Tow Vehicles

Page  <1 12131415>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2015 at 8:59pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

All good stuff.
Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 2:33pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol 2 tonne you need at least a LC 4000 engine.

For a 18ft plus glass boat on the cheap, landcruiser 80 series

Had a 100 series v8 on a 21ft seafarer in OZ.

For anything smaller, a 6 cylinder falcodore wagon on the cheap.

Had a $5k falcon 6 cylinder on a 492f in OZ.

Pretty much any 2 cylinder will tow a 14ft and under tinny or RIB. but id go an AWD.

Try to get the main bits anti rust sprayed if you dont go cheap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 3:21pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks FizFisho.
Picking up Territory tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tangi DnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Tangi DnA View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like the BMW X5 3.0lt petrol, has 2.7t towing cap and weighs nearly the same, tows very well and can pick up an ex NZ new reasonably priced, I have an 06 model and was 25k from memory. Missus uses it to tow horse float and loves it.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lemon, ...and a shot of tequila.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 9:55pm
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, looking to upgrade my 96 surf. towing a 5.5m ali. Would a 06 diesel Pathfinder be any good. They have a 2.5 diesel , havn't heard much about them. Do some ramps with rocks and beach launches . Tow up to huia and coromandel .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Winckel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 12:15am
Winckel View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I used too tow my 9.5M Cresta Craft with a 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V10 Turbo Diesel 5.0L and now have a 2008 facelift model.

Absolutely effortless and less than 20L/100KM with 3.3 Ton up its backside.

Self levelling suspension and Sensabrake. 

Tends to sit in 5th and 6th gear most of the time on the open road.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:40am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Winckel Winckel wrote:

I used too tow my 9.5M Cresta Craft with a 2005 Volkswagen Touareg V10 Turbo Diesel 5.0L and now have a 2008 facelift model.
Absolutely effortless and less than 20L/100KM with 3.3 Ton up its backside.
Self levelling suspension and Sensabrake. 
Tends to sit in 5th and 6th gear most of the time on the open road.
Crikey Winckel that is a big boat - couldn't imagine even getting that in my driveway!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sposman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:17am
sposman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi, another great wagon , how are they for getting serviced etc, anything to look out for when buying one. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 9:27am
the angler View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's light for a 9.5m boat our 7.3 weighs 3.3 fully fuelled .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:47pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Re Ford Territory.
Picked it up a few hours ago. But here's a thing.
The plate on the factory fitted tow bar states:- Un-braked 1000kg. Braked 1600kg.
Now a 1000kg load on an un-braked trailer is pretty good.
But just 600kg extra for a braked trailed seems to me odd.
I thought that the towing capacities of a vehicle were related to the ability of the vehicles braking system to handle the towed load. Therefore I would have thought the capacity to tow 1000kg un-braked would mean at least double that for a braked trailer.
Any thoughts.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wefaknis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:25pm
Wefaknis View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On my falcon its got a towing weight of 2200 kg ( from memory ).. it must be the tow bar style ?? Maybe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:29pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yeah, should be 2300kg depending on the year.. 1600kg is the standard ba falcon rating..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ad Astra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 5:53pm
Ad Astra View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

2000+kg sounds about right. I think I'll have a chat with the local tow bar fitters here and see what they have to say.
No good talking to Ford. They'd just want to sell me one of their 'pricy' jobs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ohsoslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 6:01pm
Ohsoslow View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The towbar won't be made by ford I doubt.. Will probably be best bars, westfalia or hayman reese.. (Sp) See if you can find a name on it, and contact tow bar company directly about it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 8:29pm
Seadoc View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The standard tow bar is rated for 1600kg(braked) You will have to fit a heavy duty bar to get the rating up to 2300kg braked. I had mine fitted at BestBars, was around $800 from memory
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 10:42pm
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My territory has a 2700kg from loadmaster. I think the diesel is slightly more than petrol but it's the heavy tow bar kit that moves it from 1600ish to low 2300 +.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2015 at 9:44pm
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Can anyone tell me how thirsty and reliable the petrol Mitsi Pajero's are?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 12:02am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a Pajero 3.5 GDI for a few years.  Was always reliable, but you need to run them on the red gas not the green stuff apparently, also the engine needs quite an odd grade of oil.  Not the most economical vehicle in the world, pretty crap round town.  Actually not too bad on a decent run though.  But towing capability is very good for what you can pick them up for.  I bought it when I was needing to tow a 2t boat after a bighorn blew an engine trying to tow it up big hills.  As it worked out I got a smaller boat, but still a reasonable weight -buccaneer 510.  The Pajero hardly noticed it was there.  Heading over the Brynderwyn hills I was overtaking stuff doing the speed limit no problem.  Towed the boat up to the BOI and back to south of Auckland effortlessly.

I swapped back to a bighorn as I was towing the smaller boat.  A full tank of gas in the Pajero (which was $175 -about 80L I think) could do as little as 400km if on short runs, but up to 550km on a decent run.  Didn't seem to make much difference towing or not.

Sometimes I miss the power, but the bighorn is definitely cheaper to run.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 6:25am
Stefan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Thanks Kevin, I have owned two Bighorns and loved them but not great on hills and dropped a cylinder on the last one. I didn't know this was a common problem... I have a Senator 520 and we bought a diesel Santa Fe which is great but has now been taken over as the family car. Two carseats bikes etc permanently in the car. Not having my own wagon feels like my balls have been put in a jar hence I'm looking at buying an old something... Not sure I have the $$$ for a diesel anymore which is why I'm looking at petrol. Going through old posts here have left me with more questions though... Thanks for the update, sounds like a Pajero might be a bit too thirsty for my liking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spectrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 5:44pm
Spectrum View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

pulls the 5 ton rig sweet as

Page  <1 12131415>