Canterbury Kingfish

Page  123 9>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Kingfish
    Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 4:41pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone here had experience catching kings around Banks Peninsula, Taylors, Sumner etc ? I have read plenty of reports of fish sighted or caught but haven't found much in this forum. I plan to drag some lures or drop some jigs from Sumner to the Lyttelton Heads this summer and would be interested to hear from anyone that has done this successfully. MAybe even beside the mussell farms mite work ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:22pm
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah, so you're a Cantab? I'm originally from ChCH but when I was growing up in the 60-70s the only fish that Dad targeted was herrings and the occasional kahawai in the Waimak, hand set net flounder at Sumner and the odd cod at Port Levy. Kingfish hadn't been invented yet, LOL.

My sister and her husband (ChCh) have just had a renewed interest in fishing and bought rods and reels for Xmas so I will watch your posts with interest...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:31pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

i've heard do the miles and look for the big clumps of kelp floating in the water, a lot of the kings are caught sight casting to kings under the floating kelp, poppers and jigs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:34pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

about 3km out for brigton pier, there is somthing out there, mates got some kings there last year, pm sal72 on here and ask him, you will find him in the spearo's area
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:41pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm a Cantab too Brooook.Smile

Back in the late 60's,  a mate of mine caught a kingi at the Rangitata mouth.

It was such an unusual catch, nobody knew what it was, true!

It got sent to the museum to be id'd

LOL

Good luck with your quest SeaRaider & let us know how you get on

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:15pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Since I married one I am ! Originally from Auckland but decided the pace was too fast for me. Have had to learn how to fish all over again though. Now most of my time over summer is spent chasing salmon at the river mouths. Had I not got one my first season I would probably have given up by now as you put a lot of hours in without seeing a fish.

I have bait fished around the Lyttelton heads and further around banks peninsula and found some ok spots for blue cod but nothing spectacular to date and tend to head to Motunau of Kaikoura.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Epic Epic wrote:

i've heard do the miles and look for the big clumps of kelp floating in the water, a lot of the kings are caught sight casting to kings under the floating kelp, poppers and jigs
Thanks Epic, thats the plan so will keep you all posted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:19pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

I'm a Cantab too Brooook.Smile

Back in the late 60's,  a mate of mine caught a kingi at the Rangitata mouth.

It was such an unusual catch, nobody knew what it was, true!

It got sent to the museum to be id'd

LOL

Good luck with your quest SeaRaider & let us know how you get on

Thats really hard case. Now days you would post a pic on a forum and 100 people would ID it for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:20pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by fd3s fd3s wrote:

about 3km out for brigton pier, there is somthing out there, mates got some kings there last year, pm sal72 on here and ask him, you will find him in the spearo's area
Thanks fd3s, will do
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:24pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yep apparently, do the miles searchin for weed. kill the motor (cos there spost to be pritty shy of those, down here. cast poppers or blu n white grim reapers and crank like a bar steward!.
personally ive neva seen one down here, but those guys in the know seem to get quite a few.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:33am
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dose anybody know if kingi's have arrived yet? Heard that they where with the Kahawai at the mouth of the Clarence (kaikoura) just after christmas ??? Wanting to have a go land based at taylors, water is now warm enough, but would have a bit more confidence if i was sure they was here. Has anybody seen/heard anything yet?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Afternoon Delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 12:30pm
Afternoon Delight View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

On the canterbury fishing facebook page a guy claimed he caught one just before xmas at the waimak mouth, they are meant be be feeding on the kahawhi. Unless i see a pic of one caught in canterbury ill keep traveling i think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bob.f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 4:55pm
Bob.f View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I haven't seen any yet, last year it was late February?  But they do appear around Taylors and Port Levy up by the mussel beds.

Lost a reel that was destroyed in seconds by hooking one, didn't know there were Kingfish down here, and wasn't ready nor expecting them.

From the ones I saw last year, only the very biggest make the trip or survive?  I'm looking at some gear that hopefully I'll be able to hook and land one or more.

But as I said, my snorkelling around Taylors I have seen none.  Maybe they just aren't in close yet?
Si ego cado is est non terminus
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gollyfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:48pm
gollyfish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

they'll be about by now, best to fish after a few easterly blows cos they push the blue water inshore, fish the weed rafts on the  the blue water line!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote subaruboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:06pm
subaruboi View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out for a try at black rock, did some slide baiting and livebaiting but only got barracouta, will be going over again soon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MrRabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 12:54pm
MrRabbit View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MadKeen# MadKeen# wrote:

Has anyone here had experience catching kings around Banks Peninsula, Taylors, Sumner etc ? I have read plenty of reports of fish sighted or caught but haven't found much in this forum. I plan to drag some lures or drop some jigs from Sumner to the Lyttelton Heads this summer and would be interested to hear from anyone that has done this successfully. MAybe even beside the mussell farms mite work ?

I'm a Cantab living in Auckland. The main reason I moved back here was because the fishing is so much better. If you want Kingies in Canterbury I suggest two places; the northern side of Pt Levy inside the headland catches a warm current that they like at certain times over summer, and on a good day you can see the buggers just basking there. A kayak would probably be your best bet with a small livie hanging below with a 1/4 ounce ball sinker on top of the hook. Otherwise the north west side of Magnet Bay has been known to hold them, but be careful if you are livebaiting because there are heaps of seals.

I've never seen a confirmed landbased Kingie catch in Canterbury, but I've heard elusive rumors...

Hope that helps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Afternoon Delight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:29am
Afternoon Delight View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FYI for anyone who's interested. Kingies are back in Canty. Catching them out past Lyttelton heads. Haven't caught a legal sized one yet but there are some good sized buggers around so hopefully won't be long
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MadKeen# Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:08pm
MadKeen# View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good to hear mate and cheers for the update. I still haven't caught one out there yet, mostly coz the wind seems to blow everytime I want to head out. If you ever need a crew member who has all their own gear and knows the cost of running and maintaining a boat sing out and I'll tag along.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hayden N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:18pm
Hayden N View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

seen massive splashes up the back of Kahawai school near the Opihi river mouth February last year, Blue water was in really close and the sea was the cleanest Ive ever seen,I reckon they where kingfish but cant be certain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fear no fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 4:45pm
fear no fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hoping to get out Sunday morning.

Anyone know how far out the clean water is at the moment?
Page  123 9>