Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 774775776777778 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 9:08pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Had a gap in the weather mid morning so shot out off raumati beach shallow water stray lining. Shifted spots numerous times due to current and being a dogfish and carpet shark magnet......ended up in 3m water with tide almost at its lowest (opposite to what I prefer) ky turned up caught and released a bunch and managed one pannie snap, thought they had buggered off so that was good. Anyone else have much luck?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 4:05pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had a very pleasant few hours on the harbour on Saturday; it was raining when I arrived at the ramp and raining when I drove away but mint in between, barely a breath of wind either.

First drop was a large Red Cod, hurray, released that for good luck.........
Got into a steady stream of very solid Kahawai, I was fishing solo (stupidly?) with 3 rods and at one point had a triple hookup that ended up in the largest tangle I've ever seen.
Caught a very good condition Gurnard and 3 Tarakihi, a couple of legal-but-small ones went back as well.
Caught just the one Spiny dog... so the winter undesirables are here but entirely possible to fish around them :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JigNut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:49pm
JigNut View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Popped out yesterday before the southerly came through... managed to get Sam to launch me so I could fly solo... bagged a few kingfish up to 17-20kg
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-Of-Synit-Rods/137662896327800
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 12:07pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gave the harbour a bash on Saturday, 7 Gurnard and a Snapper. Endless Kahawai, all in really good condition, big fat things that a few of ended up in the smoker.

Apparently kingis are like a plague out west at the moment, a friend hooked 4 in about a half-hour window on Sunday.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one rozboon - any particular rig you were using to avoid the undesirables and attract the carrots? Also anywhere in particular the kings are hanging out? I fish off pram/raumati beach and am restricted somewhat with how far I can head out as only have 3500 smartwave so could be out of my range....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by @kapitifisho @kapitifisho wrote:

Nice one rozboon - any particular rig you were using to avoid the undesirables and attract the carrots? Also anywhere in particular the kings are hanging out? I fish off pram/raumati beach and am restricted somewhat with how far I can head out as only have 3500 smartwave so could be out of my range....

Check out the Grunter thread on here... 2-hook 2/0 flasher rigs with Mustad circle hooks. 4oz sinker, hard on the bottom. Fish over mud, not sand. We were using Mackerel and Bullet tuna for bait; I tried a strip of squid on a recent trip and almost instantly caught a spiny dogfish, for what that's worth. Haven't caught one since, no carpets, no hagfish and only a couple of red cod. Formula seems to be working.

Kingies... probably no secret that Hunters is the place to be. It's a long way out to sea in a 3.5m boat (roughly 13km or so from Pukerua Bay), you would want a large weather window where it was going to be flat. You would have to think that the north end of Kapiti would be holding them too, and that's less of a trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 6:04pm
Bronze
Bronze

Much appreciated Rozboon will try that strategy for the carrots undesirables namely spiny and carpets were bloody everywhere last wkd - don't think I will be heading out 13 km unfortunately until i upgrade! Has anyone pulled a king off the sand (targetted or not!) off raumati beach, pram or waik beach? I've caught a rat but haven't had a real crack with a livey etc assuming they are around when the baitfish are but probably not now and will be hanging around structure - thoughts appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2017 at 8:44am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just looking at the charts (having never fished up that way) I would try around the 30m mark between the north end of the marine reserve and the submarine cable; Navionics has that areas as a muddy bottom, I would probably fish right around the edge of all the contour lines where it drops off the sand.

EDIT: As for kingies over the sand/mud... they won't be holding in a particular area, but as you say they will probably show up if there's plenty of baitfish around. Burley up a storm and see if you can get a ball of macks to show up, deploy a livie. More likely to get rats otherwise, I've caught a couple of undersized ones that seemed to be hanging around with big schools of Kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went to Hunters Friday morning, just as we arrived everyone already there was smashing it on the kingfish but I think maybe the tide was changing as it went very dead for all of us; huge numbers of Kahawai and plenty of coutta around too. Often couldn't get a jig to the bottom as it would just get picked up by a Kahawai.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 4:15pm
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What boat were you in Rozboon?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 6:13pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by yellafin yellafin wrote:

What boat were you in Rozboon?

Wee Mac centre console :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:02pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Switched to winter fishing mode.... South Coast on Sunday, nice bag of half a dozen solid blue cod without too much trouble.

Such good fishing right on the city's doorstep.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:16pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fished Wellington harbour last Thursday, half dozen red cod, same amount of ky, at least i finally got out fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 6:20pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fished the harbour Sunday afternoon with kids. Falcon shoals, point Gordon and Evans bay. Caught 4 fish in total. 1 kahawai and 3 smaller gurnard. Despite lots of burley. At least no sharks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 11:53am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

guys, it is with great sadness to let you all know that Sean, 'Whippa' passed away peacefully on Tuesday. Sean fought bowel cancer with everything thing he had. The pain he endured was immense and after all the ops, procedures and infections, he finally let go. He leaves behind a wonderful wife and two young kids. Cry we laid him to rest yesterday at Whenua Tapu. Tight lines always Sean, your strength lives on. Pic taken March 2016, Taranaki.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 3:45pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh **** mate!! That is terrible news. RIP Whippa, may you're line always be tight... condolences to family. Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 10:16am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What a huge loss for the world. One of lifes really good guys. Some great adventures shared, and good laughs had. Gonna miss you Sean.

Here's a couple of pics I found on the forum from happier days

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:55pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

terrible news
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:14am
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bugger.... sad to see young guys go out like that....  actually its sad to see anyone go out like that. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 9:41pm
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

RIP Whippa.
Page  <1 774775776777778 793>