Fishing in the Karangahake Gorge.

Page  <1 789
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 6:52pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The October visit is for Whanganui river. The world champs on that river put the word out how good it used to be (some of us respected that) , last visit 6 years ago I found 43 anglers from an Auckland club its the last time I was there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 8:59pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Ok guys, just getting a wee bit personal so I have removed the last post.
Shark-Bait has acknowledged his mistake & has indicated it won't happen again.
I think it's now time to move on.

S-B, one thing that was mentioned was placing a fish on dry stones etc for a photo before release is not gonna be good for the fish's chance of survival.
Perhaps keep it in the net & in the water if you can.

as you were...Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:25pm
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I've just moved to Auckland and had a fee day today before I start work so thought I would check out the gorge after some helpful advice from S-B. It was a stunning day but a little chilly to start with and a cold breeze. The river had a bit of colour so no chance to spot anything. Nymphed my way through a few runs and pools and picked up a couple of energetic rainbows about 1.5lb. Lots of nice looking water, looking forward to going back when it's a bit clearer. A lovely way to spend a few hours in the winter sun.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk'd_again Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:33pm
skunk'd_again View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You should take the camera along next time Fergie and make another video, looking forward to seeing this gorge everyone's raving about. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fergie82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 10:34am
fergie82 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by skunk'd_again skunk'd_again wrote:

You should take the camera along next time Fergie and make another video, looking forward to seeing this gorge everyone's raving about. Smile

Will do mate, I'll take my camerawoman with me next time!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 5:50pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Walked into the section above the gorge today and just got frustrated with the lack of access to the water. Over grown banks, rock walls and people everywhere. I wont be back!
Float tubing is so much more enjoyable!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 8:31am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You need to channel the inner mountain goat in a few places. Saw lots of people flicking flies about on our way back through the Gorge on Saturday towing the boat. Would be good if they would post a report.....................................................................
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote o Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 1:19pm
o Neill View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That was for a fly fishing qualifier, they have only just started using the river again after they stopped using it as fish numbers were seen to be too low. Be interesting to see their results.
F and G I think need to look carefully at this river and what could be changed for it.
Unfortunately a recent torn medial ligament was being looked after by me yesterday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mellowpuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 8:59pm
mellowpuff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where abouts do you park/enter down to the river?? Drove through there on the weekend and was looking at the far side walking along the cycle track and dropping down into likely spots. Other then that I have no idea haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:29am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

At this time of the year the lower reaches about mackey town are generally the best.  Park at the turn off to Bulls Wool and fish down from there.  

The trout will be feeding up big time on the white bait so silver z spinners or a clear bibed minnow are the go.  Im no fly fisherman but if you are the trout are also always full of green beetles in this area so i would use something like them.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mellowpuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 10:43am
mellowpuff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Would that be the turn off onto rahu road?? Thanks for the info
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 11:07am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thats the one. 

There will even be some good fish to be caught right behind Paeroa at the moment.  Fish a lure slow deep down in the pools for some bigger lurkers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2015 at 10:43pm
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beter late than never.
Was down the Gorge about 4 weeks back for a few days so had to have a fish, plenty of small fish around to 40cm & I did manage to catch a nice Rainbow for My dinner.

Happy Days......Wink

Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 2:41pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey all, heading down through the gorge tomorrow evening. I am a bit new to all of this, so if you can give me any advice it will be well appreciated! Don't have long to cast a line but will try and placate the wife long enough for half an hour or so. :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mike.Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 5:08pm
Mike.Thomas View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you only have limited time, park up close to the river and concentrate on the fast water and riffles between the pools, they always seem to hold a few feeding fish! You can't beat a small grey/blue Parachute dry fly this time of year.
One good spot is just before you get to the big Karangahake car park there is a bridge over the river, drive over and park on the far side (Large Carpark right there) and fish the riffly water just upstream of the bridge, there is a small track down to the water on the downstream side of the bridge.
Hope you get a few.
All the best.
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 6:41am
Silver
Silver

Thanks heaps! Yeah I think I've seen trout at the big carpark bridge - Good sized ones too. Did you mean river road about 200m before that carpark? Is there a rail bridge right next to the road bridge?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Essexkiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2016 at 6:53am
Essexkiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Mad Spearo Mad Spearo wrote:

Thanks heaps! Yeah I think I've seen trout at the big carpark bridge - Good sized ones too. Did you mean river road about 200m before that carpark? Is there a rail bridge right next to the road bridge?

Don't get excited about the fish you see from the bridge at the main tourist carpark there mate, they're mullet not trout.  Always there swimming around in small shoals, and yep some decent sized ones. 

+1 to what Mike said. Fish the faster water, and the heads of the deeper pools where the fast water flows in.  I normally use a nymph under a dry going upstream, and switch to a streamer swung across the current going back down.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 7:32am
Silver
Silver

Thanks team,

I tried above advice for an hour or two but no luck on the fish front. It was an interesting and enjoyable location to spend the avo while others were stuck in traffic. Will try again for sure!

Cheers
Page  <1 789