tauranga fishing

Page  <12345 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:51pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

why outgoing tide? my way of thinking is to catch fish on the out going tide you have to be in a channel, as thats where the fish will be heading thru.  in a channel = lettuce harvester.
In coming tide into a feeding area I thought was more logical.  I usual catch some good sized fish up the harbour. over the last 2 summers, we've generally pulled  at least 1 fish int he 6-8lb bracket per trip, but this summer there is NONE.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mxaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 5:50pm
mxaone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i dont normaly fish the outgoing either i perfer the incomming but when out a few days go we ran out of incoming tide so tried a few spots on the out going and hit pay dirt.
i have been fishing both directions over the past week or so and have been landing more ish on the outgoing (dont ask me why as im no scientist but its been working
cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:59am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The main thing is at least you have been catching, I think the night time (darktime) is best for inner harbour. I did have some good fish last season in the day the biggest being 42cm, but me biggest outside is only 43cm at the moment. There are some good size kahawi around as well which can add to the fun. Good on you for getting out there mxaone I should be more like you and get my butt out of the chair more often. Might do a evening one tonight but will be incoming with the tide being later. Sat out the clubhouse last night and thought on such a great evening way am i here and not fishing. Well at least I had a beer in hand and great views so not so bad.

Originally posted by mxaone mxaone wrote:

i dont normaly fish the outgoing either i perfer the incomming but when out a few days go we ran out of incoming tide so tried a few spots on the out going and hit pay dirt.i have been fishing both directions over the past week or so and have been landing more ish on the outgoing (dont ask me why as im no scientist but its been workingcheers
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 1:22pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

might do an after work fish next week off matakhana tuesday or wednesday, swell/wind permitting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 3:11pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

might do an after work fish next week off matakhana tuesday or wednesday, swell/wind permitting

Sounds cool hopefully be nice and carm out there and would work out a low tide fish. Not fished of there to many times, done a soft bait session and got 5 snaps and 1 john dorry early morning last summer
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mxaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 6:07pm
mxaone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi guys
went out again last night( friday). got on the water about 10ish. It was a bid harder going managed to get some fresh jackmacs at sulphur point shiping warf and set of to our spot about 1 hour in to the out going tide 11.30 ish
didnt need  alot to get a feed so set a limit of 40cm caught 4 nice fish around the 43-45 mark and released about 5 or 6 fish around 36-40cm fairly slow going compared to our last few trips, came in at 4am. Had some nice snapper for lunch to day and have a smoked snapper,chilli pastr for dinner tonight.
The biggest bounus was, Ive been out for 4 nights in a row now  from about 9 through to about 330-4ish and aint had jack sleep in that time right, so when my wife woke me at 12.30 today i got up to,
The boat was complettely cleaned inside and out all bins, rags, rods everthing was cleaned spotless, motor was run in the tank and flushed and the fish were all filleted and waste disposed off.
the brownie points gods must be on my side this week eh.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 9:32am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one mxaone wish my Mrs was like that, the only thing I would get is nagged . Didnt get out last night as the wind and rain got up so decided to give it a miss. Will let you know how it goes next time out and hopefully have a few snappers like you in the fishbin. All back to work on Monday for 1 week then start new job next.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ceebz88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2011 at 10:42am
ceebz88 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with some good harbour spots. Got a 13ft dingy with a 15hp and havent had much luck lately so would appreciate any hints and tips!cheers.

P.S if anyone is feeling generous can u please private message me some spots! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2011 at 8:28pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Main advice is go late evening and night, friends have said they have done well with snapper up to 42cm in 5 mtrs with plenty of barley. Might and try and get out saturday evening when i come back from Auckland if weather ok.
Plenty of kahawi to catch at the moment

Originally posted by ceebz88 ceebz88 wrote:

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can help me with some good harbour spots. Got a 13ft dingy with a 15hp and havent had much luck lately so would appreciate any hints and tips!cheers.P.S if anyone is feeling generous can u please private message me some spots! 
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 3:37am
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

ceebz88, will send you some info, but try it, not like the other muppets I have sent it to

It will and does work if you follow to the letter...............well most of the tiome anyway
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 9:38am
Brimel View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went out 4pm yesterday, been doing ok on snapper off Matakana in about 10-12 metres of water, SBs have been getting legal snapper, smelly bait undersize.

Plenty of little uns in arvo, (Back to SB shop today as they were chewed to bits!) all thrown back, then 8pm as sun getting lower had hot bite 3/4s hour. 10 snapper biggest 42 cms, 2 XOS Kawahai, one weighed 10lbs, 11 year old loved bring that in on softbait outfit, and a good 5lb Trevally, destined for smoker. Back at ramp at 9pm.

This was our 1st evening fish, have been going 1st thing in morning and doing ok, but bite dying by 10am each day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 5:48pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Brimel Brimel wrote:

Went out 4pm yesterday, been doing ok on snapper off Matakana in about 10-12 metres of water, SBs have been getting legal snapper, smelly bait undersize.

Plenty of little uns in arvo, (Back to SB shop today as they were chewed to bits!) all thrown back, then 8pm as sun getting lower had hot bite 3/4s hour. 10 snapper biggest 42 cms, 2 XOS Kawahai, one weighed 10lbs, 11 year old loved bring that in on softbait outfit, and a good 5lb Trevally, destined for smoker. Back at ramp at 9pm.

This was our 1st evening fish, have been going 1st thing in morning and doing ok, but bite dying by 10am each day.

Thats good fishing brimel going to try and get out saturday evening as well, not sure where. Will let you know if fish play ball
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mxaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:38pm
mxaone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

thinking a bout doing the judea tavern comp this saturday looks like it may be a bit of fun based on lenth not weight 1st plc going to the team with the longest overall from 10 snapper ie 10 x 42cm snapper = 4.2 meters looks like good prizes, entry and prize giving at judea tavern,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 8:44pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by mxaone mxaone wrote:

thinking a bout doing the judea tavern comp this saturday looks like it may be a bit of fun based on lenth not weight 1st plc going to the team with the longest overall from 10 snapper ie 10 x 42cm snapper = 4.2 meters looks like good prizes, entry and prize giving at judea tavern,

Sounds good what time it from and to, shame im in Hamilton in the morning will not be back till about 2 otherwise might have given it ago
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote friertuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 7:01am
friertuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Not been doing very well myself, when you say off Matakana where you inside or outside harbour? and  near entrance or further up. The fish drought has to stop for me soon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brimel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 10:43am
Brimel View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Outside of harbour and no further north than Karewa Island.

Been drifting only have not anchored at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 11:50am
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The funny thing with Tauranga is the fish are still there, we anchored up on 3mile and didn't catch a damn thing.  Bro dived it couple days after and shot 15 TK and a JD with a handspear on one dive.  The fish are there, the bites times are just so small and weather dependant the fishing is near on impossible to get right some days...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 12:17pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heading out after work tonight, either of matakhana or out by A bouy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 5:49pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

heading out after work tonight, either of matakhana or out by A bouy

Good luck strx7 let us know how you get on
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 9:04pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

15 knot northerly blowing straight thru the entrance against the out going tide it looked like a washing machine so didn't go near it, launch about 5:40, shot up of rangiwea, nailed 5 ky in qucik succesion on secret lures, drifted a couple of times on the top side of matakhana wharf, nothing happened, looked wet up the harbour further, so called it quits, back at the ramp 7:30.  healthy sized swell forecast for the weekend so i dont think i'll be doing any fishing this weekend.
Page  <12345 413>