parore(help)

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Booooooom! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: parore(help)
    Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:16pm
Booooooom! View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

i want to know where to catch these boys in the north shore or near the shore!!

and i need to know how to catch them(tips)

thanks!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:20pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bread or dough. We used to catch them by the sackload when I was a kid at what is now the ferry terminal area downtown Auck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote STEVIE WONDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:25pm
STEVIE WONDER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Don't know where you from but saw people at birkenhead wharf catching black snapper if thats the same fish as Parore
ONLY WHEN THE LAST TREE HAS DIED AND THE LAST RIVER BEEN POISONED AND THE LAST FISH BEEN CAUGHT WILL WE REALISE THAT WE CANNOT EAT MONEY.
NATIVE AMERICAN CREE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Toad2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:35pm
Toad2 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Most wharfs will hold them.
I usually burley them up with bread, corn and carrot together. Sometimes if they are confident enough they will come up to the surface to eat as well. As tagit said use bread and dough. For bread, float it down to the feeding parore. Or if you can't see them put a small trout hook on and inbed it with bread or dough so the hook point is just out. let it sink naturally and if the line moves odd you have one and strike softly.
ORRR if its too deep use a ledger rig with size 1/0 hooks and balls of bread/dough on it, wait for the load to come on and strike. If you feel little nibbles it probably is sprats or spotties so don't bother, you will loose your bait if you strike.
Hope this helps, Good luck
Toad2 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:59pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

bread dough lol sprats will be the parore won't they I alway use little shellfish baits and 2/0 mutsu ledger rigs caught buckets full there everwhere were there rocks or any structure best bait for them is he green seaweed stuff on rocks they cant resist it
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:02pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Saw heaps of them, tails and dorsals out of the water, grazing weed from rockpools on the top of a ledge that was awash at Omaha last weekend.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 8:09pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yep the fine green seaweed is a top bait for them. Can make a nice burley for them with that seaweed mixed with sand.

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Craig Worthington did an article in NZFN a while ago recommending frozen mixed vegetables as bait. Apparently the spotties and other ooglies leave these baits alone, but the parore love them.

The one time I've targetted them with bait I used mussels from the supermarket, and they lost their sht over it. This was at Matiatia wharf at Waiheke, but as Tagit remembers, there are no shortage of them in the main Auckland ferry terminal area.

If you want to eat them, fillet them quickly, or gut them carefully, making sure you don't pierce the stomach, as the iodine in the gut can taint the flesh. The fillets are delicious if treated right.

Funny name, "black snapper", as they're not (a) black, or (b) snapper. I've heard them called "luderick", "blackfish" and "old maid", as well as "shtfish".
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 9:05pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

whenever i have cooked them they roll up and go tough...especially steaming them....Gave up trying to cook them years ago...is there a special way?
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Doubie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 9:29pm
Doubie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to catch plenty of them in the estuary at Mangawhai when I was a teen (many years back now Wink). Low tide they used to run in the channel and would readily take pipi's I collected there - good fight in shallow water on light gear Thumbs Up
Maybe my memory of taste isn't so good (or my Mum was an even better cook than I remember), but pretty sure they were eaten and just fileted with butter in the pan.... no salt ice or chilibin for me back then
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pure--lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 10:11pm
pure--lure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Grew up eating them in fish pies as money was scarce absouloutely beautiful use to catch them fillet them beautiful white meat
http://www.facebook.com/groups/hibiscus.coast.fishing/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 12:39am
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Ahab Ahab wrote:

Craig Worthington did an article in NZFN a while ago recommending frozen mixed vegetables as bait. Apparently the spotties and other ooglies leave these baits alone, but the parore love them.

The one time I've targetted them with bait I used mussels from the supermarket, and they lost their sht over it. This was at Matiatia wharf at Waiheke, but as Tagit remembers, there are no shortage of them in the main Auckland ferry terminal area.

If you want to eat them, fillet them quickly, or gut them carefully, making sure you don't pierce the stomach, as the iodine in the gut can taint the flesh. The fillets are delicious if treated right.

Funny name, "black snapper", as they're not (a) black, or (b) snapper. I've heard them called "luderick", "blackfish" and "old maid", as well as "shtfish".
yep, they are called Luderick or Blackfish over here, pipi's and cabbage or ribbon weed are the gun baits. they take lures more often than you would expect too, with vibes being what seems to take them the most
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:08am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if you check out some of the Aussie forums they have whole sections on how to catch them regarded as a sport fish thier
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:23am
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Haven't been for a eyar or so - but used to catch them off the little walking bridge on the edge of the big pond at chelsea sugar factory. go into the pond a little and grab some of the fine light green weed off the ground there in the shallow - hard to miss its everywhere. Although certain tyimes of the year had more than others. Wrap it around a small trout hook a few times and put it out under a thin pencil float with a couple of split shots. There is a little angled wall that runs from the pond as an overlfow down to thw sea. First started fishing for them there as one day i was walking around there and noticed them feeding on bits of the wall. would have been 5 or 6 casually feeding - a coupld a good 2-3 pounds!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 9:49am
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Are they actually good eating? They are a type of drummer? no?

We used to catch them all the time down in Whitianga on the pipi beds by the wharf. Used to use the pipis at your feet, we were targetting other table fish so mostly put the Parore back, (or fed to the animals).

They do put up a reasonable fight on light line. Have some nasty spines IIRC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:51am
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

[yep, they are called Luderick or Blackfish over here, pipi's and cabbage or ribbon weed are the gun baits. they take lures more often than you would expect too, with vibes being what seems to take them the most[/QUOTE]

Interesting that they take blades, Makka. A mate got a monstrous one on a softie the other day, we thought it was  a fluke. Blades are on the point of taking off over here, still a bit new and hard to find in the sports shops.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 2:47pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[yep, they are called Luderick or Blackfish over here, pipi's and cabbage or ribbon weed are the gun baits. they take lures more often than you would expect too, with vibes being what seems to take them the most

Interesting that they take blades, Makka. A mate got a monstrous one on a softie the other day, we thought it was  a fluke. Blades are on the point of taking off over here, still a bit new and hard to find in the sports shops.
[/QUOTE]
In certain areas around there they can actually be a pain when fishing for bream, they certainly go well on light gear though!
 Blades are great, I have packed a few in my tackle box for my trip to nz (fly out tonight) I have caught heaps of different fish on them, they are great for trout in lakes because they cast so bloody far and the trout love them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 3:54pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by makka makka wrote:

[yep, they are called Luderick or Blackfish over here, pipi's and cabbage or ribbon weed are the gun baits. they take lures more often than you would expect too, with vibes being what seems to take them the most

In certain areas around there they can actually be a pain when fishing for bream, they certainly go well on light gear though!
 Blades are great, I have packed a few in my tackle box for my trip to nz (fly out tonight) I have caught heaps of different fish on them, they are great for trout in lakes because they cast so bloody far and the trout love them!
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, my brother brought a couple of tiny trout/ bream blades back from Melb over Chrissie. They look amazing, haven't tried them yet. Where are you fishing in NZ, mate? Be sure to post here and let us know how you get on, and if you need any advice there'll be plenty of people here who can help you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote makka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 4:47pm
makka View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

fly into wellington tonight, spending a few days there then up to taranaki for a few days then across to whangamata and back to welly, should be good!
On a side note, the best blades I have found are the TT, Strikepro and Damiki ones
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2012 at 3:39pm
viper View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all
Does anyone know were to fish for Parore at Milford marnia.
I have been there but am not sure were to start.
I was thinking on the road side grass bank were the culvet enters or to the left of the bus stop on the last jettie.
Any info would be great.
PM me if you dont want it up on the site.
I am planning to give it a go this sat.

Thanks
Page  123>