Solomons diary with full pictures AND video!

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:39pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice mate, you know I was told to apply for a job there before I became a rasberry ripple money was good as was the time off to go fishing, with the cold here i feel it could well be a future plan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 9:50pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Im going off you CaptLOL
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:00pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good day today! Been a couple of long trips the last coupl of days, so decided today to just play with some light tackle spin stuff around bikiki island... about a km from the resort.
Tied on a small pencil popper, started working along the sandy drop-offs, had a few hits from cudas and longtoms, so flicked out behind me towards some bommies in deeper water, and whammo! BIG red bass (6kg or so), mate, made the ol' spagetti rod bend! :-) Kept working the bommies, bagged another one of 3kg or so, had hits from more, plus follows up from coral trouts and other bits... it was a blast. All in still calm weather, in just the most stunning scenery you can imagine. Damn this place is beautiful.

after three hours or so, wandered back to the resort, and picked up Joe to head into Munda Airport to pick up Lisa, Joes wife, home from a rep. trip o'seas.

Of course we allowed an extra hour or so to stray up the  pukpuku mangroves area...and picked up 4 nice mangrove jacks, we only kept the one or Lisa's dinner treat tonight, chinese style baked Mangrove Jack, apparently delish if you like fish.

Another great day in paradise!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:44am
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Two words Capt P**S O*F god you go off people fast .Was just talking with Tim about Mantis Shrimp ,How about you try and get one to show on here how they do it up there ,I found it fascinating and a nice feed 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:29am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

come on whiti your too kind **** right off capt **** **** **** **** Hug
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:02am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Living the dream mate

P.s More pics!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 7:57pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think he is living every mans dream.  Thumbs Up
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Greywulff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 8:06pm
Greywulff View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by daveo daveo wrote:

]Living the dream mate

P.s More pics!

Like he said LOLLOL
Your not walking on water while I'm fishing here.......
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:15pm
Titanium
Titanium

The pics are old ones from previous trips.... the current batch will have to wait 2 weeks till I get home!
Jenno got 12 mantis shrimps the day before I got here, but she is back this weekend, so will try to get vid ans u/w vid of the process, it is indeed interesting!

I must admi it though, I came here thinking that these stickbaits may work, but surely not as well as poppers. Well OK people, I may have been wrong. I think they are definitely as good as poppers, if different.
I only have R2C Doggies and Wideglides left now, and have found them to be deadly. Landed 4 GTs and a red bass, dropped a couple others and had many more hits on them today, which is excellent for up here. Even better, some of the hits have been spectacular whitewater shots, hopefully all on video. Can't wait to get home and check the footage out, I hope Taska has managed to get them on film!
I have found the doggies have a different action and need a different technique from other stickbaits, working best with just short jabs that move the lure maybe a metre at most, not the big long sweeps other types seem to need. Means the lure stays in the strike zone for a longer time too, which helps.
Wideglides have a slightly longer sweep, but not the huge rod action you see on vidcaps on the net.

I think that if casting blind, I still prefer the poppers, they are more visual and give yo something to watch, which doesn't work on sbaits, however, if casting around baitpods, then I think the sbaits may now be my preferred lure!
I suspect the action is fine, but mainly that if you belt a couple of poppers thru and area, it may alarm fish as much as entice them, while sbaits, being much less ....raucous... on the surface, tend to not unsettle and upset the fish, so we get repeated and multiple hitss from each baitpod, instead of , as with poppers, one hit only generally.
Anyhow, dinner is ready now, so gotta go! :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2011 at 9:32pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Onya Stu, seems you are having a ball.
But remember, Kesoko's watchingWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Martini Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 10:47am
Martini Max View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Aircon at 26deg, Huge parties at #54, Texan alarms...what's to be missed? Splitter.

"I do nothing..I do it well.. I then move on to doing more of nothing"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 8:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

The parties at 54 I can live with, it is the incessant complaints from the neighbours about the wheelies across their lawns that bugs me :-)
Lazy day today, as we are going to the fad at 6.00 am (ish) tomorrow, so just returned to the patches of reef behind bikiki. Another red bass and a golden trev, lotsa fun, worked our way over to the munda bar, and it was totally glassy. Saw baitfish, dropped a Doggie in and sure enough, another little gt, sweet.

Looked over the side into the super-clear water, and 10m down, a huge school of mid-nite snapper with red bass mixed in among them, so out with the u/w camera ovr the side of the boat, and watched these very cool fish. Imagine a school of maomao, but 10 times bigger. Saw a real big Spanish mackerel swimming thru them as well, just so damn cool it is hard to descride. Moved off to biff a lure at more bait 100m off, and a big baracuda smacked the lure, did a huge cartwheel outa the water before spitting the hook.... damnn, I love fishing in the tropics! :-)
Cruised on back home to recharge cam batts and try to clear out some of the unwanted clips off the 8gb SD chips the vid cam uses, to my horror I am on my 3rd and last one already, and am only just a week into the darn trip! Eek! Still, biting the bullet and scrubbing a lot of useless footage has freed up a ton of space, so all is good again.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 9:02pm
Titanium
Titanium

What crap luck. Get up before 6a.m., cruise out to the fad, and roger me rigid, the bloody purse seiner is working it! Toyota! Well, not much to do about that, that fad is stuffed for a week now til the mahimahi and wahoo return, so point the nose at fad2, and.... bugger me, ANOTHER darn seiner is out there!
 Now that is just rude!
Oh well, went for a long tiki tour, wound up in the fergusson passage, bagged a good bluefin trev on the r2c doggie, then got it nailer by a 6ft shark, but managed to retrieve the lure luckily, and then after bagging a few nice skipjack, we tootled out to 350m deep, bottom bouncing and filled the ice box in 40mins (with just one rod, as the 2nd rod lost the tip ceramic somehow), every drop (only 6) got double headers, a couple triples, not bad for 3 hook ledger rigs really. Assorted Perch, a small grouper or bar cod,(looks like a bass) goldline jobfish, rusty jobfish and longtail/flame snappers (ettilis coruscans).

rusty jobfish.
Oh, one of the mantis shrimps off the whar, mentioned above a few days ago.
But...... very long day in a small boat, 9 hours all told in the sun, man, I am cooked!
Still, should be  easier tomorrow, Dave Cook and I are heading to the Pundakona River to have a play tomorrow with mangrove jacks and spot-tail bass with any luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Yesterday checked out the local rivers with Dave Cook, cruising up the rainforest streams, caught a pile of mangrove jacks and sleepy and estuary cods, plus of course the ever voracious seki=seki!
Dave Cook and a nice little mangrove jack

when we got back, Jenno set about catching more mantis shrimps, got some good video of it, so Steve you can see exactly how it is done! :-)
Great day.
  Today was meant to be a no-fishing day as taska was booked to take a yank on a ww2 trip, but that got cancelled at the last minute, so this arvo took a pile of schoolbooks, some balls, and school supplies over to bobae village. While over there, naturally went to double island and hotspot, landed 3 giant trevs, lost 2, had one lure monstered and pulled to pieces in the process, all good!

Bobae village

I gave Bobae all up about 100 a4 size lined exercise books, 100 next size up, 30 or so quad books, several folders and refils etc for them, several packets of pens, pencils, colouring pencils, and some balls.
I also gave them a couple of collapsable 225l watertanks they had for sale on the 1-day site a while back.
They have 80 students in the small primary school there. I talked to the teacher, he says they would love tennis balls, soft ball sets, uniforms for the soccer 7s teams they have (2 of them), so I may just have a hunt around, see what I can find for them.
The water tanks will mean the kids will have water to drink and wash at the school. Ideally they would love a few more as it is certain that the villagers will all help themselves to this water as well. It is interesting isn't it, how much we here in the developed world take things like running water for granted. Up there, it don't happen like that!
A similar amount of stuff has gone to the school at Noro town, where supplies are even more stretched.... they need 11 new rooms for pete's sake, not just books! Another 50 assorted books, colouring pens etc went to anotehr smaller school near bobae, and I gave a couple more water tanks to Taskas village for them to use, along with 15 full soccer uniforms that I had picked up cheap in hamilton last year for their soccer team.
The Bobae carvers did a simple but very nice big bowl for the Hinuera-TePoi lions club (I'm a member) as thanks, as I told them everything had come from them....they did chip in a couple of hundred towards getting a lot of this stuff, and very nice, somewhat interesting letters of thanks, as english really is these peoples third language., but it truly is the thought that counts, not the grammar.
I am quite keen on organising more stuff to go up there in the containers, they are begging for reading books for young folks up to say 12yrs old, so if any of you see a pile of these being biffed out, please grab them and we will see if they can go to a good home, not just into the recycling can.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 11:54pm
skidder View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Luv the reports...keep them comingClap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 12:52am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep...well cool.....keep it goingThumbs Up
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 4:21am
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Capt have seen it done while I was up there thought others might like to see the simplicity of it (bait down hole ,stick in sand and walk away .sounds like an advert )
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:25am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds like your right at home over there stu !bumma bout the seimers tho they may be doin you a favour and clearing out all the skippys from the fads  so your left to get back to the bad boys !thanks for the updates  very enjoyable read , can almost feel the warmth whilst back down heree in kiwiland we don the swandris and beanies and try and dodge the razor gang !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:00am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Great reports Capt. looking forward to more pics & possibly
a few vid links.

How long are you there for, seems like it has been ages to we
mere mortals.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 9:51pm
Titanium
Titanium

Only a week and a bit to go dammit!
Did the bottom fishing thing today, me and Lisa (joes wife), filled a 120l IceKube ice box with fish. hmmmm. spacies count, ummm.... goldline jobfish, oblique banded snapper, goldflag jobfish, longnose emperors, longtail snapper, a nice little Ummm groper (looked like a brown trout colour and spots), ruby snapper, batubatu fusilier, yellowfin seaperch,.... ummmm I think that is about it. BIG goldies though, about 4-5kg or so, very nice fish. Imagine a snapper crossed with a kahawai body shape.
Still, coming out of 250-300m, meant a LOT of winding! :-) Je suis tres fatique! All caught on the bait from 2 skippies.

...a good day all in all....

Then, to cap it off, after cleaning all the fish etc, came back to the bar for dinner and went out and got a couple of makkas off the jetty for the stoopid cat, Mumu.
I'll do pics whn I get back in a week or so, honest!
Page  <1234>