Inflatable vs. Aluminium(tinnie) vs. Fibreglass

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VJSanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inflatable vs. Aluminium(tinnie) vs. Fibreglass
    Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:37pm
VJSanders View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all.

Want to get a smallish boat to go fishing in around my bach. I'm not wanting something that can go deep sea fishing, just something that get out to infront of my bach and be sturdy enough for a couple  of passengers to go for a fish and be to safe to come back when the weather changes.

The two options are either an inflatable or aluminuim or fibreglass, either one would be most probably be a 12-14foot. Which one is safer? Which one is better for fishing? Pretty much any info would be apprecitated.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 9:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Depends how much you're prepared to pay i guess. What is your budget?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 10:19pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.1-day.co.nz/products/AA7KFN0IB
Put an 8hp on this and it will cruise out nicely for you.. with nice stability for fishing....

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VJSanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:57am
VJSanders View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i guess around $5000-$6000 max Smudge

cheers fisher, will give it a look
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:06am
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Inflatables need housing when not in use as the sun is ruthless over a long period of time. You will also have to be very careful with sharp objects. You cant beat the stability of an inflatible.
If so bye one with a ridgid bottom for duribility on the sand.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:16am
JB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hi,

I fished out of one of these my friend has and found it to be stable, and very fishable platform. Had a 8hp on the back and although didn't get up on the plan it went fast enough to get along nicely. If you find a second hand one then I recon it might be what your after.
regards JB
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Dinghies-rowboats/Aluminium/auction-332254701.htm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:26am
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A 3.6m mac with a 15hp would give you durability and also alot more stable than a tinny.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote worksux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:33am
worksux View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep agree with PP, A little mac 3.6. Safe and sturdy and a 15hp is fine for one or two people.
I've had mine for 10yrs and there is no way I would swap it for a tinny of the same size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 12:43pm
SpearoMike View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my opinion is alloy pontoon. Can't go wrong with safety, unsinkable and you can drive in on the rocks without putting a hole in it or leave it in the sun and it won't break down. I have a 14foot one and find it very good for the treatment i give it.

here fishy fishy.......... ><(((((º> ............><(((((º>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:49pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SperoMike... I agree...
I think his budget will not allow him to do that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:17pm
Platinum
Platinum

true, they do tend to sell for more. I was lucky that i had a 4.2 pontoon, 30hp yammy, trailer, fisher finder etc etc for just over 5k incl steering too (have not set up yet)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpearoMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

and further to that, i did have a father in law who's an engineer specializing in alloy welding! Luck bugger really!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VJSanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:38pm
VJSanders View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

cheers thanks all Smile

just looking on trademe for some Mac's, there are some that are looking quite good and a good price
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:45pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had a 2.7m inflatable for a couple of years.
On the plus side - its extremely stable (being very low on the water and with big air filled pontoons) - its cheap ($1500 for a new Aakron), $2500 for a 8hp motor, no trailer needed for this size).
On the minus side - it jumps around a lot in any chop (being short and light) - space inside is very limited (because of the huge space taken by the pontoons), can carry two people ok but I wouldnt fish with 2 as its so cramped; I think at least a 3.2m would be ok for two fishing. - the possibility of piercing the pontoon is a worry (eg fish spines, knife, shells, rocks, jetties).
I am now thinking seriously of getting a bigger boat, about 4m, to be able to fish with 2 people nicely. Two types I think appear good - Polyethylene, Smartwave appear to have the edge over Mac; a Smartwave 3500 might do the trick, would fish 2 well and handle bigger seas, and is very tough I believe. - alloy pontoon boat, I suggest you look at Frewza (for lower priced value).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote VJSanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:44pm
VJSanders View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

I have had a 2.7m inflatable for a couple of years.
On the plus side - its extremely stable (being very low on the water and with big air filled pontoons) - its cheap ($1500 for a new Aakron), $2500 for a 8hp motor, no trailer needed for this size).
On the minus side - it jumps around a lot in any chop (being short and light) - space inside is very limited (because of the huge space taken by the pontoons), can carry two people ok but I wouldnt fish with 2 as its so cramped; I think at least a 3.2m would be ok for two fishing. - the possibility of piercing the pontoon is a worry (eg fish spines, knife, shells, rocks, jetties).
I am now thinking seriously of getting a bigger boat, about 4m, to be able to fish with 2 people nicely. Two types I think appear good - Polyethylene, Smartwave appear to have the edge over Mac; a Smartwave 3500 might do the trick, would fish 2 well and handle bigger seas, and is very tough I believe. - alloy pontoon boat, I suggest you look at Frewza (for lower priced value).

thanks for that! just had a look, not much there in the price range but something could definitely pop up later on Trademe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:55pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The thing I dislike about mac boats is lack of freeboard... They sit very low in the water and are quiet wet. Just an opinion so no offence intended. Also rollered trailers are a no no from what i heard... Seems over time the polyethaline takes on the shape of the rollers. Things may have changed now. They are super stable also, but like all boats are better kept in a garage.