Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 783784785786787 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TrexTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:07am
TrexTim View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So yeh there's been a noticeable drop in the number of posts on what people are catching this summer, compared to previous summers, so I'll put my two cents in.  

It's been a bit tough for me to get out this season and as a result I've focused on the harbour (In fact I haven't fished outside it so far) and only a handfull of times since beginning Jan.

Its been either full on snaps (all in the 40-55cm range which has been great), gurnard and the usual (trevs, KY and elephants), or a dead loss.  Best take home catch - 4 snaps and 8 gurnard.  When it's on its on, but it can also be really slow as well. I think the tides have a major impact and I'm going to be a bit more observant in the future to see if I can crack the code.

Tight lines
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote numbskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:31am
numbskull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

There are plenty around mana. Bridge has been stacked with fish for me recently. South of the island too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:14am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had good snapper fishing in the early season, november. Seems to be smaller catches recently. I've heard there are some good catches south of mana.

I've had two attempts for Albacore with no luck, water temps 20-21, up to 12km off the back of Kapiti and hunters. Not even a bite. Seems most are being caught north of Kapiti, Otaki and further north.

Had some good fishing on the south coast though...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 7:36pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work....will have to go pop my groper/bluenose cherry one of these days ;) The albacore I've caught this season have all been well north of Kapiti...round about pekapeka in 80m+.....big ones though >10kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:23pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

out West probably not so good on the snaps this year as the last two; but a couple of months left to make up for it

haven't given the harbour or south coast much attention. Fitzroy must be chocker full of carrots now its main harvester is chasing trout and hanging on to his drone with one hand and shooting videos with the other Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 10:46am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sounds like a mixed bag year so far. hoping to join the fray again soon... i wondered if someone could please point me to where I'd find a definitive set of boundaries for the puk bay reserve? We're having a small debate about exactly where the northern boundary lies and without seeing markers in front of me its difficult to picture where they lie. thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grasshoppa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:07am
Grasshoppa View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

sounds like a mixed bag year so far. hoping to join the fray again soon... i wondered if someone could please point me to where I'd find a definitive set of boundaries for the puk bay reserve? We're having a small debate about exactly where the northern boundary lies and without seeing markers in front of me its difficult to picture where they lie. thanks

Link to a PDF that you downloadSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2018 at 11:51am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

awesome thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 8:16am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

next 24 hours of weather should be interesting. I hope everyone comes through it ok. tiny swell and fairly glassy conditions on kapiti coast at the mo but it is hosing down. Media telling people to get out of the Sounds yesterday was pretty different and precautionary for NZ. Hopefully it means safer people and property. How soon after big storms do snapper get back into feeding mode? looks like there could be calm weather end of the week...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:35am
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dream Machine II Dave?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:56am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol yes on the cards but the price increase on new boats (and subsequent flow on effect in 2nd hand market) in the last 3-4 years is frightening! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 9:26pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Has anyone been catching albies in good numbers south of Kapiti since cyclone Gita? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:29pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Planning on heading out this weekend to find out if they're still around. Should be. Think someone on fb said they caught some skippies after the cyclone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 1:33pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I am (modestly) becoming the smudge of Wellington. I can catch endless Gurnard at the moment (15 or so in a few hours fishing on Wednesday) but can't find a Snapper to save myself.

Techniques that have worked well enough in the past (structure, current, loads of berley) just aren't producing for me.

As a side note, I can't seem to catch Kingfish worth a damn either. Had a pack of them come up to the boat last time we were out west, had them feeding on chunks at the back of the boat but they weren't interested in anything with a hook in it. Finally managed to hook one on a tiny cube of pilchard but it was on a Tarakihi rig and promptly got hosed LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 8:39pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Lots of sore arms and shoulders at Hunters today. Don’t think I’ve seen so much railing going on at the same time.
Note to self: stop using second rate hooks that these hoodlums can straighten.

Oh yes and a pb snap in shallow.

Great day. Will be fabulous tomorrow albeit crowded at Hunters.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Plenty of terries and BC for me yesterday on Sth Coast - mainly prospecting for good terry spots. Saw on FB someone got a couple albies yesterday. Might go again for albies sometime in the next 2 weeks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:24am
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the intel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 9:40pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out looking for tuna today. Spent 7+ hours trolling back of hunters right through to way north of kapiti. Nothing. Water temps well over 20 degrees, deep blue water but no takes. So, back to kapiti for a feed of snapper, tiks and cod. Beautiful day to be on the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:54pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the harbour for a couple of hours. Got live baits ( jack macks ) used my live bait tank for the first time, A Bucket. Tried for kingis no takers at the wreck or Oriental Bay. But was fun learning a new method to fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 10:20pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished the plimmerton comp - went out looking for tuna. Nothing. Green water is everywhere and we went very wide of kapiti. Temps are fluctuating a lot too. We hit 15 degrees right up to 18. Cold water in close funnily enough. Hopefully will clear up in the days up to tunatastic :)
Sandsharks plentiful in close :(
Page  <1 783784785786787 793>