Fishing in the Karangahake Gorge.

Page  <12345 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr.Dundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:55am
Mr.Dundee View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good stuff SharkbaitThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 12:11pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Shark-Bait Shark-Bait wrote:

Hi CR, have caught a few fish in the Gorge now & have put them all back apart from the Browny.
First nice fish i have taken out of there & the Mrs likes smoked Trout so off to the Bradleys.
But yes i agree with what you say.
Happy Days.........Wink

fair enough.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:58am
Shark-Bait View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had to shoot to Tauranga yesterday so on the way back i stopped at the Gorge, was late arvo & a bit of a breeze blowing so I found a sheltered pool & after a few casts picked up a nice little Rainbow just over 40cm & weighed just on 2lb, lovely little fish in top condition, so after a couple of photos was back into the river to fight another day.
Had a couple more hits but after some jumping around they managed to throw the hook, gotta love those Rainbows acrobatics, ya win some & ya lose some.
Once again lots of Mullet in the river system & what seem to be Whitebait or something similar.
I must say i have fallen in love with the Gorge, such a magical place, crystal clear waters, the sounds of the birds, we are truly blessed in this place we call home.
Hope to be back real soon.
Happy Days........Wink

Life is short so make the most of every day.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:27pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done man, looks like you have been having a good time in the gorge.

where abouts did you see the mullet? be interested in seeing some.

many years ago i was swimming in the big water hole at macky town and saw a very strange fish which i still don't understand what it was or why it was there.

It looked exactly like a grandady harpuka or scorpion fish , it was even the red colour.

any ideas what it may have been? maybe a mutant cockabully?

didn't look like any of these guys on this page either
http://www.southernencounter.co.nz/animal_info/bullies.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 8:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Hiya Corokingi.........yep been fishing the Gorge a wee bit here & there, such a lovely place with the odd fish so bonus.
The Mullet seem to be all over the place up to the big car park/toilets, they seem to be in the shallows feeding on the weed covering the rocks, would really like to no if they affect the Trout fishing.
Any ideas ???

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 10:34pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

no sure , never seen any that far up the river

will have to have a look and take some photo's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Slab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 3:44pm
Slab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Coroking, did the grandaddy ahrpuka look like this?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 9:02pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

nah it was pure orange like the grandady hapuka, looked like it was from the same family

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 11:21am
Platinum
Platinum

Slab, thats a Perch, havent seen any in the Gorge but thats not to say they arnt in there.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 11:24am
Platinum
Platinum

Corokingi havent seen anything like that yet, maybe your right, it could be an inbreed Cockabully, i here you get a few inbreeds in the country..........Wink

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:34pm
Platinum
Platinum

Had a shot in the Gorge on Sunday for a few hours, lots of small fish around, must have spotted 20 odd fish.
Got a couple around the 350mm mark, nothing big, was windy as -uck.
A few people around to trying there luck.
No pic's as didnt have time plus didnt want to drop it in the river, phone that is.
Water looks down & very clear.
Will be back in a couple of weeks to try my luck again.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pole Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:45pm
Pole Dancer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That orange it'd be a Koi Carp.
www.clarkreid.co.nz   FFF Certified Casting Instructor / Umpqua Designer Tier
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snap T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2011 at 9:37pm
Snap T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've seen some large Koi in the bottom reaches, but also a couple of monster browns in the headwaters of the Waitaf', and very gold in colour, almost looking orange. I also recall a photo Yoshi at Rod and Reel had of a very orange looking poppa brown.
I've never seen this extreme colouring in any other river system?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 11:09am
Platinum
Platinum

Howdy All.
Been a few months since have been to the Gorge, too bloody busy over the Xmas season for my liking.
So managed to get down there on Sunday for a hour or so, fished a few pools & must say after the storm over Friday & Saturday was expecting it to be unfishable but to my surprise the water was clear & not to high.
Had a few follows by some little ones & on the last cast had a nice Rainbow hit my lure but dropped off just as quick, ya win some ya lose some.
Still a bloody nice way to spend a couple of hours.
Anybody else had any joy down that way ??????
Till next time.
Cheers & Happy Days.
Wink

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Corokingi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 8:26pm
Corokingi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ive driven through the gorge a few times lately, but keep forgetting the gear for a quick flick.

should be heaps of fish in there at the moment , so must remember next time.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2012 at 9:25pm
Platinum
Platinum

Howdy all, been a while since been down at the Gorge, always takes my breath away that place, so magical.
Anyway got there about 4.30 & walked the banks till dark, fished just over the bridge by the railway, had a few small fish follow but no strikes today, lots of fly on the water just on dark, maybe the fly rod would have been a better option than the spinners today.
Has anybody els on here been fishing the Gorge or any of the little rivers down that way ??????  if so hows it been fishing ????????
Would of thought the fish would have moved up the top end to spawn by now, one thing i do know is the water is clear but bloody cold.
Happy Days.
Smile

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 6:37pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good reading this thread, you've done well in the karagahake SB
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 7:43pm
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

does the season close for this river, or just the bit above Victoria St in Waihi?
licence required?
I am thinking of freezing my balls off and pretending to learn how to frsh water fish
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Shark-Bait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 8:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Tipper Tipper wrote:

does the season close for this river, or just the bit above Victoria St in Waihi?
licence required?
I am thinking of freezing my balls off and pretending to learn how to frsh water fish

Dont quote me Tipper but i think its just the top part you mention & yes you need a license.
And your right, you will freeze ya nuts off, the water was bloody cold over the weekend, good set of waders will sort that out.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.

www.oceanangler.co.nz
   www.fullonfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 4:27pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Re your qustion about mullet affecting the trout fishing SB

IMO has no affect whatsoever as the mullet unlike eels are 
not aggressive towards young trout & they feed on different
things so do not compete for food,

Am almost certain that mullet that move up into freshwater
do so as part of their spawning process & can often be sighted
from various bridges holding in large schools at certain times
of the year, in the deeper sections of water.

Don't waste your time fishing for them tho .... unless you are a
better fisherman than the thousands that have tried & failed. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Page  <12345 9>