tauranga fishing

Page  <1234 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:34am
Grim Reefer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

found it a bit slow yesterday out around motiti so think ill take the advice aswell and head out to the further regions this next tripBig smile!  a bad days fishing beats a good day at work!  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 9:40am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

have to agree with you there anythings better than being at work, being out there in the piecefull and carm is A+. Just nice if you can bring a feed home as well to please the mrs
Originally posted by timboes timboes wrote:

found it a bit slow yesterday out around motiti so think ill take the advice aswell and head out to the further regions this next tripBig smile!  a bad days fishing beats a good day at work!  
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hamish_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:56am
Hamish_S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I went out by my self for a lowkey softbait down towards karewa the other morning, fishing by 7m, 8 fish, all snaps on board by just befor 9, tryed for 30 mins with no touches for the last fish, then pulled the pin!

Home, boat cleaned, fish filleted by just after 10, not a bad morning!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 12:46pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats good Hamish just getting into soft baiting nice time of the day and back at the ramp so early. Not tried around karewa as yet but may give it a go as not to far out. What size snaps did you get.

Originally posted by Hamish_S Hamish_S wrote:

I went out by my self for a lowkey softbait down towards karewa the other morning, fishing by 7m, 8 fish, all snaps on board by just befor 9, tryed for 30 mins with no touches for the last fish, then pulled the pin!

Home, boat cleaned, fish filleted by just after 10, not a bad morning!!!!
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 3:20pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heading up the harbour tonight, burley, shallows, incoming tide, evening bite time. as long as the rain holds away.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 6:05pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Best of luck, let us know how you get on. Will have to do a night or late evening fish soon, tides should be good for tonight.
Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

heading up the harbour tonight, burley, shallows, incoming tide, evening bite time. as long as the rain holds away.....
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 6:11pm
Silver
Silver

best of luck tonight bro, thinkin bout a solo o/nighter out at motiti next week when winds are right (mon/tues)if thats not an option will be hitting the harbour instead.First o/nighter in the bay so should be a pearla!
No Handbrake anymore so can go fishing weneva i feel the urge LOLThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:29pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

launched at 5:30, parked by the 1st marker you come to at the very end of the otumoetai channel out from fergusson park........ sat there for 50 mins for..........1 small eagle ray.  continued up harbour further, kahawai and terns crashing whitebait off the end of rangiwea, nailed 6 or 7, continued up towards te puna, into 5ft of water just off the te puna channel, burley over, out goes a pillie, enquiry straight away but didn't hook up.  had a couple more enquiries, went to check 1 of my rods, hello, we're hooked up.....  its 8:50. it would appear i'm hooked up to an express train. 7kg of drag is making alot more impression on me than the thing attached to the other end. after well over 100 metres of line had disappeared i made the descision to clear all the other rods, pull the anchor and follow the express train.  Some 20+ mins later the flying carpet at the other end called it quits and burried itsself into the te puna seabed.  I saw it at a distance.  and called it for a stingray not an eagle ray and probably 5ft across.  No matter how much pressure I applied i couldn't get the bugger to budge, and out boat hook was fractionally too short to reach the hua to give it an encouragement prod. in the end i locked the spool by hand and attempted to bust something, in the end my 40lb leader parted at the loop.  something to be said about offshore 6-10kg soft bait rod, shimano sonara 4000 reel and 14lb fireline.  I'd happily taken on anything within reason on that set up if there was nothing for it to bust me off on.  there was a few boats out and about up that way, didn't see anyone catching anything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 11:56pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well at least you had a entertaining night out fishing. better than watching the crap thats on tv . better luck next time at least you where out there doing it, good on you. If you ever need a fisho to help you out just give us a shout and I will give some more advise none of which will help
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grim Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 9:11am
Silver
Silver

agreed with andy, much better than a night on the lounge haha, things can only get better on tha fishing front, and the ramps are slowly emptying out again !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 10:29am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have been very busy on the ramps timboes but must say everyone has been good and quick loading and unloading. Should have gone out this morning looking at the winds but better do the rubbish for her indoors
Might slip out in the morning tomorrow will check wind forcast tonight. Another few weeks and the harbour should be much better if not to much lettice weed around.
Originally posted by timboes timboes wrote:

agreed with andy, much better than a night on the lounge haha, things can only get better on tha fishing front, and the ramps are slowly emptying out again !
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bumkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:09am
bumkin View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi strx Im in Omokoroa plauged with rays Clip a heavy sinker on your line drop it down  usually gets them off the bottom I hate/kill them Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:43am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bumkin bumkin wrote:

Hi strx Im in Omokoroa plauged with rays Clip a heavy sinker on your line drop it down  usually gets them off the bottom I hate/kill them Cheers

I thought of that, or dropping the berley pot on it - both of which came to mind last night after I got home.  I seriously doubt i could have raised the sucker despite being in 5ft of water, i'd have guessed ut would have been 40-50kg or so.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:53am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi guys new to the forum was down at Tauranga over new years went out with my old man in the harbour softbaiting up and down by the Wharves we managed 10 snapper biggest 45cm all caught on nuclear chickens as the tide started running out. Also of note I caught a small blue cod by Matakana island as well which had a kingi following it.
Alll the fish were full of roe or milt so I believe the softbaits are working better than regular bait at the moment  as the fish really aren't hungry and are grabbing at the softies out of anger more than hunger.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 11:56am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a big one I have been lucky and not hooked into any for over a year but not to much else as well
Had a few nice Karwihi a few days ago biggest being about 8lb that went well, just of Omakaroa
Originally posted by strx7 strx7 wrote:

I thought of that, or dropping the berley pot on it - both of which came to mind last night after I got home.  I seriously doubt i could have raised the sucker despite being in 5ft of water, i'd have guessed ut would have been 40-50kg or so.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Why?
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 12:42pm
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The old man does alright in the summer and autumn on softies in the harbour we also picked up a trevally of around 6 lb as well it was good fun as I had 2 of my boys with me 11yrs and 8 yrs they were just dragging softies out the back of the boat and were catching them too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 1:24pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by PJay PJay wrote:

Why?

I hope you love eating them then bumkin.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 2:54pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i have no issue letting them go alive,, it means more for the orca's to eat next time. i just like to see how big they are up close. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mxaone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2011 at 3:03pm
mxaone View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

And again the debate with tauranga fishing starts.
3 points. TIME, TIDE, PLACE.
held off the boat fishing untill boxing day done a few land based missions up the coast and coro during december with mixed results, most sucsess was at houmanga bay fishing from low to high during early morning,
Boxing day i followed all others mistakes, out to motiti early and caught naff all, in to papamoa then kaituna, omanu, tay street and NAFF ALL,
Finaly decided to listen to the wife and went to her fav spot down matakana and guess what,

3pm sunny as, 6 nice panies,

havent botherd going out side since THEN.  70 liters of fuel and wife having bragging rights all for 6 fish ,(no thanks)

The harbour on the other hand has been going off, have had five trips since boxing day and have got our limit most times. most of our trips are from about 9-10pm through to daylight,

My tips for the harbour at the mo are
1. NIGHT TIME!!!!
2. OUT GOING TIDE DURING DARKNESS
3. TUATUAS and  fresh jack mac has been the baits of choice.
4. LONG TRACES(1.5-2 mtrs) OF 20 LB AND LIGHT BRAID main line ( i run 3 kg) and a 1 ounce sinker running on the main line.
5. Try the area around the small sail/triange marker in the centre bank area, the weed isnt to bad around there either
The fish arnt really feeding hard so feel for the mouthing and hit them.
The best sofar was a 6 lber not huge but dam fine eating.
Page  <1234 413>