Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 773774775776777 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 7:24am
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out Fri night, sun morn and tues morn for a fish off pram beach in the shallow water managed a couple of snaps fri and yest but bigger all sun morning, conditions were great. Plagued by coutta yesterday though buggers were slicing through 60 pound leader like tissue paper. Great to get a couple of snaps. Those who fish in similar area in your experience do the snaps stick around in 5-10m into the colder months or do they tend to bugger off until the water warms up again?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote XL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 5:40pm
XL View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Kapitifisho

I usually do quite well at 8 to 10 metres when fishing at Otaki Beach but the weekend before ANZAC day I got nothing but shark at that depth but on ANZAC day (Tuesday) we did well when fishing at 20 metres with a slow procession of good solid snaps coming on board.

So who knows they are still around but seem to be deeper and not sure if anything to do with the water temperature being colder or not but both depths it was 16.5 degrees which is colder than normal.

I don't fish much in Otaki during the colder months as usually get wet with a beach launch so prefer to launch at the boat ramp at Plimmerton. I haven't caught many snaps during winter but I have heard of a few that do from others but they unlikely to give up exactly where

I would suspect they may hold around structure but they are dam hard to find

Cheers XL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:27am
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Forecast looks good for weekend.
Anyone got advice on where snapper might be out of plimmerton. Got a stash of albacore frames for burley and may as well set them free. 

Locations roughly?
Depth?

Any help appreciated

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:37am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cant help with any spots, but alby frames for burley? should send the fish nuts!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 6:55pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hear that the "bridge " between mana island and titahi bay still holding some , but i think if you burly with those frames snapper will come from miles away, just may need to sit tight and wait for them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:42pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful out on the water today, decided I'm **** at catching Snapper so went and chased Tarakihi, caught a Snapper :P amongst several good tiks.

Water temp was 16.5 between Pa Point and Puk Bay
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 7:50am
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by King Con King Con wrote:

I hear that the "bridge " between mana island and titahi bay still holding some , but i think if you burly with those frames snapper will come from miles away, just may need to sit tight and wait for them

Originally posted by Fissure Fissure wrote:

cant help with any spots, but alby frames for burley? should send the fish nuts!

Tried the bridge, with all the burley in the world. Didnt help one bit plague of baby cod! not even a panny might try north of plimmerton next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fire60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:09am
fire60 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Our snapper spot south of the bridge has gone off  the boil, but we are now getting terris there.  maybe worth a try for you?  We are using plenty of berley.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:51am
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Great haul Xl - got out sat evening was like a pond conditons superb, bloody dogfish liked the conditions as well!!! plagued by them, managed a couple of snaps just as the sun dropped which was great
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fire60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:18am
fire60 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yes, I reckon evenings for snapper better than morning.  Just at the change of light seems to be best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Y Wori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:04pm
Y Wori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Up until now I have launched from Seaview marina for fishing harbour and south coast, but I'm tossing between joining Mana CC or Pliimmerton Boating club to use a boat ramp for access to fishing on the west coast, and interested in any opinions from others on advantages/disadvantages for each.
So far I have:
Mana more sheltered
Mana has mooring for use in the sounds
Plimmerton is closer to fishing grounds
Plimmerton is more fishing focused.

I'm keen to get an idea of how busy the ramps get on really good days etc. and anything else that may sway me.
McLay 590 cruiser
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:56pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry r h , I followed my advise and fished the bridge , plagues by kahawai and 1 trev, so my advise was no good, but that dosent mean they wont be there next time, good luck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:56am
scouse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Y worri
Plimmerton has the advantages of 2 ramps, both can take 2 boats at once, it has a large filleting bench and bins for the waste, plenty of wash down areas and a shower block for a hot shower after a days diving. Disadvantages on a busy day parking can be limited if you get there late, the sailing fraternity can be a pain in the arse at times, if it turns south easterly the main ramp can get a bit of wind but still fairly sheltered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 10:21am
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Southcoast, this morning, Southerly squall incoming, might be a pot of fish at the end of the rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Y Wori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 4:34pm
Y Wori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the info SCOUSE. I went down today and signed up Smile
A few boats coming in with good size snaps, so they must still be out there.
McLay 590 cruiser
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:22pm
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Broadbill Found Wellington

Guys my brother was walking past the paremata train station last week and smelt something fishy.

after some investigation he found the smell, which turn out to be a a dead broadbill swordfish

So getting back on the swordfish band wagon, if anyone is keen on getting out there let me know

Originally posted by Ryan Halverson Ryan Halverson wrote:

Wanted Keen Fishermen
Hey anyone out there who would be keen to do a broadbill trip this weekend or subsequent weekends? Weather permitting we want to do a all nighter, we dont want much wind as the tide alone is enough of a effort if were using floats and multiple lines, so we are quite picky 
Ive looked at forecast on metvuw and looks like it could be possible if southerly dies early wouldn't make a call til thursday. (metservice doesn't agree)

So looking for a second or third boat to go out with, PM me if your interested and ill let you know if we go. Dont need to make a commitment its just ill email you our intentions.
We are in a vindex 375 sport with twin 200s but if we have a second boat would be keener on doing a all nighter.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:53am
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

would of have to of been dumped there? maybe a gin palace caught it?
just ate my last bit of snapper last night, time to chase other things I reckon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:20pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys,

I know there is a for sale section, but thought id post here for you locals in case anyone is interested. 

I have a Shimano Saragosa 10000, along with a Shimano PE3-6 250-350gram for for sale - Both are brand new in packaging.

Looking to take offers as I am wanting something more suited for the kayak and I think this setup would be better off on a boat. I already have a little kingi setup for the yak so am looking for funds towards a new strayline setup (got my eye on the thunnus 8000).

PM me if interested. Details of each found here:

Reel: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/shimano-saragosa-10000-sw-spinning-reel

Rod (PE3-6): https://www.topcatch.co.nz/shimano-energy-concept-rod-range.html

Cheers,

Ants.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:24pm
John_B View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QUOTE=xtreamz]Hey guys,

am looking for funds towards a new strayline setup (got my eye on the thunnus 8000).

I have the Thunnus 4500 - great straylining reel and doubles up as a pretty good soft baiting reel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:36pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have only heard good reviews about them! I have old 4500b reels which are good but are getting on a bit after being quite old and worn down with the last 5-6 years being on the yak so something new and shiny would be nice.

Page  <1 773774775776777 793>