Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1 979899100101 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 6:28pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good report our beloved moderator - good to get out of the garden and the aquariums!
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 8:26pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Finally managed to snag my first fish for spring on fly today.  I braved the horrid weather and went out from Leigh.  Found a gap in the rain but still had to contend with the swell.  Man did I burley over the side!  Not done that in a long time. Confused Fair weather fisherman I am. Wink

Anyhow, at least there were some intermittent kahawai schools well off the reef. I managed to get 2 from 2 casts but lost one beside the boat.  I didn't last long after that as I was still feeling too green.

The schools were a bit strange as they were attended mainly by a large number of red-billed gulls and only the odd tern.  No gannets and no shearwaters or diving petrels either. 

The fish were also behaving more or less like when they are krilling.  Feeding on the surface in a very tight boil up in one spot for a while causing a large "rippled" area. Then they would sound and pop up miles away.  

I have no idea what they were feeding on but there were very tight schools of some sort of bait on the sounder plus the larger marks for the kahawai.

Any ideas?  There was a lot of salps around as well. All I can think of is krill but I have not seen the kahawai behave like this around Leigh before. Thankfully they ate my small anchovy fly without hesitation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:13am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Possibly pelagic juvenile crabs. They're about the size of a small pea and generally a dusky dark colour. They can buzz around quite fast in the water. I have seen an effective fly imitation created out of a small blob of tinted five minute araldite on a size six hook. Worked a treat!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2017 at 7:38pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting, I will have a closer look next time I see that. Was a bit rough to get a decent view into the water.  Post us a pic of the araldite blob. Sounds interesting. Do you shape it to look like anything?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 6:03am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Not my design. Never used it. Was told it worked well. Pic I saw was just an araldite blob with a smoky dark colour through it. Not even sure how they tinted the araldite. No eyes or swimming legs, but I'm sure these could be added easily. Sort of shows that fish see the general form of their prey only, not the real detail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 10:53am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The older version (30 years plus) of 2 pot araldite had 1 part clear and the other part was almost black - can't remember which was the resin and which was the hardener now. When mixed it was a burnt caramel colour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 11:51am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just using a tube of Araldite on the weekend, and the current stuff dries an amber brown. Seems to be a bit darker each time I use it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:03pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We got amongst some big kahawai last week at Flat Rock. They were spewing out little fish like whitebait ...
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 5:57pm
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think you will find that with most epoxy's, that the hardener goes yellow / brown after some time.   I just chucked out some rod epoxy for the same reason.  Leave it sitting on the shelf for some time and it will discolor.  Will usually still work fine but have a discoloration to it.

Also yellowing occurs to most epoxies if they don't receive any UV.   Selley's do do one called Ultra Clear that is meant to stay clear.  I used some to repair a car headlight once.  It stayed relatively clear for a year or so,  then started yellowing. 

Should be easy enough to tint up any epoxy to suit.  Id probably stir in a powder of something with a similar colour? Should give it somewhat of a matte look, which is what I'm guessing the juvenile crab look a bit like? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2017 at 8:41pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here are some screen grabs from the video I took on the day. Not great quality but you can see the action.  Seriously, it makes the sea look way too flat Dead

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:43am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah, that action is too vigorous for kahawai on larval crabs. When they're feeding on crabs they come up and down a lot but the feeding is more like a fast paced 'krilling'.

In that pic it looks like they're smashing some pretty active baitfish Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 6:57pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The middle pic is actually the kahawai feeding, just a rippled area on the water with their mouths agape swimming slowly just below the surface.  It lasted about 2 mins then they would disappear and pop up 100m or more away a few mins later.

The last pic is actually misleading. I suspect it is something trying to eat the kahawai. It only happened very quickly a couple of times. Probably kings harassing them. Thankfully with video frame grabs you can go an pic the exact moment it happened.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 6:58pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Raced out for a very quick fish at 1pm today. I've always been a big believer in the 'bite time' that happens on a full moon low tide in the middle of the day. That - and I felt like a cast. Could spare an hour I reckoned.

Fourth cast was a 35cm snapper. Twentieth cast was the fish below. Very happy with that Thumbs Up Had a few more casts and went home with my dinner Smile

Looks to be plenty of fish around the rocks at the moment, but the southerly forecast for the weekend is probably going to shut it down for a while. Spring fishing is like that, but at the moment I'm not complaining Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 7:48pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish mate.

Jeez, that rod looks very new - or under used being an XI3

Need a few more fish to have that broken in lookThumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

This is my old battlehorse. Got the ferrule stuck and ended up with new lower sections Embarrassed
Thanks Sage Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 9:55pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice fish!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Norseman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 5:10am
Norseman View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Clap
"Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength." St. Francis de Sales
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:47am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No snapper or squid this morning, but did catch a john dory! Maybe my third ever on fly. It seemed to like the big 6/0 Interceptor. Maybe that's the secret??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:36pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a cool catch mate.

Not exactly something you see every day on fly.

Well done.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Kev.

It was bloody delicious Smile

Page  <1 979899100101 123>