THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)

Page  123 17>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)
    Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:19am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

take it away mate.....Thumbs Up...I for one will appreciate your efforts.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:33am
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

1 x striped marlin Hokianga west coast 25/01/11 116kg
1x huge kohe and 1x skippy -note the spear hole in the skippy
also some of the fish that have come from the west coast about four out of nine this season have had broken bills ,missing keel fins and deformed pectorals    

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:39am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome, Ilex - keep them coming!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:06am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yeop this will be Intereeeeeeeeeeeesssssting !!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:21am
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very cool, Kerran you may want to add that info about the broady autopsy you guys did on U/L
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:33am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Broadbill, Wanganella Banks, May 2006 - 2 x Frostfish, 1 x scampi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JUST ANOTHER FISHERMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:37am
JUST ANOTHER FISHERMAN View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Zane what did Jigga's two blue have in them.

The one we picked up . Around 170kg
3x skippy's ?
www.justanotherfisherman.co.nz

Mr & Mrs Style Ltd.
Design / Production / Merchandising.
Small run fishing tees and Graphics available.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:56am
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How long after the fish was hooked were the stomach contents looked at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:41am
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

the stripy at the top was caught around 9am Pete so we had the stomach out around 8 hours after that 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:51am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The blue we caught on 4th jan this year was full chocka with Alberts, according to Dave the weigh master/fish smoker in Paihia
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Real,real gone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 7:56pm
Real,real gone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Zane, do you have any shots of Bayly's blue from yesterday?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:00pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome thread, this is gonna make some great reading, great idea Kezza and thanks Ilex
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:12pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Are Puffer Fish common to find in Marlin Guts ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Peter Pakula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:35pm
Peter Pakula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

During the HIBT the PORF scientists get together to do talks about recent findings and do research on fish during the tournaments. A number of talks in the years I went from 1989 research on stomach contents were part of the agendas.

I recall Julian Pepperal and either Barbara Bloch or the tattooed scientist from Tahiti were right into it. One of the impediments in getting good results is that apex predators and scavengers have very strong acid in their stomachs that dissolves things quickly when the fish / sharks are alive and continues to dissolve things after death until the acid is neutralised which is why it's often the case that fish that have been dead for whatever time only have large food items remaining in their stomachs which is still certainly great information, but not the whole picture.

If there could be a sanction by the NZGFC and allow the stomach and it's contents to be removed on capture the results may be a huge benefit, and I think you'll find it quite remarkable.

The stomach is emptied into a bucket and detergent added to neutralise the acid and leave the contents as they are.

Maybe just give exemptions to a few boats for one tourney...........

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
Venture View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This will be my first post on this web site i think i owe it you guys because i have read most reports for the areas Tutukaka north over the past couple of years  to see were the bite is happing. This Topic is a favourite of mine as we cut up all our fish ourselfs, we have taken two fish of the west this year First was 85kg stripey it was empty fish hooked at 9.15am  second fish 140 kg stripey hooked at 12.15 had a very decomposed gut of squid, and what we think was a jack mac or two, and just to note  neither fish was very aggresive when they came into the gear  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:18pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Chris & welcome 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dunwurkn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:48pm
Dunwurkn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Chris was that the double header of Glinks Gully on lil grommit?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 2SHITS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:50pm
2SHITS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Venture Venture wrote:

This will be my first post on this web site i think i owe it you guys because i have read most reports for the areas Tutukaka north over the past couple of years  to see were the bite is happing. This Topic is a favourite of mine as we cut up all our fish ourselfs, we have taken two fish of the west this year First was 85kg stripey it was empty fish hooked at 9.15am  second fish 140 kg stripey hooked at 12.15 had a very decomposed gut of squid, and what we think was a jack mac or two, and just to note  neither fish was very aggresive when they came into the gear  
Gd effort on 2 in da bag this early in da season skuz..  nice work - when ya say non aggresive - were ya having to drop back da lures or turn to get da bite..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:03pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

96 season we had a baby thresher in our 90kg stripey,will try and find the photo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:04pm
Venture View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

yeah it was of glinks m8 and ya for boat name
Page  123 17>