Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1 96979899100 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2017 at 2:30pm
King Tide Salt Fly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey all,

Happy new year, hopefully everyone's getting amongst it currently.

Just written a report on the state of things in Tauranga. Check the link for more.

http://kingtidesaltlfly.com/2017/01/04/2017-coming-in-hot/
http://www.kingtidesaltfly.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 9:08am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Looking good Lucas Thumbs Up Tauranga showing that it's still one of the premier kingfish on fly destinations on the planet. A great start to the season Clap

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2017 at 7:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Craig,

So much harbor and it's teeming with life currently. Would be nice if the wind eased a little but there's normally somewhere to hide.

Hope up north is treating you well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:56am
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,
A mate and I are planning on heading to Tauranga tomoz for a bit of a nosey. Will the harbour be fishable after all this rain or will it a bit pea soupish? 
cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:36am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Judging by what is happening in Edgecumbe I would say it will be very brown. We got off very lightly up here - perhaps a quarter of the rainfall they had down that way, and yet all the inshore water is still very brown. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone from Tauranga will chime in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cheeko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 2:14pm
Cheeko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Craig and that was what I was thinking. Will hopefully get some confirmation from the Tauranga brigade soon. cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:39pm
Bronze
Bronze

Managed to put together a little edit of some recent Autumn Kingfish action in Tauranga harbour. Quite possibly my favourite time of the year with light winds and fish fattening up for winter.

Click here for video link

Enjoy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 1:59pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

May be me the Link not working, keen to see that thx.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 3:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey Will,

Link working now. Was a glitch in my input.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:05pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow great scenes, sells itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeVille Incarnate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 5:13pm
DeVille Incarnate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cool vid Lucas! Onya mate!!
Approach with extreme caution - I NEVER look where my back cast is going....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:21pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow! Epic footage. Almost (almost.......) makes me want to move there from the Bay of Islands
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 11:57am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great footage and some nice tunes to back it up bro!! Lovely work.  Making me jealous as hell! Cool

Next summer maybe?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Tide Salt Fly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 10:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the good feedback. Always helps when the fish and weather behave themselves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaimaikid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 6:20am
kaimaikid View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wicked footage Lucas - gets the ole heart ticking just watching it....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 10:57am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Summer must be here- I actually went fishing.

Went out the back road to one of my big snapper spots. The sea was still a bit big though and I was forced into a quiet corner.

I had natural flies (fur with brown rubber legs) to test against my usual bright interceptor type flies.

Lost the fur fly on a rock after fishing it for twenty minutes with no hits. So tied on a pink/yellow/orange/white interceptor. Fished it for twenty minutes then nailed a nice squid. Very happy to pin that one on the single hook. Other squid turned up but they weren't so easy and I'd failed to remember my squid jigs. Damn!

Then a nice snapper flew out of the kelp at my feet and nailed the fly just beneath the rod tip. Strip struck hard and nailed that one. Held it hard and didn't let it run much as I was worried about the 16lb tippet touching any rocks. I should have really changed the tippet up to 20lb at least but was too lazy.

Checked the tippet after that fish and noted it had a few knocks and scapes but still failed to change it. "She'll be right" I said to myself.

Continued to fish on and was watching the sea build in my quiet corner as the tide rose. Figured I'd have to leave soon.

At that point an absolutely humungous snapper that was an easy 12 kg erupted out of the same patch of kelp at my feet and absolutely monstered the fly - again straight under the rod tip. I struck it with a clinical strip strike that was probably more reflex action than anything then pointed my rod out to sea and held the stripping line out in order to clear line as the big fish tore off out into the ocean.

I didn't fancy my chances, and quickly realised that this was where I was going to pay for not changing that 16lb tippet, but a fish like this in this kelp jungle was going to be a mean feat on any tackle. 

As it was I did manage to stay connected for a good ten minutes before it smashed the leader with one of its head shakes down in the kelp. I didn't mind too much. I would have released it anyway and it was nice to see the monster rather than just have a blind tackle destroying hit.

Sea was rising and I went home after that. Sun was warm and it was a great morning to still be alive.

Oh ... and yes - pure fly all the way.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:23am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice work Craig!  What a pity about the big boy?  Oh well, you win some you loose some.  We have all had a few of those "if id only" moments in our fishing career!  Im climbing the walls for the rivers around here to open up.  Only 4 weeks now!!

Must try and get up to the NI and chase of saltwater species this summer? Iv got a good mate & his wife, who has just moved to Tauranga.  Might have to pay them a visit over xmas?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 11:49am
T T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice Craig! Was up there a few weeks back digging around you know where but that wind and rain shut it all down for me, went cockle hunting instead. Good to see you're pulling a few out. Ten minutes on a big boy like that in that sort of terrain is very impressive!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2017 at 7:48pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent! Hope I get something tomorrow. Unfortunately it looks like I will be very wet  but I will let you know if I succeed!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2017 at 10:36am
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Wow so cool to even see a monster like that at close quarters, hard luck on the bust off...

Great motivation to tie up a couple snapper flies!

It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!
Page  <1 96979899100 123>