tauranga fishing

Page  <1 295296297298299 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 12:10pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Hunter, Ive got the 430 with a 40hp and i go from sulphur point. Bit furhter than pilot bay but im normally solo so the pontoons are easier and the parkings better. As long as its not really low i just got straight across the sand bank and out. I fish anywhere from bowentown to motiti and been out as far as 50mtrs. The swell is easily read on swellmap and the likes, I find that if the wind gets up more than predicted and offshore the chop is way worse in these little boats. Can get short and high quite quickly so watch that. You still want a drogue most days for drifting here.

find this site good http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/cargo-and-shipping/harbour-conditions/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 1:14pm
Surf_fisher View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by 14footFC 14footFC wrote:

Hey Hunter, Ive got the 430 with a 40hp and i go from sulphur point. Bit furhter than pilot bay but im normally solo so the pontoons are easier and the parkings better. As long as its not really low i just got straight across the sand bank and out. I fish anywhere from bowentown to motiti and been out as far as 50mtrs. The swell is easily read on swellmap and the likes, I find that if the wind gets up more than predicted and offshore the chop is way worse in these little boats. Can get short and high quite quickly so watch that. You still want a drogue most days for drifting here.

find this site good http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/cargo-and-shipping/harbour-conditions/

Thanks for that mate appreciated, not looking at getting too close to motiti at the moment was looking at just a k or two off the beaches  I have experienced that short and high chop inside kawhia harbour got close to 2 meters with white caps on easter sunday while i was fishing at Te Maika and it started off at around 0.5 of a meter and gently rolling when we first anchored up even charter boats were turning around and coming straight back in after getting over the bar so when I heard that on the VHF I also knew it was time to up anchor and bail out into calmer areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 10:35am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They are good little boats though! really easy to handle and good platform to fish from. Go a long way on a tote tank too!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 3:36pm
Gold
Gold

They are good little boats though! really easy to handle and good platform to fish from. Go a long way on a tote tank too!!

You are dead right about that I still have just over 1/4 of the engines very first tank left only been using 1/4 of a tank per trip at Kawhia and that includes trolling and tiki touring on the harbour so quite stoked on how stable the boat is and with how economical the 30 horse merc has been so far I kind of expected a tank to last me no more than 2 sessions on kawhia harbour, how much gas is your 40 horse using per trip out to places like motiti is your engine a mercury as well. Pretty keen to get over there some time for a fish as I am also hanging for a feed of fresh terakihi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Just Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 4:43pm
Just Chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey hunter708, I fish Kawhia harbour very regurly as well.

The harbour has been fishing well with a massive trevally a fat Kahawai and 4 good snapper on the shallows in 2 meters. Been very rough over waihibeach/Bowentown but the boats that can get out are getting good catches.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:29pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah its a 40hp merc with electric start/ tilt and oil injection, they are a bit noisy compaired to a 4 stroke but it goes well. Will cruise happy at 20 knots, only does another 5 or 6 flat out. I went out saturday, left sulphur point and went down to papamoa beach and moved a few times, went over to motiti and tried a few spots then went back to pap beach and back to sulphur point so would have to be about 55/60 kms?? still on the same tote, not much left in it though! Thats the biggest haul ive done so far. They are very stable though, feel safe as
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 8:00am
Gold
Gold

Yeah its a 40hp merc with electric start/ tilt and oil injection, they are a bit noisy compaired to a 4 stroke but it goes well. Will cruise happy at 20 knots, only does another 5 or 6 flat out. I went out saturday, left sulphur point and went down to papamoa beach and moved a few times, went over to motiti and tried a few spots then went back to pap beach and back to sulphur point so would have to be about 55/60 kms?? still on the same tote, not much left in it though! Thats the biggest haul ive done so far. They are very stable though, feel safe as

Thanks for that mate the stability is the key reason I went for a FC anyway as I hate it when you get on a boat and you stand up and it feels like it wants to tip you out when you move to one side ramco rangers are good for that, my boat also happily cruises along at 20knots when conditions allow. Maybe we should meet up at the ramp one day and head out in tandem
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Just Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 4:18pm
Just Chips View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A lot of boats out today. Good to see people enjoying it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Surf_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 5:38pm
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Just Chips Just Chips wrote:

A lot of boats out today. Good to see people enjoying it

Lucky buggers lol can't wait for this flu bug to bugger off so i can get back out fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:48am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey all question for those who have experience with Hapuku at the mayor knolls-
When targeting them would I be better to drop the baits on top or off the sides of the pins? Or should i be looking for them at the bottom of depressions?
While I do pretty well for bluenose I've only managed one tasty morsel of hapuku.
Cheers all
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DAZA 2+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 5:51pm
DAZA 2+1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice fish down Matakana this morning, end up with a mixed bag of snapper, trevs and ky. Carby problems (stuck float) so limped home but all in all a great day :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Frewza 16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:00pm
Frewza 16 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fishing was great out from Papamoa this morning 9 nice Snaps and Kahwai everywhere so grabbed a couple . Perfect glassy conditions
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:43pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If anybody wants Skippies there are quite a few at Pudney, I got 26 there today, all small about 1 kg. The main colour they were taking was blue/white plus I got a few on black/purple. they wouldn't touch yellow/green or light pink/white. Also the lures needed to be well back, they didn't hit the bungies much. They were on the bite first thing this morning until about 9am then they went off with only the occasional strike until 1.30 when they came back on the bite. I got all of them bar one within 1 km of Pudney with most caught on the outside of Pudnay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:00pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi everyone, back again on the forum, hoping to contribute with a report when I can. Old forum name was Cashedup, and after a change of email accounts at home couldn't get the site to recognise my password, so have been lurking here for a while and finally sorted it by just creating a new profile. I fish out of Bowentown, and go anywhere from harbour to Mayor.
Also headed out yesterday after skippys. Found them around Mayor in the Lassitors area at about 70mtrs. Like Marligator found they were all quite small, but managed to get a good number on purple and pink/white lures.
We then headed back in to about 30mtrs to try for a snapper for dinner. Deployed the anchor and baits and found we were battling strong current against breeze which had the lines going all over the place, but still ended up with a decent feed of good size snaps in a little under an hour, before calling it quits for the day.
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable day on the water with my two kids. Can't beat it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:15pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out from 9:30 till 12:30 along matakana, lots of work ups!! Picked up a good feed on micro jigs and softbaits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 8:48am
gapster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice catch mate. What depth were they taking at? Trying to get out soon but will have to wait until bad weather disappears
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote calcal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 9:37am
calcal View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone had any luck with Puka or Kingies around mayor recently? 
Looking to head out early next week and having a crack!

Which Bays around Mayor do people recommend for overnight trips? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:22pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They were all in 15/20 mtrs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 10:53am
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just like 14footFC said, the snappers are hanging around in numbers... got our limit again (for the second time) by Papamoa in 15 to 20 meters yesterday.

I've been feeling pretty good about my fishing lately. The last 3 trips produced good fish.

My neighbour, an old fella next door, is also doing alright by the entrance (he always comes over for a yarn after he goes out).

For the guys over the Kaimai, now is time to cruise over the hill for a fish!!! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aramoana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:08pm
Aramoana View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Care to give me some pointers as to how to do it? How do you go about locating them or do you have a spot that constantly produces? How does your neighbour catch them at the entrance?
Viking Predator Profish 26/11/16
Haines Hunter SF535
Page  <1 295296297298299 413>