'Average' maintenance costs on a small family boat

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Average' maintenance costs on a small family boat
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:36am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi all,

I'm investigating getting a small family boat to fish and play primarily in and around the hauraki, currently looking at somehing like a sea nymph gullwing 14.6. They seem to be fairly well regarded and fit into the affordable first boat budget .

Apart from the initial cost of the boat, coastgaurd courses, fuel and expendables etc, what are the sort of onoing costs that I'll need to budget for?

outboard service
trailer warranty & reg
general maintenance
coastgaurd membership
????

If you can give me rough figures that'd be great

cheers guys

B
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 11:35am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

Work on 10% of the boats value give or take a bit. So a 30k boat =3k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:05pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by EditB EditB wrote:

hi all,

I'm investigating getting a small family boat to fish and play primarily in and around the hauraki, currently looking at somehing like a sea nymph gullwing 14.6. They seem to be fairly well regarded and fit into the affordable first boat budget .

Apart from the initial cost of the boat, coastgaurd courses, fuel and expendables etc, what are the sort of onoing costs that I'll need to budget for?

outboard service
trailer warranty & reg
general maintenance
coastgaurd membership
????

If you can give me rough figures that'd be great

cheers guys

B

there are several fixed costs which dont vary much from boat to boat.

coastguard is about $100 per annum and trailer rego is about the same. you might allow $500pa for boat insurance. trailer COFs are about $50 a pop.

general maintenance and outboard servicing could be variable depending on the existing condition of hull, trailer and outboard. outboard servicing is probably an annual event for most people, and you might allow $1000pa. trailer might be a few hundred per year and perhaps another grand spent on the hull itself annually.

what you probably cant budget for are 'big unexpected's' - that might include serious repairs to a rotten hull or trailer, right up to complete replacement of the outboard - which is a real possibility considering that many v146's are approaching 30years old and some of the motors are pretty old too.

if your boat budget means youre looking at 30year old 14ftrs, i suspect that upkeep will cost you every spare dollar youve got.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 1:19pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About $3.40 an hour for me based on what i have spent maintaining my boat,including  a $400 dollar bill for a gasket I wanted replaced and a new seal kit for some braid....
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Black Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:54pm
Black Max View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I reckon something like this.  Based on 14’6” fiberglass boat with a 3 / 4 cylinder outboard on the back, total rig value $10,000ish.

Coastguard Membership              $100

Outboard service                             $400

Insurance                                            $350

Trailer WOF                                        $50

Trailer Registration                          $35

Plus an annual allowance for service items / general maintenance / upkeep, such as replacement start battery, new flares every 3 or so years, work on upholstery, rust on the trailer, or a repair to the outboard as needed etc… Say another $500 per year

So maybe budget for $125 per month.

Note – this doesn’t include any allowance for new toys for the boat, like the latest GPS/ Sounder or replacing the outboard with a new Four Stroke!  J

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:08pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the input guys That's all good info.
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah bro what ever the boat cost you, double that cos you will want all the electronic toys and live bait tanks and then you will get a taste of gamefishing and will have to buy a full set of blingy gold reels and standup rods plus the harnesses and then outriggers and tuna tubes then about a thousand lures and and and then your budget will keep going up and then you will buy a bigger boat and and...I better shutupLOLOuch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rockstar from Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 5:52pm
Rockstar from Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Nah bro what ever the boat cost you, double that cos you will want all the electronic toys and live bait tanks and then you will get a taste of gamefishing and will have to buy a full set of blingy gold reels and standup rods plus the harnesses and then outriggers and tuna tubes then about a thousand lures and and and then your budget will keep going up and then you will buy a bigger boat and and...I better shutupLOLOuch

Ain't that the truth.........Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 6:03pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont forget initial safety things - including - life jackets, VHF radio, ELB (locator beacon), flares, riding light, nav lights, spotlight
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 7:26pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nope not forgetting the safety things, just interested in the ongoing associated coasts of owning a small boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:11pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heaps of glue bro heaps
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodamboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:47pm
nodamboat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Black Max Black Max wrote:

I reckon something like this.  Based on 14’6” fiberglass boat with a 3 / 4 cylinder outboard on the back, total rig value $10,000ish.

Coastguard Membership              $100

Outboard service                             $400

Insurance                                            $350

Trailer WOF                                        $50

Trailer Registration                          $35

Plus an annual allowance for service items / general maintenance / upkeep, such as replacement start battery, new flares every 3 or so years, work on upholstery, rust on the trailer, or a repair to the outboard as needed etc… Say another $500 per year

So maybe budget for $125 per month.

Note – this doesn’t include any allowance for new toys for the boat, like the latest GPS/ Sounder or replacing the outboard with a new Four Stroke!  J

I reckon that's right on the mark.
Insurance can be from $275 from club marine - which is what I pay for $25k insured or anything less is still the same (don't get the magazine!), but to be honest, for a 5k boat I wouldn't bother with it, as long as your car covered what your towing - damage to third party's only obviously.

Keep that extra $500 / year in a seperate account and forget about it till you need it to replace something - not buy something new!

Also depending on where you live and launch you may need / want to join a Boat club. MBBC is roughly 230 per year but the kicker is the $450 joining fee.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote welshfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 9:31pm
welshfisher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i have a nice first boat for sale on the forum if your interested, would even deliver it to aucks for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:07pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers welshfisher but while I may be investigating, SWMBO needs some more negotiating, hence finding out some ongoing costs etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 11:38pm
NZfrnd View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

SWMBO lolol..who asks them? :P just buy one and say merry xmas to me! (like i did..and no, i didnt sleep on the couch).

On a serious note,  on one of the earlier posts, i have a check list that might be useful in looking for a used boat. i gave that to the guy who did the pre purchase inspection (absolute must). i have my cars insured with state, so they insured the boat for me (just today) based on the pre purchase  inspection. Like most companies they did ask for a surveyors report if the boat is 20 + years, but when i told them i did the pre purchase inspection, they went with that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Huggybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 3:51am
Huggybear View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If you get a good Sea Nymph 14.6 you won't be disappointed. Best boat you can get in that size. Don't worry about the age. There's plenty of good examples out there. Just get one with a modern outboard.

Black Max's run-down of costs is pretty spot on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moki Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 7:44am
Moki Marko View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Huggybear Huggybear wrote:

If you get a good Sea Nymph 14.6 you won't be disappointed. Best boat you can get in that size. Don't worry about the age. There's plenty of good examples out there. Just get one with a modern outboard.

Black Max's run-down of costs is pretty spot on.

agree - the hulls are good, but everything else will need to be replaced - the trailer will be shot, every fuel line, all the wiring, controls etc - and don't even think about trying to get a 40 year old outboard running reliably! I know it sounds a bit depressing . If you can find one that has been updated, go for it, but if it's a 40 year old lawn ornament, I'd leave it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 8:34am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i have seen a few Sea Nymphs with originl trailers in mint condition......They are excellent hulls and represent good value for money, I have had one 50 kilometers of Cape Karikari chasing broadbill at night, No worries. If you find one with an ETECH expect your maintence costs to go up!!!
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:23am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some of the ones i saw when looking for mine were on the original trailers and ot too bad. very few had the original motors. most hulls have been updated. a couple were updated so much as they wouldn't likely need much done at all, but they were asking over ten grand. the cheaper ones all needed something fixed or replaced.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 10:47am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah that's what I've been seeing on TM. anything over 8k has had some work done recently, most things under will need some work. Just need to get the $$$ & missus to align and I can stop invesitgating and start looking
Page  12>