Kahawai – Food... or just cat food?

Page  123 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gurner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahawai – Food... or just cat food?
    Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 6:53pm
Gurner View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not sure if mods can make polls on here, be great if you could.

So, who eats (bled) Kahawai... and who turns their nose up at it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 6:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fresh Kahawai...any style is great bled or not.

Kahawai frozen...nah becomes bait or cat food.

For us we prefer to smoke, sashimi, coconut marinade...Thumbs Up 

Don't forget the gills and guts removed staright away and rigged on big hooks makes for a premo big snapper bait.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 6:59pm
elf View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Love it.
Bleed it straight away and make sure I eat it within the day.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:01pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

bled and smoked fresh the same day, ........Thumbs Up
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nebula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:19pm
Nebula View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I eat kaha, never frozen it b4 to busy eating emLOL 
When it's all over, it's not who you were. It's whether you made a difference.
- Layzie Bone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:40pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

kill them outright with a knife to the brain when you first get them in then put them straight into an icey chilly bin, leave them there for 6 or more hours then fillet them.

I believe the strong taste/smell comes from lactic (or similar) acid build up from when the fish fights/goes nuts when hooked.  If they aren't killed quickly then chilled, or filleted to quickly, the acid doesn't have time to disperse.  Much like wild game.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:42pm
Catchit View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

favourite fish taste wise
"We gave Sir Peter a knighthood," Mr Key said, "And if we could give him a second one, we would."

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cigar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:04pm
Cigar View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I love it fresh (fried, BBQed, poached or smoked), but it sure doesn't freeze well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:17pm
Fletch View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Love it, panfied, smoked, bbq, but allways....allways, same day. Got a cat that like it to though so...I eat firstWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Catch n release them for me and definetly no where near any cat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:26pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think the popularity of salt-ice and good chillybins has improved the eating quality of kahawai as food in recent times.....the old sugar sack method did the species no favours imo and appears to have tainted people's views on the kahawai as food.

A nice hot maple smoke in the Bradley - 2nd only to spearfish/striped marlin....nana always used to poach it in milk and served with a white sauce....as delish and as comforting as her sunday roast.....tres bon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:33pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

such an awesome underrated fish, i love to spear a few. Smoked!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:34pm
Bruce View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting observation strx7
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:35pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i bleed mine asap and place them on ice. i then smoke them with manuka and then make smoked fish pie with them. damn good. all the neighbourhood gets some
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

kahawai for the thai green curry. trim out any red bits and pop in at the end. we've tried other fish but this is world class. hot smoked is nice or smoked traditionally by uncle jake is superb. so yes, some great food in the kahawai for us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:38pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

No thanks .... altho plenty of friends plus a wife that like it.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:43pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

x2 for smoked kahawai pie there Edge....really is the goods!

Reckon some of the hot smoked stuff i've done recently has come out like crayfish....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:50pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice mate. I make sure that I smoke them slowly ( like sometimes 6 hours or so) some people dont like them when they come out but they sure do make great pie!! just use the salt and brown sugar method for preparing them . nothing that flash really. they come out good though

when you comin down to the 'mandel for a fish kezz?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jaypeegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:53pm
jaypeegee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

freshly killed bled gilled and gutted
smoked, flaked and mixed with cream cheese,onion,lemon juice,worcester sauce
mashed up together 1-1 ratio cream cheese to kahawai , other bits to taste
spread on crusty french bread
impossible to stop til its finished

"You don't have to be smart to laugh at a fart, but you have to be stupid not to."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 10:09pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i find the same with large trevally, if left to die in the bin, when cooking they have a very strong odour which just about puts me off them, but it killed, chilled, left for 6 hours or so, then filleted, no cooking smell. 

Makes me wonder if kahawai and trevally that are killed outright with a spear and do not struggle on a line before being killed, have even better flesh & eating quality than line caught ones.
Page  123 5>