Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 767768769770771 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 7:50am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've had big kingis on the Bridge that I couldn't stop (snapper gear). I guess you just never know unless you put on the bigger gear and maybe a length of wire trace.

Sounds like there are a lot of snapper around on the west coast and the weather has definitely kept the pressure off which may help the continued recovery of the snapper fisher. Good to hear juveniles are being caught indicating (perhaps) local breeding 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 8:59am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by zoli zoli wrote:

Hi new to this, was spooled by something in puk bay yesterday.
my thoughts was big bronzy, judging by the surface splash. Had full brake and pressure on the spool but still made no difference to the rate of line disappearing, reel is a 6500 baitrunner, line parted and went with a crackCry. Anyone else had this.

We've caught a couple of fairly large (~6ft) Tope out there, they are real bulldozers. Only managed to stop them because both times they took the bait on a rod with 50lb braid and a bit of grunt.
I wouldn't rule out Kingfish either, although if you were bottom fishing with small baits I would say it's less likely than a shark or even a big ray.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:24am
zoli View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

have caught big grey boys there but nothing with the grunt of this thing, awesome day though had to travel around abit to get a feed, tried puk bay 1 trev, bridge 2 gurnard, plimmerton point 2 snap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TrexTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 9:29am
TrexTim View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So I've had the same the last two times out Mana.  Dead KY under a float about 1.5m below surface in the burley trail on bait runner set-up.  Fish starts taking line at a slow rate and continues at that rate - no change.  After about 30 seconds go to set the hook, but no hookup and the KY comes back in neatly severed off behind the head.  Guessing its a shark of some description, but no sightings to confirm.  Snaps in great condition.  Got 11 in an hour on Sun all in the 6-10lb class.  Beautiful.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:20am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my thoughts was big bronzy, judging by the surface splash. Had full brake and pressure on the spool but still made no difference to the rate of line disappearing, reel is a 6500 baitrunner, line parted and went with a crackCry. Anyone else had this.

I was one of the kayaks out there Sunday - I had a massive thick line on the sounder coming up from the bottom (probably 7-8mm wide on the Elite 5 screen), was just looking at it thinking '**** that's coming up' then had a 'donk!' on the yak and caught a bit of movement out the corner of my eye over my shoulder.

Sat there and looked all around waiting for it to come back but it never did....

Did have 1 or two big takes later on as well though on the strayline which I was struggling to stop but then whatever it was let go of the bait (bait came back fully in tact).

One of the other kayakers said he had a thresher shark that morning too.

But on another note, how 'bout that fishing! never had so many snapper in my life!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 11:31am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by TrexTim TrexTim wrote:

So I've had the same the last two times out Mana.  Dead KY under a float about 1.5m below surface in the burley trail on bait runner set-up.  Fish starts taking line at a slow rate and continues at that rate - no change.  After about 30 seconds go to set the hook, but no hookup and the KY comes back in neatly severed off behind the head.  Guessing its a shark of some description, but no sightings to confirm.  Snaps in great condition.  Got 11 in an hour on Sun all in the 6-10lb class.  Beautiful.

I was watching ol' Matt Watson the other day and they had the exact same thing happen to tuna livies they were towing, was Dolphins doing it. Never heard of it happening around here but it makes you wonder.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:53pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The amount of dolphins around lately I wouldn't be suprised! Never seen dolphins while on the kayak before, and now seen them the last 2 weekends, and know of many others that are seeing them (they were in puk bay again last night apparently)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 11:13am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got out for a fish last night, ended up hiding from the Northerly near Pa Point.
Very quiet fishing until change of light, at which point we got stuck into some good Trevs and several Kahawai.
Had a livey out that got hammered just as we were packing up, took maybe 150m of line, 5 minutes or so into the fight it was under the boat when the 80lb braid touched the metal cap on the end of the rubbing strake and let go like a gunshot. Bugger!

Snapper conspicuous in their absence...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote numbskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:00pm
numbskull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Are there any Dinghy fishers on here? I've just downsized to a wee Mac 360 boat and I’m looking for places to launch (harbour / west) which I wouldn’t have considered in the bigger tub. Puk bay, Titahi bay, Makara, Seatoun, etc? Any tips for these spots or suggestions for others? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coal Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm
Coal Baggins View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So is anyone catching a lot of snapper on the Bridge, or are they getting more on the north end of Mana, out on the sandy stuff? Just wondering about where's best to anchor up in that area without heading right up to Pukerua Bay. Appreciate any suggestions.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 8:23am
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by vvvishalll vvvishalll wrote:

Westcoast Charters are Wellingtons longest running ... 

Might be an idea to move your advert to the charter section of the forum and keep this thread for reports
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SpottyChaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 9:40am
SpottyChaser View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, and the report quoted is from Sept 2014.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:53pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by xtreamz xtreamz wrote:

I was one of the kayaks out there Sunday - I had a massive thick line on the sounder coming up from the bottom (probably 7-8mm wide on the Elite 5 screen), was just looking at it thinking '**** that's coming up' then had a 'donk!' on the yak and caught a bit of movement out the corner of my eye over my shoulder.

Sat there and looked all around waiting for it to come back but it never did....

I forgot, I had a berley cam down on Sunday. Here is a quick snippet of some of the action it recorded (full length is about 20mins and has lots of interesting fish footage)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 2:56pm
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not sure why the youtube vid won't upload....here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvGVk6QD3w
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kiwifred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
kiwifred View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

nice vid..... no wonder you were catching heaps.. what was the berley flavour?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polyfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2017 at 7:10pm
Polyfest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Looks like a seven gill. Where abouts were you?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Y Wori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 8:29am
Y Wori View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

great footage - What are you using for your action cam?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 11:48am
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Headed out yesterday for a tuna hunt. Got 2 hits wide of hunters, lost both :/ Gotta remember to zip tie the double hooks.
Anyway - 7 more hours of trolling after the initial hits and we had 0 in the bin. So they're around but not very plentiful. Lots of blue water all the way from mana to kapiti and presumably beyond. Water temps fluctuated quite a bit from 17 - almost 19 degrees in places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Polyfest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 1:31pm
Polyfest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've been wanting to target them. How far out do you need to go? Is it depth, colour of water, temperature changes, or a mix of the three that determines success? Which is the most important? My boat is not the biggest so don't want to get out too far in case metservice get it as wrong as they usually do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 5:07pm
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Polyfest Polyfest wrote:

I've been wanting to target them. How far out do you need to go? Is it depth, colour of water, temperature changes, or a mix of the three that determines success? Which is the most important? My boat is not the biggest so don't want to get out too far in case metservice get it as wrong as they usually do.

Temperature breaks and blue water. You'd be surprised how far south they can come in good warm years. Look out for bird life as well, they can be a very good sign of schools below.
Biggest tip from me would be that if you catch them........put aside a heap of time at the end of the day to clean up cause you'll have blood everywhere.........and on that note, if you do catch them, remember to bleed them by inserting your filleting knife behind the pectoral fins on the lateral line....

There a great fish to catch and even better to eat
Page  <1 767768769770771 793>