peeling fingers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: peeling fingers
    Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 10:13am
gull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

help. my fingers are peeling. Deep! i am not new to fishing but new to the site. some stuff came up here when googling "peeling fingers" but i cant find it now. So.. I fish Tauranga harbour. I use squid for bait. have been having great success, catching my limit often. The price... 2 layers of skin per trip. bugger. First they itch, swelling slightly, then they harden, then the skin lets go of the layer beneath appearing like white dry blisters, then off it comes. yuck  can you all help me narrow down some things?
-Used to blame the squid, then read about people having the same trouble using soft bait. So is it a reaction to salt water, or the snapper, or the bait?
-Any hints on heeling the skin. A mate told me to "harden up". well that is one of the symtoms.
-any hints on creating a barrier, that wont affect the fishing. sweaty rubber gloves dont appeal much.
-if its an allergy to fish, could i become sensitive to eating it? did get some throat thing going on a couple of times years ago when eating gurnard. mmm tasty fish though. And have had it since without reaction.
I fish weekly. My skin growth cant keep up. any hints much appreciated, including how to target trevally?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 2:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Gidday Gull, I would blame the squid first. As for targetting Trevs start a new thread for that otherwise it will all get too complicated Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hi gull, I know another f.net forum member who suffers a similar affliction.
Could even be the same.
I'll check it out but I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the squid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:34pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So, there you go, try anotehr bait for a while, see how you go. Perhaps go to a doc, see if you have an allergy to fish? Or likely the bugs in the fish slime...
There are dermal creams like E45 and stuff, whether they will be much help, I don't know.
There is some product, used to see it years ago, squirt it on your hands and it stops fish etc getting thru to the skin, is that still around?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:53pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate Give up using squid as it has the same reaction to me.  it is the amonia (sp) I think.  switch to softbait.  Try using pillies for straylining instead of the squid - interesting fresh squid does not have the same affect.  DIY
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:54pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get the missus to bait your hooks, clean the fish etc. Problem solved!! Well at least the sore hand problem anyway Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 3:59pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by DIY! DIY! wrote:

Mate Give up using squid as it has the same reaction to me.  it is the amonia (sp) I think.  switch to softbait.  Try using pillies for straylining instead of the squid - interesting fresh squid does not have the same affect.  DIY

thx Amanda.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blindspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 5:56pm
Blindspot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I get the same thing... and rarely use squid for bait.  My feet do the same thing but first I get a patchy burning rash.  I think its more likely to be a reaction to saltwater... and possibly artificial fabric.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Monsterbishi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 3:13pm
Monsterbishi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Gloves. Problem solved.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 7:50pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The saltwater will accellerate the problem... and dry it out further.  Stay hydrated, have a container of fresh water to wash your hands, avoid guts as this has hydrochloric (sp) acid etc... if you use barrier creams you run the risk of contaminating the bait.. 

Blindspot it woudl be interesting to see if you dried your feet after they got wet would it stop it... just a thought
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 8:06pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Gull, yes, squid certainly causes peeling skin for some of us. For me everything is okay until 2 weeks after I have used squid as bait. A couple of mates also suffer the same thing.There is never any irritation accompanying the peeling.

I tried barrier hand creams but they didn't do much. I still use quid every now and then. Peeling seems to be less severe if you rinse and dry your hands after handling, baiting up etc.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Paul P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 3:08am
Paul P View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

From 20yrs of fishing I have become senisitised to bait on my hands (same symptoms) , I spoke to a doctor who said it is contact dermetitus and to use a barrier cream. You and I know thats just not practicle. I find squid is by far the worst bait for this, followed by tuna etc (oily fish)
As previously suggested I wash my hands immediately after handling bait or any fish, salt water is fine. 
You need to build a habit of rinsing off juices and bait after each hook is baited or fish cleaned.
Now days I rarely have a problem.

I believe it was bought about by years of baiting lines and wiping hands on a rag rather than actually rinsing them off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote davetherave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 3:48pm
davetherave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I get a similar thing, patches of excema on my hands which get super itchy and burn when I use squid.

Another option would be to buy a box of latex/non latex gloves and take it with you. I've tried that and been mildly successful at stopping the squid from touching my hands (Hooks tend to put holes in them haha)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote timi-542 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 9:16am
timi-542 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey I have the same problem have been fishing for years and tryd narrowing it down to different thing but squid is the worst! I find softbaiting it doesn't happen unless im gutting fish snapper not so much but kawi everytime tried gloves but they get in the way with baiting. For me I don't notice it till the next day my hands swell for a week ichy then peal two weeks later but I fish every week so yip this sux I still wash my hand afta every bait or guts but still happens,
I am alergic to crayfish and prawns but can eat all fish and shellfish I thought it mite b something to do with that but reading some of these comments sound like a few ppl have the same problem any info would b appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 1:36pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thought it was just me when handling squid,have moved on to the imported red box squid and problem gone,is it the ink?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 9:07pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by davetherave davetherave wrote:

I get a similar thing, patches of excema on my hands which get super itchy and burn when I use squid.

Another option would be to buy a box of latex/non latex gloves and take it with you. I've tried that and been mildly successful at stopping the squid from touching my hands (Hooks tend to put holes in them haha)
This one....If the tips of your fingers are ok....you could get those jigging gloves which have the tips missing......that would protect your hands a bit ...yet allow your fingers tips freedom for tying knots....dont use squid for baitWink.........what fish are you targeting?.........i fished for 22 years in nz.......hardly ever used squid....mainly pillies and skipjack...KY.....stay away from whats causing the problem........Drink plenty of water(dehydration is your enemy and skin is where water is taken).....Heavy drinkers and smokers quite often have awful skin because the body sucks water from the skin(biggest organ in the body) to flush the poison out of the body.....that is why you piss alot when you drink booze !......the body sucks water from the skin as well as elsewhere to flush it out..........skin needs water and skin gets dry in the winter time.......hot showers and hot water to wash hands dries the skin.....i get dermatight arse in the winter when i have hot showers.....it wrecks the skin.........take a zinc supplement/fish oil to encourage faster healing...Stay away from alcohol until your hands are better......eat plenty of vit c.......once skin has healed ....use neutrogena hand cream after washing your hands or shower.......stay away from squid and your mrs will want your hands bro hahahaha.
Those fisherman wipes are also very good and contain tea tree oil which also heals the skinWink....i used those wipes all the time on the rocks....just kept one in my pocket and wiped my hands with it each time i baited up.......then at the end of day used one fresh one before i put my hands on the steering wheel.........only thing i ever found that could combat bonito/skipjack stink...........avoid the bottom one as well..not good for anything !..LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 9:24pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just noticed....after 5 years....i hope its better !LOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent post above LBD
take a zinc supplement/fish oil to encourage faster healing
I would only add....
Zinc magnesium sulphur supplements on a LONG TERM REGULAR basis.
Natural oil soaps, made from castor and/ or  coconut , and other natural oils/ fats... no additives perfumes
Include natural live cheese , yoghurt, vinegar (pickled) preserved foods in the diet.. on long term regular basis

People who are prone to skin issues also tend to have issues wearing gloves....m8 has a 1/2 bucket of  fresh sea water next to him that rinses his hand after handling fish/ baits etc... EVERY time.. having the bucket of water is easier than reaching over the side to rinse... which makes every time .. actually every time.