Bloody Gulps!

Page  <1 56789>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Downtown Downtown wrote:

There's no such thing as a cider man mups

You Kiwi softcocks have not drank the proper English stuff LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by piwikiwi piwikiwi wrote:

Muppet that explains everything! I never used to use secret sauce but the zmans still worked pretty good. Got some recently and put the whole tube into the zman container and phew smelly.

Your meant to squeeze on a bait a bit of a time every few casts LOL Don't worry clean them with the Heinies its about all its good for. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 6:40pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Yeah I cant be bothered with the finer points of fishing LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:35pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Downtown Downtown wrote:

There's no such thing as a cider man mups

You Kiwi softcocks have not drank the proper English stuff LOL

R U referring to CSB and NewCastle Brown Ale?LOLBeer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:48pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strongbow Al LOL

You know the real ciderhouses back in the UK seen 2 pints of cider knock over blokes who can drink 12 pints of beer no worries 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:49pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kiwi ciders are good to be fair 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 7:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Strongbow Al LOL 

Thats Astralian!Embarrassed

Yeah I know Scrumpy and othersApprove
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Manly Yaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 7:53am
Big Manly Yaka View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah Dan like everyone I think I've given gulps a fair go, and still do throw one out even now and again (birthday and Xmas pressies), but pretty much only buy Zmans these days. Still have limited success with micro jigs/Kabura's etc, usually persevere with them for a while then go back to SB. I just enjoy that kind of fishing more I think.
Actually the one time of the year I like the gulps is springtime at RP, dropping those big 6" curly tails into snapper schools can tempt out the big fellas.
Oh and your right about the NZ Cider Dan, my wife and her mum love it...Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:23am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ass
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:54pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gulp stinks, may as well use squid strips on a jighead (which actually works bloody well!)

You haven't had cider till you have had some old Rosie!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Potty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 8:59pm
Potty View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

Gulp stinks, may as well use squid strips on a jighead (which actually works bloody well!)

You haven't had cider till you have had some old Rosie!

Best cider is Dicksin Cider http://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
Love fishing, love my job. It's a bloody shame that they clash.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 9:58pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Two interesting observations:    A) Most of the Auckland competitors in the Taranaki Classic come down with an assortment of softies and usually have a bad time on day one.   On day two most have switched to bait and berley and start catching fish.

B) I have been fishing out of Papa Aroha on the Coro for more than 10 years.   When I started fishing from that camp almost everybody used soft baits ( Gulp) as the then manager really promoted it.    Over the years the regulars have changed back to bait and berley and the shop hardly sells any soft baits now.    Some use squid or other bait on a softbait hook and do quite well.    This goes to show that fish know better.    

Have you ever wondered just how many fish actually swim up to one's softbait and don't bite it?    If you want to find out just put a piece of squid on the softbaited hook and compare the hits with a plain softy without that squid.    It is an eye opener to those who really want to "see".

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:19am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

Two interesting observations:    A) Most of the Auckland competitors in the Taranaki Classic come down with an assortment of softies and usually have a bad time on day one.   On day two most have switched to bait and berley and start catching fish.

B) I have been fishing out of Papa Aroha on the Coro for more than 10 years.   When I started fishing from that camp almost everybody used soft baits ( Gulp) as the then manager really promoted it.    Over the years the regulars have changed back to bait and berley and the shop hardly sells any soft baits now.    Some use squid or other bait on a softbait hook and do quite well.    This goes to show that fish know better.    

Have you ever wondered just how many fish actually swim up to one's softbait and don't bite it?    If you want to find out just put a piece of squid on the softbaited hook and compare the hits with a plain softy without that squid.    It is an eye opener to those who really want to "see".

Rainbow

no doubt all true, but there is more to fishing than catching fish Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 6:41am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Rainbow

Haha, very funny, i personally havent used bait for 10 years and get more than my share, often fish with a bait fisherman who hardly contributes to the bin when my mate and i fill it up with all sorts of fish caught on softbaits and jigs
The fish have all 3 choices,  bait, sbait, jigs and it is normally sb and jigs that do the damage
Go figureLOLLOLLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:05am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Rainbow

Have I ever wondered about fish not biting it? No Rainbow because I watch them on my fishfinder all the time. I have seen them in schools 5-10m thick with 5 -10 fish heading up anything to 10m at a time to intercept a falling bait. Also having great success with jigs without a hint of scent on them. Fish are stupid they don't know any better if they are hungry they will eat it but with softbaits if they are annoyed by it they will still attack it. If your fishing on this thread well done you got bites. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:10am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:12am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:14am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those 3 jigheads were from one day in spring. And above you can clearly see the snapper coming up at least a few metres to get my bait. That is just typical of them and so easy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 7:44am
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Muppet you are clearly not choosing to "see" 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We have been a s/bait and bait boat for a while now.
Sometimes one of the crew is a dedicated S/Bait/ lure person.
Personally Im both, what ever works on the day.
On most occasions both work.. if on a rare occasions one doesn't it will be the s bait.
Also of big note, dropping a burely trail makes a big difference to both, espec when fishing gets hard.
 The other really big noticeable thing is when baits dont work is when they are not hung right....
When soft baits lures dont work is dirty water, espec when deeper and the lure doesnt ' represent what the fish are feeding on very well.

Then there is seasonal choices (size/ type) of both s baits and baits.

Since we use both, I conclude what works when and where is very much (not totally) dependant on decisions made at the butt of the rod.... no different than skipper doing homework, days before, planning the trip according to records/ wind/ tide/ etc.
 I dont see one works better than the other at all.

Advantage of a S/bait thu... as often happens if sitting drifting in the right place, suddenly the surface breaks around you... a soft bait can be grabbed or pulled up quickly cast out quicker easier than changing a trace and sinker.
Page  <1 56789>