Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 775776777778779 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 9:06pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

RIP - that sucks. One of the good guys :/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 1:03pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In happier news, shot out for a fish on the harbour yesterday as it was flat calm, water looked like milky coffee.
Wasn't holding out much hope due to the murky water but did really well on the Gurnard, couple of Kahawai for the smoker too. Really nice afternoon on the water.
Water temp was 10 degrees though, brrrrrrrrrr
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote encinitas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 12:58am
encinitas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Managed to get out for a fish this morning off Sinclair head, between 20-50m. Amazing sea conditions, but lackluster fishing - only small cod, wrasse and perch. Water still a bit dirty from the recent southerlies so I'm putting it down to that!

Anyone got any recommendations for terakihi spots off the south coast? I launch from Island bay, and have been fishing coast for only the past 6 months since moving down from Tauranga. Apart from a plague of blue cod (kept 10 and released another 40 or so off karori light a few weeks back!) and a few decent snapper off Sinclair over summer, I haven't been able to find any terakihi! I've been to 5 mile once and was skunked, and no luck at the trench so far. I was thinking off Baring head next, or maybe the airport reef??

Many thanks,
Vahe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 8:49am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You need to fish on the sand for Tarakihi, not the reef to catch them consistently, anchor off the reef and pay out anchor rope until your around 2-5m off - any closer and you'll get juvenile Blue Cod in big numbers.

Tarakihi swim in schools round the rocky reefs, fish small hooks under 2/0 and fresh Arrow Squid on a ledger rig - fish light as you can, a good sounder will pick them up very easily.

They are not hard to find at all anywhere on the South Coast, just that most fish for them on reefs to little avail. They also SUCK, not really bite, so use a bit of instinct, the slightest feeling of a dip or pull strike hard and quick, often striking at nothing will yield good fish.

Andrew
https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2017 at 7:46pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good advice there.cheers Andrew
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 1:26pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mustad Demon Circle 2/0's with tiny (fingernail sized) squid baits are the way to go.
I find with the wee circles you don't really even have to strike, just a firm lift of the rod tip and you're away.

Also as above if you're on the reef you'll catch endless small blue cod and those pinky-red wrasse things (we call them pigfish but I don't think they actually are?).

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Metal Float Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2017 at 3:14pm
Metal Float View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

As with fishing terries up in Tauranga, try without burley first as they may be biting and sometimes burley can put them off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2017 at 8:19am
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://https://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/95389690/waste-from-21000-people-to-end-up-in-the-sea-off-wellingtons-coast

Thought I'd post this article from todays rag. Looks like there will be sewage getting discharged on Wellys south coast. Might be worth knowing about before gathering kaimoana. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote encinitas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:59pm
encinitas View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the advice. I've been plagued by those pigfish and small cod so will try as you guys said.

Flyfisher, I watched some of your youtube videos and recognise some of my old flyfishing haunts in the Wairarapa! Its inspired me to get back up there more this summer.

Ohwiro bay is just around the corner from me and a shame there will be raw sewerage going in there for the next week, thanks for sharing that info. Got a few crays in my pots last week off lyall bay, but won't be doing that for a few weeks now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DeKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 11:17am
DeKay View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Scarlett wrasse
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 3:17pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Beautiful conditions on Saturday morning, launched at Tarakena (along with half of Wellington apparently) and shot out to the trench.
Nothing but Scarpies, a shark and a presumably kinda lost Kahawai, so we ducked in to the 30m or so mark to have a go at some cod.
Very slow fishing there, and then the southerly came up so we headed back in.
Lovely day on the water, just the fish weren't terribly hungry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:10pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all - bloody frustrating weather of late. Can anyone share some advice on targeting terries off kapiti island/pram beach I only have a smartwave 3500 so am restricted with how far I can head out but would love to try get a few in the bin. Advice appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 10:26am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by @kapitifisho @kapitifisho wrote:

Hi all - bloody frustrating weather of late. Can anyone share some advice on targeting terries off kapiti island/pram beach I only have a smartwave 3500 so am restricted with how far I can head out but would love to try get a few in the bin. Advice appreciated

Hi,

I'm just a kayaker so don't go out as far as the islands, but i've been managing some decent tarakihi on the kayak the last few weeks on the west coast, 3/0 ledger flasher rig has been working well, small strip of squid.

Got this fellas last Monday, along with a couple 35-40cm ones and a gurnard.

PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:52pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one xtreamz thanks for that - what depth were you in?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtreamz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 10:19am
xtreamz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Drifting between 45-60m
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 76cm | PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bmcculloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2017 at 8:01pm
bmcculloch View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all. Wondering if any one could please shed any light into livebaiting around Kapiti? We generally jig the North end but keen to get into this a bit more. 

Just some tips into what you are using for livies/where might be best to catch them (and any success with them) would be much appreciated. Launching from Pram/Waikanae.

Cheers 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 4:19pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi - I'm keen to give live baiting a fair crack as well in the same area. I only tried once or twice earlier this year and was too distracted straylining for snaps. Seemed to be a fair few jack macks around in 5-10 m water off pram beach once we got the burley going, seemed to catch a few on slow jigs rather than having a go with sabikis so they are around when the water is warmer, had problems with couta nailing them one was smoked by a donkey kahawai - think I might try with a decent kahawai under a balloon this time round rather than having them on the bottom
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:03am
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Plenty of big grunard in the harbour at the moment....nailed 4 within 20mins (46cm, 48cm, 2 x 51cm). Seem to be spawning as 3 were full of roe. Lots of little kahawhai around too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Spaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 11:29am
Spaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip, Ninjabert we found the same.
When's out for a late avo/evening fish with my young fella, and landed some nice grunta's that also were full of roe. Also pulled up a bunch of small Tiks and some nice Macks(along with a few other species)

The boy with his first grunta for the day

Me and Mr Carrot.

Tested out the new underwater light after dark. It amazing what makes its way up into the glow at night. Got to mount another one on the other side of the outboard this week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to read the reports, i fished over by ngaranga motorway about 200m offshore, hoping for a early snapper, got at least 10 big kahawai , a couple gurnard and 3 big red cod, not my target species but was lots of action
Page  <1 775776777778779 793>