Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 776777778779780 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice carrots fellas!

any red cod whispering spazo?! 😎

looks like water will start warming up soon...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:27pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

any red cod whispering spazo?! 😎

Not sure what those look like Davo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 11:02am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

lol...im sure you tried to get a few πŸ˜„

finally some good weather on the way...hopefully the warmer water kicks in earlier this year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakman12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 4:55pm
Yakman12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, sorry new to this.

I'm wondering if I could have a bit of guidance on south coast fishing conditions.

Is it OK to head off the south coast (round Karori launching from Owhiro) in 10-15 knot northerlies?

When I check it out (I live in Lyall bay) in those conditions it always looks nice and flat from the shore, but not sure how it is when you get out a bit.

Mate has recently bought a boat (4m Frewza) and keen to get out off Wellington soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:09pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Yakman12 Yakman12 wrote:

Hey guys, sorry new to this.

I'm wondering if I could have a bit of guidance on south coast fishing conditions.

Is it OK to head off the south coast (round Karori launching from Owhiro) in 10-15 knot northerlies?

When I check it out (I live in Lyall bay) in those conditions it always looks nice and flat from the shore, but not sure how it is when you get out a bit.

Mate has recently bought a boat (4m Frewza) and keen to get out off Wellington soon.

South coast is pretty sheltered in a northerly in close...heaps of current runs thru there tho, need to time it right with the tides...gotta love a Frewza...
if your boyfriend doesn't like fishing....you have a girlfriend
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakman12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:22pm
Yakman12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah mate, gotta love the Frewza!

Ok that's good to know, sounds like we can at least get out there and check it out in 15 knots without too much risk (if we stay close to shore).

Mate is a bit nervous with the new boat
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 5:50pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ok that's good to know, sounds like we can at least get out there and check it out in 15 knots without too much risk (if we stay close to shore).

Depending what you are targeting and how far round you plan to go, I would suggest heading the other way until your mate gets used to the boat...karori is definitely not for the inexperienced...very isolated round that side and as I said the tide can really rip thru there...Fitzroy hold some good fish and Turakirae area has always produced for me...in close there is Airport reef and out a little bit is 5mile...either way, take care and always watch the weather out there...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:51pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quick fish this evening off Plimmerton, heaps of Kahawai, and yes snapper are Back,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:43pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I took similar photos tonight from out the front of the harbour entrance King Con.

I had the day off to recover from a big 🍺🍺🍺 day yesterday (Bathurst)
Fished the harbour in the avo, the headed out the entrance late avo and fished bearing head,waiting for the easterly to button off.
When I did nudge out to the trench, the easterly was still blowing, making fishing difficult with wind against tide. I didn't plan to fish out wide and didn't have the heavy gear on the boat, but had some Diamond Eyes, so went "old school".
Dropped a monster after hauling it up for around 90-100m. It didn't fight like a bluenose and just felt like a good weight. I pretty certain it was a large Ling.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 11:30am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

or a red cod lol!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 1:18pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

BLUE of course!!!!!! I’d never keep red puke fish, let alone catch them πŸ˜‰
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 3:21pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good on you fellas for getting out... it looked mint. Looks good again this arvo too....good luck for all headed out. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 1:51pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

new tub yet Dave?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 3:04pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by snoteel snoteel wrote:

Depending what you are targeting and how far round you plan to go, I would suggest heading the other way until your mate gets used to the boat...karori is definitely not for the inexperienced...very isolated round that side and as I said the tide can really rip thru there...Fitzroy hold some good fish and Turakirae area has always produced for me...in close there is Airport reef and out a little bit is 5mile...either way, take care and always watch the weather out there...

I grew up in the Wellington area.
Have not been back in twenty odd years.
Launch from Karori?
Is there a bay called Karori?
Has it got that big?
Or do you drive from Karori and launch from Owhiro Bay, Island Bay or Red Rocks et al area?
Orrrrr, have I had a senior moment and totally picked up the wrong end of the stick.
My memories of Karori. Friends, Cemetery, Glow worms and the drive through to Makara.
The sanctuary was not there then.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 8:50am
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They are referring to Karori Light, V8-Coupe, around Sinclair head.
i.e. Launch Owhiro bay and head around past Red Rocks until you see this:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 9:45am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You know you've arrived when, on a flat-calm day, you suddenly run into 6 foot steep waves going in all different directions. Like a bloody great washing machine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 12:17pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

was out on my kayak fishing one day ... out of titahi bay and wasnt paying attn to the current and next thing i was on the bridge between Mana island and the mainland. man that was a wakeup call. as Roz said a washing machine. took a while to get out of it as well. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JT Yakker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 4:49pm
JT Yakker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I snuck out to the Bridge on Sunday in the yak.  Was fine initially and there was an infestation of KY to keep me entertained before heading up to the northern end of Mana.  Completely different story on way back through with the washing machine in full force!  Nothing the old Stealth couldn't handle Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snoteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:24pm
snoteel View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

You know you've arrived when, on a flat-calm day, you suddenly run into 6 foot steep waves going in all different directions. Like a bloody great washing machine.

yeah rozboon...that was kinda my point when yakman12 said his mate was a bit nervous and had a new boat...i've owned a few boats and been on the water for many years yet my first trip to karori light gave me the shirts...it was wild, honking current and waves coming from all sides...not fun...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 9:20pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went for a fish off Plimmerton after work , good fishing for this time of year , 1 ky , 4 gurnard , a couple of spinys , 1 barry , and 1 Snapper smallish
Page  <1 776777778779780 793>