Who's been saltwater fly fishing? NZ

Page  <1 9899100101102 123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:37pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Neat. Only ever caught about 3 or 4 of them and none of them on fly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 5:05pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

First fishing in two weeks. Nice snapper on eighth cast at lunchtime. Bit of overkill on the 12WT but you've got to be prepared for monsters at this time of the year. Pure fly in bright sunshine. Who needs skutes SmileWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 10:50pm
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 5:54am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Thanks Warren. Somehow I get a big kick out of catching a nice fish on one rod / one fly off the rocks at lunchtime. Very much appeals to the minimalist in me. Only problem is that my rock spots around here are very limited. I have four small rock platforms on the Russell 'island' that have fish holding water within casting distance. But it looks like I might be progressing to a small stable fishing craft in the very near future in order to access this shallow reefy water better. It could be a case of goodbye rocks Shocked Watch this space Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piscisfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:56am
piscisfly View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Pretty nice to be able to get the fly rod out at lunchtime, and get a nice Snap too!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:01am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bit of a mooch around a nthland harbour on the w/e. Not sure if it was the super moon but pretty hard to find much to cast at. Did have a funny moment when a 50cm+ snapper swam past under my mate's (stick bait) rod tip while we were scanning deeper water.LOL   No time for a shot at him. Nice to connect with my fav species tho.

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:56am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Nice trev Nick Thumbs Up Wish I could connect with them more often but I find them tricky beasts that are hard to work out. I've never found a 'system' for hooking shallow water trevs on fly on a regular basis (except for berleying into a beach hole at dusk). Would like to work them out better.

Exploring any harbour up here at this time of the year is going to be hard work. The snapper and kings are loving these easterlies and are all out spawning. I'm expecting the kings to come roaring in any day now and the snapper should have their spawning season all wrapped up by xmas. A great start to summer! 

You must have got out early too - you look cold Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:04am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Parka was just spray protection Craig; not much cover on a flats boat doing a decent clip. I guess the lustre of trevors is that they are just damned frustrating to target. 

I'll head north sometime after Xmas for another looksie.
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 9:44am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yup, even when you're not on a flats boat zooming along those big sandy harbours can be very wind exposed. Feels like fishing an atoll lagoon sometimes (except the wind is usually freezing). Would be nice to sight those trevs on the flats and cast a fly at them Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 2:51pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I tied up this imitation crease fly out of a chunk of foam I found on the shed floor. Pretty ugly, but I liked the look of it. Managed to take it for a swim today.

I was very pleased how it cast. No more air resistance than a bulky fly. Popping action was great - although it tends to lay on its side (not sure this matters).

Anyway there were kahawai working, a few snapper underneath and four or five medium sized hammerheads chasing the kahawai around. I could not find any kingfish, but I did get a strike on the popper out of a hammerhead! I hadn't even seen the shark before I got the hit. It exploded out of nowhere all over the fly. Unfortunately nothing connected. It spun around for another go but peeled away at the last moment.

Don't think I would have got anywhere near close enough to it without the Zego. They're very shy. Not sure a popper fly is the right fly to choose either. I can't see a hammerhead raising it's entire head out of the water in order to crunch the fly. Might try a slow sinking fly next. There looks to be plenty out there.

PS the eyes quickly fell off the fly. Going to draw some eyes on. Can't seem to get eyes to stick to this closed cell foam.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

I tied up this imitation crease fly out of a chunk of foam I found on the shed floor. Pretty ugly, but I liked the look of it. Managed to take it for a swim today.

Sure this isn't a trim off an old pair of Crocs? LOL
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 9:31pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

No such thing as an old pair of Crocs Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 8:01am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent to see the concept, I have a similar piece of foam lying on the bench waiting to be tied up. Packing from some electronics I bought a while ago, always nice when the put decent foam with it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 10:29am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

PS the eyes quickly fell off the fly. Going to draw some eyes on. Can't seem to get eyes to stick to this closed cell foam.

Craig, could you not expoxy/UV resin eyes on? And maybe a bit of stick on flash material (i use some mirror like stuff cut from a Bridgestone tyres sticker) or kids' glitter? I saw a cool pattern in a magazine done like that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 11:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yeah TK, my Plastic Selleys glue probably isn't up to the job, but I also have recollections of the eyes ripping off that foam when I used Araldite. I think it is a condition of the foam.

I also tend to believe that colour flash and shine are not that important in a popping fly. I personally think it is all about the action and the silhouette.

Having said that though I'm still going to go and draw some eyes onto that popper Smile 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 11:43am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yeah, I hear what you say re silhouette and splash. Just like top water - there's a lot of fixation on colour and incredibly life-like paintjobs on some stick baits and poppers, but what a kingie sees is probably just a dark silhouette against the bright sky.

You could try using Twink or similar pen correction/whitener if you want a white eye iris. I used to do that with my smelt patterns for trout (over the thread build up at the head).  Seems quite waterproof. I then drew a black pupil in with permanent marker.

I also used an old tiny tin of yellow Humbrol modelling paint to create yellow irises, from when I used to make model planes and tanks etc as a kid. That worked well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 12:38pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Not a bad idea actually. There is so much dicking about trying to get eyes stuck to flies that it might be a whole easier just to go back to old-school methods. Thanks Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:36am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

The popper fly was a great hit with a school of rat kings. Worked really well on a slow retrieve and stationary which is always helpful. But had about five hook-ups in a row that all fell off! Obviously the extended tail is stopping a proper hook-up. Ah well - back to the drawing board!

We've got a few bunches of very fussy kahawai feeding on anchovy/pilchard whitebait. Anorexic clouser seems to be the only thing that works.

A few smallish snapper underneath, but I think they're waiting for most of the holidaymakers to depart this weekend Smile

Easterlies are back, bad weather coming. Looks like Auckland is having the best summer of all.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:21pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Try this shape.  I use a very thin tail and "post" it, a bit like the wing of a dry fly, so it sits up.  It has a nice plop to it as well and sits low in the water. Seems to hook up fairly well fished with an intermediate line.

I have used various types of foam from left over packaging materials but this higher density stuff seems to work the best. Wish I knew where to get a A4 size sheet of the stuff.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:17pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep Thumbs Up it looks like the full bend of the hook always has to be exposed for a decent hook-up, and nothing solid sticking out the back. I've used fly-poppers with all the foam up front for a long time, and done ok on them, but they sure do have a lot of wind resistance on the cast. The long shape in my failed popper cast beautifully, but its back being 'reprocessed' on the fly tying bench now Disapprove 
Page  <1 9899100101102 123>