Softbait braid to mono knot

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbait braid to mono knot
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What is everyones opinions on the best knot for light braid to mono trace for softbaitfishing?

And I am asking for softee'in not fancy PR knots like jiggers do...

I guess with this style of fishing we do away with swivels, even small ones for joining our trace to our mainline.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:09pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

FG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ok then GSPOT are you speaking from experience? Meaning if you've just lost your gear to a cutta can you tie these quickly and easily in a boat rocking and rolling with wet and sticky hands?

Or is this more suited to your workshop in ideal conditions?

Because I am after a simple one that can be deployed at sea if you catch my drift.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:23pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont use a knot - but I have read many articles on them - the last one was Field & Stream 8/11 - 

Light-to-heavy line splice, for tying on thicker lines such as shock leaders.

Winner: Six-turn Yucatan knot
(doubled line): 157%

Also tested:
Five-turn Bristol, or no-name,
knot (doubled line): 148%
Slim Beauty (single line): 94%
Albright (single line): 94%

I have tried tieing the Yucatan and found it easty, compared to some others that are hard.
Someone said that 6 turns might not be enough for some braids, so I suggest say 10 turns. Doubled, means making a loop in the braid before tieing the Yucatan. best for this, would be a Bimini twist.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:26pm
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surgeons knot is quick, simple and reliable
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that Letsgetem but I suck at tying Biminis with light braid...ok more practice grasshopperOuch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:52pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or you could have just done a search to find the million times this question's been asked before.

Oh and the answer to your question, back to back uni knot, with the braid folded over itself to double it's thickness. It's simple and never breaks for me........ maybe I'm just soft, but that's a whole 'nother subject.

Not quite game enough to tie it with my eyes closed, but they ain't what they used to be and I don't need alot of light to do it, so almost as good as having 'em closed?

The only problem is that if I use 40pound nylon, which I don't anymore, the knot won't go through the levelwind eye on my curado.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:11pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Thanks for that Letsgetem but I suck at tying Biminis with light braid...ok more practice grasshopperOuch

Ahh grasshopper, no need for bimini, try a 5 turn spider hitch, then yucatan. Or just double it & tie ya knot.

back to back uni another option, just make the trace about meter & a half so knot wont go thru the eye, if you want can put a bead on braid as a stopper.

A pr knot is good to tie at home 1st, then when murphy calls, well your practising will bear fruit...

UNI would be my bet, yucatan needs to be tight, a tad hard with light stuff.....

remember breathe in....out....    in....    out....   in....   out.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:26pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here's what I use....

The Improved Albright Knot

1. Double one end of the leader to form a loop. Run the main line through the loop and begin wrapping around both legs of the loop, going up to the leader.
  1. Make five wraps.
  1. Begin wrapping back down the leader, going around both legs of the leader and the previous main-line wraps.
  1. Complete five wraps back down the leader and pass the tag end through the loop, going out the same side it came in.
  1. Partially close the knot by pulling on all four strands of mono.
  1. As the knot begins to tighten, release both tags to pull only on the standing end of the line and leader.
  1. Cinch the knot, and trim tag ends.

If using mono or fluorocarbon, as the leader, this knot draws up to a very slim knot which passes easily through the guides of the rod.  I have never experienced this knot "letting go" ....

Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 4:17pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

OK, Al (and BTW I liked the pun of your forum handle as it was before...):

1.   I always tie a double, because I think the doubled light braid holds on to fluoro leader better than a single thickness or a line just doubled for the knot but cut off at the knot.  On the boat, a 6- or 7-turn Spider Hitch to make the double (10 seconds - just tried it).  I think Biminis are stronger, but far prefer to tie them on land than aboard a small dinghy or a kayak at sea.

2.  Albright as in Olfart's post, but I use a lot more turns of the double braid around the leader - typically 9 up and 7 back.  Takes buggerall more time than fewer turns. (25 seconds including trimming - just tried it.)

I have found that these work adequately for me and are quick and easy to tie. Lots of other knots, and these ones tied slightly differently, have failed to hold for me.  I find back-to-back uni knots in the softbaiting application are bulky enough to rip rod tips off - has happened to me twice, once when tied by me and once by a very well-known expert.  (No names, no pack drill.)
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 4:28pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Ok then GSPOT are you speaking from experience? Meaning if you've just lost your gear to a cutta can you tie these quickly and easily in a boat rocking and rolling with wet and sticky hands?

Or is this more suited to your workshop in ideal conditions?

Because I am after a simple one that can be deployed at sea if you catch my drift.

It is quicker than my old double then back to back uni. Smile

Have got it down to 45 seconds in Garage last night.  The trick is to wrap the braid around first an pinky finger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 4:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

OK, Al (and BTW I liked the pun of your forum handle as it was before...):

1.   I always tie a double, because I think the doubled light braid holds on to fluoro leader better than a single thickness or a line just doubled for the knot but cut off at the knot.  On the boat, a 6- or 7-turn Spider Hitch to make the double (10 seconds - just tried it).  I think Biminis are stronger, but far prefer to tie them on land than aboard a small dinghy or a kayak at sea.

2.  Albright as in Olfart's post, but I use a lot more turns of the double braid around the leader - typically 9 up and 7 back.  Takes buggerall more time than fewer turns. (25 seconds including trimming - just tried it.)

I have found that these work adequately for me and are quick and easy to tie. Lots of other knots, and these ones tied slightly differently, have failed to hold for me.  I find back-to-back uni knots in the softbaiting application are bulky enough to rip rod tips off - has happened to me twice, once when tied by me and once by a very well-known expert.  (No names, no pack drill.)

Thanks Pete, I was gonna seek out the Masters great guidance on this matterLOL

I can tie a spiders hitch no probs, out of interest how long do you make your double?

And thanks Olfart for the great diagram you ae most helpful Sir, I must have a play.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishing Addiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:11pm
Fishing Addiction View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

simple for me, double with spider hitch then back to back uni. Fast and reliable for me. If do 5 turn with braid and 3 or 4 for flouro its not too bulky but doesn't slip either
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:27pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

just this very basic albright for me with 8-15lb fireline.
I guess it is the "unimproved albright". LOL
http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_albright.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:28pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

was using Albright but now a FG knot, so smooth through the guides for casting into the wash 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote petethemeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 11:12pm
petethemeat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

was using Albright but now a FG knot, so smooth through the guides for casting into the wash 

been using the FG for jigging (50lb braid to 100lb mono) and it seems good, just seemed a little OTT for light gear. 
Do you still melt the end of the leader in to a little blob when using the FG on light stuff?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Getting jiggy with it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 12:02pm
Getting jiggy with it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Spiders hitch and then a back to back uni. Easy peasy. The back to back uni is easier to tie with the doubled mainline imo. Caught Kingies to 11kg using 5kg braid and 15lb Fluro using this knot so it works for me.
I'm what Willis was talking about
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 8:29pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Catchelot:   out of interest how long do you make your double?
[/QUOTE Catchelot:   out of interest how long do you make your double? [/QUOTE wrote:

It's usually about 1 to 1 1/2m; I doubt that the shock/ab

It's usually about 1 to 1 1/2m; I doubt that the shock/abrasion resistance reasons for a long-ish leader on mono counts much for braid, but I got into a habit.  Also if I want to change the leader to heavier or lighter, I've got heaps of doubled line to play with.  I have gone as low as 1ft double with no difference in hooking or fish playing discernible by me.

(Mind you, the "fishy stink" around the truck today wasn't discerned by me, either.  Spilt goob from some fillets I carried down to the son in Auckland, simmered in a hot cab...SWMBO was not amused.)

PS - yes, I know I always have a "PS" of some sort - I read somewhere a piece of very sage advice: "Find knots you're confident in and practice tying them until you're the best at them you can possibly be."  I am certain that my unhappiness/failure with some knots is mainly because I didn't practice doing them enough.

PPS how can a knot be 148% or 157% line strength? Or, more accurately, how on earth can that be measured independently of the line?
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 8:44pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried all sorts but keep going back to 5 turn spider hitch in the braid with back to back uni. Improved albright is supposed to be a very strong knot but I don't like it after it has been through the guides a few times i.e. it has failed on me a few times whereas the other may not be quite as strong but is more reliable tied in a hurry. I saw something on youtube where the albright was tested as the strongest so gave it a good go for softbaits. I always use the albright for a surfcasting shock leader but that's nylon to nylon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 8:52pm
JW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"I am certain that my unhappiness/failure with some knots is mainly because I didn't practice doing them enough."

Very true. When they fail you tend to go back to what you know rather than persist and risk losing a fish.
Page  123>