Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 779780781782783 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2017 at 4:25pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

west
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 9:40am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

went out yesterday on the Charter... pretty much the worst day out ive had for many years. lots of small stuff. between the 5 of us we took home 3 gurnad and a kahawai.  oh well... thats fishing i suppose. the charter guy also said it was the worst day hes had out  and his go to safety spots werent producing either. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lazysnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 4:53pm
Lazysnapper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Water was 17 North of Mana. Lots of undersized fish released. One good Tarakihi for my wife's dinner! Wink
Big shoals of small bait-fish on the sounder. Where is the Kahawai?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote paul_fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 5:44pm
paul_fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I went out a few days ago around Puk bay. I saw heaps of Kahawai jumping on top. Ended up with around 30 Kahawai home. Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:24pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone tried for tuna yet? Water temps are way up there in the 18 degree range and a few have been caught off New Plymouth already. Hoping to have a go this weekend if the wind calms a bit
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Cooked Cray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:13pm
Cooked Cray View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Should be trolling tonight really. Looks to be be a decent temperature break heading west from the north end of Kapiti and a cooler one to the south of Mana..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:40am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

had up to 21.5c yesterday out wide west with a patch of deep blue clean water. was beautiful. didn't have the lures on board, too busy slaying other things anyway. tuna definitely be out there somewhere if you put the time in. no tuna birds sighted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 11:27am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surely someone is going to catch a stripey out there one of these days. If the tuna show up in numbers then something is going to be around to eat them.

On an unrelated note, standard bloody Wellington weather, flat all week while I'm flat out at work and can't skive off, then 20kn+ NW for the weekend, ffs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Y Wori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:23am
Y Wori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I heard there were lots of Kings caught in the harbour earlier in the week. Maybe still around
McLay 590 cruiser
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 5:46pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Surely someone has been catching tuna with the weather so fine and temps so high ;)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 659 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2017 at 5:21pm
659 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

A good day out on the water 15kg and 10 kg bluenose school groper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 7:57pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some nice chunky bns there Jordan - nice work! Caught in the 'rapa or down Welly ways?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 659 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2017 at 8:25pm
659 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah down here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2017 at 9:47pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im jealous! well done
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2017 at 9:19am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had an awesome couple of hours hiding from the wind on the south coast on Sunday. Tarakihi on a pretty continuous bite in around 20m of water. Fed a few families :)

Hoping to start giving the west coast a good nudge now, Saturday forecast looks very promising at this stage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 9:43am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well the forecast was miles out, didn't get properly flat until the evening, spent half the day bashing around a very confused and lumpy sea.

Pretty meager pickings on the bottom fish but we were focused on livebaiting anyway. Most of the livies got hammered by couttas which seem to be around in plague numbers at the moment. Plenty of juvenille Kingfish in the area as well, couldn't find any of their parents unfortunately.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 9:46am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

folks - anyone taken a f14 or f16 fisher outta makara before? saw a guy cm up the stream yesterday in stabi 1530 w what looked lk a 60 4 stroke on the bk and it made me wonder about the frewzas. was a full tide w reasonable flow...anyone tried an f16 or f14 outta there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 10:20am
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

folks - anyone taken a f14 or f16 fisher outta makara before? saw a guy cm up the stream yesterday in stabi 1530 w what looked lk a 60 4 stroke on the bk and it made me wonder about the frewzas. was a full tide w reasonable flow...anyone tried an f16 or f14 outta there?

I'm sure I remember FlyFisher (Andrew) saying he had launched from the stream at Makara in his F14, just had to be above half tide if I recollect. Never been brave enough to try and put my F16 in there.
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 5:07pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Snoteel. is you f16 heaps wider than the f14?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 4:14pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

thanks Snoteel. is you f16 heaps wider than the f14?

2m beam as opposed to 1.75m on the F14, I would suggest it would draw a little more water as well tho Davo.
Mostly tho the issue for me is that it seems the stream mouth changes often, sometimes being scoured out and sometimes having the shingle built up making it very shallow, of course there is also the question of timing.
Given all these variables I am reluctant to drag my boat over there for it to end in tears. Anytime I fish the Makara area I launch at Mana and motor down, it takes no time and the Honda is super economical.

if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Page  <1 779780781782783 793>