Solomons diary with full pictures AND video!

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solomons diary with full pictures AND video!
    Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:03pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, here I am in paradise at Zipolo Habu in the Solomons. Going out for a fish this arvo I think, try these lures on the gts etc. Just thought I would say thanks to gofish for the lunker city s.p.'s, they were deadly off the beach here this morning!
Got up here wondering if I had enough stuff on hand to do all the things I want to do, then opened the cases of gear I have left here from before and sent up in containers recntly, and boy, I am a schmuck.... I have TONS of everything! It is kinda like xmas!
Well, enjoy the weather down there in NZ guys, damn it is hot up here! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:18pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You sure can go off some people.... Wink
I look outside at the moment... yuck and that's being polite!

It seems like we were up there only yesterday...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 3:33pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good for you Captn Asparagus Thumbs Up Lifes too short not to enjoy.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 4:14pm
Titanium
Titanium

I was standing right there dagwood, about 5 mins ago, bagged a small golden trev and a spanish mack (up til I got it to the beach, when it finally snipped off the line....I claim it as a capture though, had I had a net, it woulda been mine! :-) ).
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...... nice. Love it here (gloat gloat gloat.....)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 4:49pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Say hello to Joe and Lisa from Anne and I, Stu .Tell tosca I will be back so he can put me onto a Sailfish and a Wahoo .God your a lucky ******* .50 knts and pissistently raining here 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote A C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 6:37pm
A C View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ahhh Stu - what a way to spend a few days eh ........... meanwhile those poor little asparagus spears cry for attention.
Aye-Aye cloth eyes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 9:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

C'mon Stu get your priorities right. You should be here suffering like us.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

My heart, it bleeds for you, honest it does, no, reaaly, honestly! Another beaut day, taska took a bunch of aussies out fishing, so I satisfied myself by seeing how these various stickbaits look in the water (Crystal clear and glass calm makes it sooooo easy!) by casting off the jetty (as pictured above)
Chucked out a little Wide-glide, a little 5in one, not the big ones, after some baitfish had been mugged,and a big bluefin trev barrelled up out of no-where and engulfed it! Medium (30lb) spin set just couldn't slow it down, so we piled into one of the boats moored at the jetty and with one of the guys paddling on the bow, we tried to follow it. We only got about 20m from the wharf, but in clear water, free of the various moooring bouys etc, when the trev pooped out onto the surface... with a shark holding it in the middle, then another 2 or three small blacktips just piled over each other to monster it. Much white water and no lure any more. Eeek! Bugger! So, Mark at gourocks, if you read this, pleaseplease send me some more of them! (I only had 2, and now only 1 left, eek!)
Bit of a bugger, so I continued my project, tied on a R2C Doggie to see how that looked, first cast (this time on a proper popper casting set) , hey-di-ho, biff it out (this is about 10 mins later), and first bloody cast, wham! Another one, this time a slender trev, but not bad size 6kg, I was moderately extremely chuffed to finally land a creditable trev off the wharf here! :-)

turns out to be a Tille Trevaly I think.
So, now I am a little more confident of the effectiveness of the stickbaits, I am keen to give them a decent crack on the munda bar tomorrow. Roll on brother! :-)
We did have rain here too, for those who feel agrieved... however, half an hour later, she is sunny, hot, and bloody beautiful here again! :-)
So, no pics til I get home though..... in 3 weeks.
Said Hi to Joe for you Steve, and to Taska. I hope to head off to Bobae village in a couple of days and deliver the stuff for the school kids over there. Man, it is gonna be a full boat that trip.... bins of school books, balls, water tanks and all  the other stuff we have sent up in the last 3 containers will finally get delivered! :-)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:45pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

good one asparagus looking forward to up date on trip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:52pm
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sunds like a nice place Stu. I'm trying to find the island on Boogle earth but no luck, you got a reference point that may show.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:58pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Aye ... aye .... great reports Captain ... kep um cummin ( a bit of local dialect )
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 6:59pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There was some trouble up there in the Solomons...is it safe now?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 7:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Hem orrite naow. :-)
Try googling Munda  or Gizo, Solomon Islands. Youll see the general area. The island due west of Lola is Parara. North is Kohinggo, and south about 10 miles off is Rendova. I can't load pics etc here, so if you put up a screen cap from google earth (as long as that is not breaching copyright), I will show you the place.
Guys just back from the fad.... 2 mahimahi, baracuda, 3 yellowfin and lost a BIG yfin coz the halco broke in half! Guess where I am gonna go tomorrow!

edit:... Joe ( the owner) has just given me the gps co-ords for the jetty.... S 8 deg, 18' 28", E 157 deg, 09' 55". There ya go!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 8:17pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stu ,take lots of photos of the kids getting the goodies please might make asking for more easier when you can show those Solomon kids with big smiles on dials over simple things like a soccer ball
Dave I found it by looking for the "Vona vona lagoon 
If you post anything about chillied mudcrabs or fresh squid bar snacks or or anything nice up there your dead Capt
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 8:38pm
Titanium
Titanium

Mahimahi and crayfish on menu tonite. Whole crayfish dinner, NZD$35. Not bad really....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 9:22pm
Monty View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Someone up there give him a bunch in da teefs so he cant eat it Ouch Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 9:26pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hate you captainWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 8:30pm
Titanium
Titanium

Crayfish patties for me tonight. Very yum.
Went to the fads today, beaut weather, and couldn't catch anything decent coz the skippies were everywhere, and when we did hook up on a yft, all we wound up with was a head...blooody sharks! Wahoo abbreviated one lure and took the swivel out of another dammit.
Still was fun for 3 three hours, then we cruised back to munda bar for some poppering....well, stickbaiting for me.
Bagged a very nice red bass on one nice new lure, ChrisW, they work mate!

After a relaxing arvo at the resort, Joe and I headed out for an evening fish thru the diamond narrows. tied on the gold r2c doggie I have mentioned elsewhere, chucked it into the first bunch of baitfish, whammo! Nice 15lb gt! Cool! At the same time Joe got a nice 4kg bluefin trev too, so we were well chuffed.

Well, I am chuffed  and stuffed, had dinner and off to the scratcher for the nite...cheers all,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 5:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

Man, this heat! It is brilliant! :-) Yesterday had a lazy day, went out for the arvo with a mate bottom fishing off the back of Parara Island. 200m from the island, and you are in 200m of water, fishing for assorted jobfish and snappers  etc. Only got a few ,nothing flash, gold line jobfish, rusty jobfish and some comet gropers, but still, a nice way to while away the day.
Just cannot get nough of the sea here. The deepest blue you can imagine, we were bowling along Parara with about 1m swells slowly rolling thru to crash into the cliffs, the contrast of the tropical green jungle on the cliff tops, the pure white spray of hte waves and the deep blue water really just makes you go "woah!"
Today made an excursion across to the Haipei Lagoon/reef area, on the NNW tip of Rendova Island. 3 gts in the bin, plus a couple of bluefin and a queenie on light spin stuff at kurukuru island. Again, lotsa fun, and just drop-dead gorgeous scenery.
Fishing tackle testing is one of hte things I am quite keen on this trip. I have taken a pile of diff toys to play with, all have worked, but with varying degrees of sucess I feel.
Firstly though, the next person that  tells me they reckon braid is as good for constant repeted casting as Fireline needs their flamin head read. After casting for 3 days,,,, and up here that means constant work, not the odd flick here and there... I had three..., no, sorry, four, humungous wind=knots in the braid, so I said sod it, and spooled up one of the reels (I have 2 new quantum boca80 reels here this time) with 30lb fireline. All day casting not a hitch, not a problem. As far as I am concerned, if you are planning on serious casting all day... use fireline. Save yourself some heartache and blood-pressure!
Next, the stickbaits.
OK, I have been giving these a fair crack, and shall continue to do so. I have certainly taken fish on all of the different ones so far now, so they DO do the job.
However, I have to say, they are nowhere near as visually sstimulating as the poppers. Half the time you cannot really even see where the damn things are, unlike poppers, whic by their nature announce their presence as loudly as you can imagine, so your attention is always focussed right THERE, where the lure is. To my mind, this makes it way way more appealing fishing. For a comparisson...hmmmm.... compare nymphing for trout in a stream to fishing a deep sinker line in a river mouth at night. Both catch fish, both are enjoyable, but the buzz you get from placing and watching the lure being taken is juswt so much higher then waiting for an anonymous strike.
Well, Joe and i are heading out for anotehr arvos jaunt now, see if we cant find some more popper/stickbait action before dinnertime... cheers all,
Stu.
Oh, PS, ChrisW, those toys.... getting better all the time, bloody good!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Three lures! Three bluddy lures! I lost 3 of the damn things today! Man, the reef takes no prisoners... mind you big bloomin' GT's didn;t help.
The R2C doggies took a pounding, lost 2 of them, the one I miss is the beaut golden one, damn, wish I had more!
  That goldie is gonne! The silver blue is chewed up too now.
Went thru Noro, around the the lighthouse on kolombangara, and first cast into baitfish, and blammo, a nice red bass nailed a R2C wideglide. Very pleasing, especially as the whole thing, cast, hook-up and landing was all on video!

Picked up some nice fish, spanish mack and a big highfin coraltrout trolling halco sorcerers along the edge of the blackett straits until we got to Double Island, found more baitschools over the bommie and the reef passes, and it was all on again.

Highfin Coral trout, pretty much in the same place as I got mine today. Better model though!
Came home with 4 GTs all on stickbaits, and lost another three (did I say dammit yet? Well, Dammit!)
Well, enough for now, time to hit the hay!
Page  123 4>