Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 777778779780781 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 7:34am
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Got out off pram beach last night great conditions was like a pond, 3 carrots one snap and a number of undesirables. Great to hook into a snap again
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote numbskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:06am
numbskull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quick question does anybody have experience launching from the waterski club near petone? Just wondering if I'm likely to get stuck retrieving my mac 360 with a 2.0 Subaru AWD. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TrexTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:15am
TrexTim View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yep i have.  You probably won't get stuck in and AWD, but there's definitely a chance of not getting your boat up as all loose fist size pebbles/stones (much like the hutt river.  It would depend on the tide as well.  If you can't pull your boat up you can always hoon over to the eastbourne side and use the ramp just south of where the tankers unload
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote numbskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:25am
numbskull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool thanks for that. I'll bring a long rope so I can run the trailer down if traction is an issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yakman12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
Yakman12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by snoteel snoteel wrote:

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

You know you've arrived when, on a flat-calm day, you suddenly run into 6 foot steep waves going in all different directions. Like a bloody great washing machine.

yeah rozboon...that was kinda my point when yakman12 said his mate was a bit nervous and had a new boat...i've owned a few boats and been on the water for many years yet my first trip to karori light gave me the shirts...it was wild, honking current and waves coming from all sides...not fun...

We ended up heading round there in a 15 knot northerly, was OK in close but heading around Sinclair head was a washing machine. I lost a bit of gear in the rip, but still picked up a few blue cod.

I'm interested in airport reef? I live in Lyall Bay and look out over the airport, I'm guessing it basically straight off the airport (inline with the Pencarrow lighthouse)?? As I often see a few boats sitting out there.

Is it a better option that 5 mile reef in average conditions?

Cheers!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 1:11pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Yakman12 Yakman12 wrote:

I'm interested in airport reef? I live in Lyall Bay and look out over the airport, I'm guessing it basically straight off the airport (inline with the Pencarrow lighthouse)?? As I often see a few boats sitting out there.

Is it a better option that 5 mile reef in average conditions?

Cheers!

Fished Airport a while back for a few hours for three-fifths of **** all and a couple of Kahawai. Maybe it was just a very slow day on the fish but honestly there's thousands of un-named reefs and patches of foul, many of them much closer to shore, that will produce fish out there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:54pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Plenty of snaps and gurnard around Pukurua bay at the moment. Went out for a fish yesterday and got into them almost immediately (around 40m depth). Unfortunately sharks, red cod and blind eels also in abundance :/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 6:47pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one Ninja! did you happen to check the temp? I'd be interested to know what it is out there. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote scouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 8:05pm
scouse View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dave it was between 15 and 16 deg, varied with the change in tide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:24pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quiet for me yesterday, but temp got up to 16.5 before change to incoming tide then went 15.8, very snappery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:14am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice...thanks guys. looks like more warm weather on the way so hopefully it keeps on heating up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 6:46am
Bronze
Bronze

Out on sat night calmed right off heaps of kahawai on the surface birds working etc then had fantastic display from pod of orcas for about 30 mins was amazed how big they were also we were only in about 6 m of water, having sting rays for dinner I think. No snaps a few ky who were chocka full of anchovies and whitebait and a stack of spinys (wish the orcas would eat those!). privileged to have seen them so close, but slightly glad they didn’t come for a closer look at my little launch!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Yakman12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:14am
Yakman12 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished off Thom's rock on Saturday over high-tide, absolute cracker.

Picked up a bunch of decent sized blue cod. No other species.

Looked like it would be a pretty rough spot in not perfect weather.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote numbskull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 1:04pm
numbskull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

It’s a long shot but does anyone know where I might be able to get some servicing on a 15hp outboard this side of Christmas?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:04am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Had a nice Saturday morning on the harbour, real mixed bag - 4 Carrots, 2 Tarakihi, a Blue Cod, 2 Kahawai for the smoker and a lone panny Snapper :) Good to see they're back in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 6:07pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - interested in views on fish finders I am in the market for a new one have a budget of about 500 bucks and have narrowed it down to either the raymarine dragonfly or Garmin Striker. It’s to go on a smartwave 4200 and I will be mainly fishing in 5-25 m of water out and around kapiti, would like good GPS marking capability and something that is relatively easy to use. Keen to hear opinions and if you think I should be considering something else cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:12pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by @kapitifisho @kapitifisho wrote:

Hi all - interested in views on fish finders I am in the market for a new one have a budget of about 500 bucks and have narrowed it down to either the raymarine dragonfly or Garmin Striker. It’s to go on a smartwave 4200 and I will be mainly fishing in 5-25 m of water out and around kapiti, would like good GPS marking capability and something that is relatively easy to use. Keen to hear opinions and if you think I should be considering something else cheers

Not to be a dick but I wouldn't bother with a new fishfinder + chartplotter for that money. Spend a little bit more or you will get something that's not very good at either job.
Of the 2 you've listed I would be going for a Garmin Striker 5cv, but even that is >$600 and I don't think that includes a chart card.

Personally I would hunt around for something like a used Lowrance HDS7 Gen2.< ="/cdn-cgi/s/84a23a00/cloudflare-static/email-decode.min.js">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 9:34pm
Bronze
Bronze

thanks Rozboon - honesty is the best policy, don't want to waste 500-600 bucks on a piece of crap.  I had heard some good feedback about the dragonfly a mate just got one, not necessarily about chart/gps but picking up fish and structure, but like you from what I had read the garmin looked like the best option
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:43pm
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would not touch the Dragonfly, they are poorly sealed, have seen far too many fail, especially with water ingres around the chart card door. The Garmin is a far better unit.
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 9:17am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you're pretty rigid on the budget, I would get the best pure fishfinder you can afford, then use Navionics on a smartphone for charting. It's every bit as good as any chartplotter except for the ones that do real-time updating.
Which means something like a Furuno FCV-620 or 627, excellent fishfinders and with the P66 transducer that most come with you're covered for everything from 5m to maybe 200m.

Alternate option (again used) is a Lowrance HDS5x, like the Furuno no bells and whistles, just good quality sonar.
Page  <1 777778779780781 793>