Who's been tying?

Page  <1 979899100101 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 6:56pm
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Liking the look of that it definitely wouldve Hooked me haha..

Just wondering how you have ensured it would swim hook up? Without the use of dumbell eyes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fly_addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 11:29pm
fly_addict View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice FishMan, I like the feathers across the top.

Here is my version out of wig hair in a size 2 hook, one of them has a dumbbell and the other has resin on the underside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:29am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, mine has dumbbell eyes directly underneath the fake eyes. I set the dumbbell eyes back a bit so that they help the feather to hold its flat shape.

I also added a twist of copper wire up the shank and used large sized dumbbells. This is a fly that needs to sit firmly on the bottom I figure.

I like your versions there fly addict Finding feathers that keep a nice flat shape can be the hard part. Going to give mine the 'baby snapper test' later on today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 2:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Upgrade on the flounder fly. Continuing to play with the concept. I like the fly a lot- it's an easy way to tie a very useful fly.

I've included a pic of the underside to show the structure.

I tried it out on baby snapper and they were all over it. Caught one on first cast. Unfortunately catching baby snapper on anything doesn't prove much

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:33am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Doing a lot of tying at the moment- local stuff and also a stock up on tropical stuff for some hoped for trips.

Fly below is my standard flats fly. Some would say it is a bit bright for tropical flats. I tie tan and copper versions as well, but I don't really think it makes all that much difference.

The hook is a size 4 Gamakatsu SL11-3H . This is a very strong hook for its size and is fairly the go-to hook for Aitutaki bonefish these days. The only trouble with them is that baby snapper absolutely impale themselves on them with the hook being hard to remove. In any NZ snapper zone I would use a larger SL12s. The SL12s are easy to remove from undersized snapper. I will probably be crunching the barbs on the SL11-3H when I finally get back to the tropics.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:43am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Permit crabs. We're being told that they have to be heavy as, the deal is to get them out and down fast. May well suit some of the fast cruising kingis here as well.

The Alphlexo's have 2 sets of dumbbells inside, the rest have either brass or tungsten dumbbells.

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 10:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Wow! Great looking crabs Nick I find crabs to be very time consuming and very difficult!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:01am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The VGDC's are (Voltzies Goldie Destroyer Crab aka Merkin but different - you'll know it from the AU SWF forum) fiddly as. Alphelxos are more like building a model plane than 'tying'. Furry Foam crabs are fiddly in the leg positioning department.

Post op I had 2 weeks off work and set about filling gaps in the fly boxes. I had visions of hundreds of flies rolling off the vise... turns out I was spectacularly unproductive in comparison to my vision! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:34am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, I'm in similar restocking mode. Didn't realise I was lacking in so many flies. It's a huge job. Slowly getting there. I have to keep telling myself to stop tying crazy new flies and instead tie things that I know will work!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:44am
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Look like the real deal for Gurnard

Check this old video of mine out - about 3.30 in showing contents of Gurnard guts

The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 11:45am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice ties Nick.

That VGDC looks great.

Don't be worried to try different body colours too - two tone mottled, green and light yellow are brilliant.

Just out of curiosity, have you fished the Alphlexo's before? Heard they go OK but also heard a lot of refusals.........

Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 12:24pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't tried them out Kev; since taking the photos I've blotched the legs and bodies with brown spots, as the yellow looks a bit too garish. And with nothing approaching a permit's (snub nosed dart) fussiness locally I can only go by what the Aussies boys are saying. Seems that tan body and yellow legs is the most popular flavour. 

Graeme, I'll go take a nosey. What's in fish guts is always interesting. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:09pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How good would this pelt and tail be for tropical shrimp type flies, Crazy Charlies etc. !!
Possum fur makes great trout nymphs - it captures air bubbles and is beautifully translucent due to the natural oils etc - and the black tail fur makes great night fly wings sparsely overlaying a bit of lumo wrap.

My Brisbane mate's regular backyard visitor below. Maybe when I visit there will be an unfortunate accident ?? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 2:12pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Highly protected over there... 'accident' would need to stand up to a forensic examination LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2019 at 11:21am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

A very useful fly tied on a 1/0 Gamakatsu. Hare's fur courtesy of Tom Lusk, eyes thanks to Mike Somerville It's great to have friends in fly tying

Fly is good for shallow water weed beds and harbour flats. Anywhere you might encounter a kingfish, snapper or kahawai.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 9:00am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just a few fly variations based on successfull recent flies I have tied over this summer. Also having a play with double bead chain eyes for more buoyant flies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 11:17am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Some good looking snapper food there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 5:32pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heck yeah
the top one looks good for Trevs to.
Cool
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:18pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Crab

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spearo2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:01am
Spearo2b View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So I been trying my luck at tying some crab patterns using the gangster crab pattern as a bit of a base variation. Any ideas or thoughts on this little bugger would be greatly appreciated

Page  <1 979899100101 123>