THE GUTS OF IT! (ILEX AUTOPSY RESULTS)

Page  <1 1011121314 17>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:04pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

awesome!!! thanks for sharing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:36pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

not mutton birds are they?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dirtyharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:52pm
dirtyharry View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

not mutton birds are they?

Did they smell like CRC?
I waste most of my money on fishing tackle. The rest I invest in women and booze.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feijoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:55pm
feijoa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wow really? thats insane.. mustve been dead and floated down/??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 7:57pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have witnesed it myself at the mokes but they ate it by accident when a bird got accidently hooked on a stickbait then smoked by a kingi craziest thing i ever seen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

LOL wish I was there seg would still be laughing, saw one get nailed a few years ago up here by what I presume was a marlin it was fear buggered and when we go close was just twitching, saw the splashing from a long ways of, I feel if it was a shark it would have finished it off but hey could be well wrong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote segador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 8:49pm
segador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mother nature is cruel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alan syme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 10:56pm
alan syme View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

wow, that is interesting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sizedoesntmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 8:25am
sizedoesntmatter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They looked to be a jesus bird and a shag. I doubt they were eaten dead. More likely they were diving for krill etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote zane wright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2014 at 8:15pm
zane wright View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Stripey yesterday in he Bay had 18 big jacks inside the others that have been up the winch have had bugger in the guts
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 8:40am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The big stripy we got on the King Bank had 3 good sized koheru in it's gut.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fsholc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:43am
fsholc View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Here is the contents from the 163kg fish we got off hoki last week.
look to me as rays bream and a frost fish....had a couple more rays bream in its gut but fell apart while i was taking them out 
fish caught in deep water (500m) but didnt know rays bream where near the surface during the day?????
is this fish feeding at night or going deep? 
ate a little lure too!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:47am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

hey luke, was talking to john norman who has a commercial boat in tairua yesterday, he fishes west coast down off nelson for Albacore in summer, was saying yesterday how he catches numbers of rays bream on the surface on his albie lures (mainly just before dark)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Torpedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:03am
Torpedo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Interesting Luke.  The last time we were out those ways looking for swords, Rays Bream were thick mid water (200 odd m from memory). Had stopped to test out an electric reel between sword drops and three drops in a row we caught bream on the way down. Sent one out as a livie after a lit up stripie swam straight under the outboard, didn't come back but.

Anything inside the sword?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:51am
Titanium
Titanium

smokey up here did a stripy the other day saying it was chocka with sauri, time to match the hatch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ILEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:25pm
ILEX View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I've caught rays bream on the jigs just under the prop at night at the patch and one of the fish that was caught off stevies the other week had a 5lb fresh snapper in it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gowest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 4:17pm
Gowest View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting stuff there Luke, Ive noticed a few of the reports on the west coast threads saying that quite a few of the stripes have been full of squid lately which makes me wonder....... if they are full of squid does that mean they are feeding deep during the day or more likely feeding at night. I might be wrong but squid mainly go deep during the day and are up on the surface during the night? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 5:35pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a small comment to above as I have spoken to many commercial fisherman when I used to do lots of work on comm boats and that was that predators come up to feed during bite times, feeding peaks and tidal periods that resulted in bait being up, vulnerable and lethargic, during these times predators from squid to tuna to marlin would either ball bait up or wait and then attack at these times. They would then after these bite and mayhem times have to go down deeper to cool off as they would burn off so much metabolism during these times. So coming back to marlin and tuna there was a common arrhythmic cycle that they would come up and go back down, same with larger predatory squid, the comm fishos noticed more Big Eye/Bluefin being caught on long lines in mid water than surface. This was backed up by further scientific analysis/observation where Blue Marlin in particular would mainly hang out at and travel at 50 or so metres. Sperm Whales also knowing when to go down deep and await the squid coming back down the depths tired and needing a rest after their feeding frenzy, the whales would then capitalise on this when the squid were most vulnerable. My point being, many predators stay below the surface and epi-pelagic region...

Sorry, just a small comment, off subject I guess.Embarrassed
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cletuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:02pm
Cletuz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This was in the gob of a 100kg stripy caught of the manukau on the 13th of April  

Any Idea's?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cletuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2014 at 4:06pm
Cletuz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also another 100kg stripy that we caught at the king bank on 25th of april had 3 small mahi mahi in it and it took a green and yellow lure too
Page  <1 1011121314 17>