Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  <1 770771772773774 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 9:02pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice to see more tuna being caught!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 6:33pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I hope someone can prove me wrong , But ive been out the last 4 times for 1 snapper, My last trip had me catching 9 spinys, and from experience snapper hate spinys as much as me , could the snapper have  already moved north from mana island etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 6:07am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

No there are still plenty around. The cold water and southerlies tend to slow them down a bit.

Without getting into specifics, they tend to move into deeper water and feed more on the reefs.

Hope this helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fire60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:49pm
fire60 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We have found that the best time is at the change of light.  Particularly at dusk.  We were out south of Titahi bay last Thursday after work, they only came onto the bite at about an hour before dusk. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 4:58pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had a **** summer on the Snaps. Caught a few here and there while targeting other fish, primarily Tarakihi on the edges of reefs. But none of notable size and never in significant quantities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 10:26pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

flip side of the coin - we've caught heaps out west in jan/feb. Biggest we got (50cm+) were all on reefs off kapiti....but we also got plenty of good 35cm+ ones on the sand off puk bay. Lately it's slowed down a bit though, but that's probably us just targeting tuna more :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 4:27pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks for the info, i think i will give it a good shot tomorrow for snaps around mana
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
@kapitifisho View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Keen to hear if people are still getting some snaps off kapiti - headed out this morning before daylight off pram beach 5-10 metres of water (have caught them in the area over last few months), no luck apart from a ****load of bites/takes on the baitrunners but no hook ups, haven't experienced it before was very patient with the take before hitting into gear as well. Burned through a bag of pillies lighting quick as normally haven't needed anything else harder. Thinking maybe little snapper tentative on the bite or some other variety has moved in close and wanted a free brekkie. Or all of kapitis spotty population wanted a free feed little buggers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote caleb.obyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2017 at 9:55pm
caleb.obyrne View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

got 6 snapper about a k off raumati (10-12m) Thursday last week. all were about the 35-38cm mark. was planning to go out looking for them tomorrow evening but might head out to kapiti to try for teri's if that's the case...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 11:43am
Bronze
Bronze

Good to hear they are still around Caleb - might have needed to be a bit deeper, tend to have more success on the snaps at night rather than the morning. Were you straylining baits or lures? Tomorrow night looks ok might try and get out again before the water cools off.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote caleb.obyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 1:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yea that was in the evening and straylining baits... Good luck, might see you out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 3:22pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good news caleb , is it the new boat that they are attracted to? Hopefully the snapper will hang around untill we get some decent weather, Uncle Con
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote @kapitifisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 6:54pm
Bronze
Bronze

You too mate - let us know how you get on, might be a big bugger just out there waiting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote caleb.obyrne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 9:05pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Con, yea must be the new boat aye! got two good snapper and a few terries so pretty happy. this weeks meant to get pretty bad weather wise... think we're getting the dregs of the cyclone that hit Queensland.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 9:28am
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good weekend at the tunatastic - conditions were good so I managed to get out well wide of kapiti in my little stabi 380 and my buddy nailed a 8.10kg tuna...lost another one at the boat but pretty pleased to have got one. Heard that quite a few other, bigger boats weren't quite so lucky when we got back. Water temps were mostly around 17 degrees, though got the tuna in a patch of 16.5 degree water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R-Halvrsn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 3:28pm
R-Halvrsn View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice work was having a look on the swellmap sst
Hopefully the weather settles so we can get out and have a smack before the bugger off north.

would be keen to see whats out off the east coast at the moment 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ninjabert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 6:37pm
ninjabert View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah, looks like the east coast has been getting a  lot of warm water. Never fished there to be honest. Planning on a taranaki trip this weekend to stock up the freezer with some tuna before winter hits properly..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Whippa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 8:58am
Whippa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Who's looking at heading out on the water tomorrow. What's the bite been like on the west coast.
The proofs in the ride
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fire60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:11am
fire60 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gidday Whippa,

Haven't been out for a week and a half, but snapper and terris were still around. Going out Sun morn may still be a bit dirty but worth a go.  I reckon the snapper will be heading to deeper water soon.

Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote King Con Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 12:17pm
King Con View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Muddy water pouring into evans bay on thursday, 
Page  <1 770771772773774 793>