tauranga fishing

Page  <1 310311312313314 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lizid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:27am
lizid View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So much for it being a Solunar "3 fish" day!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gapster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:46am
gapster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Up early this morning before the rain. Out from omokoroa up on flats off channel. Softbaiting on anchor with light gear. Had some fun with small KY. Rain came in and was too heavy to continue. Gentleman came in just before us and said he'd had a good day yesterday off Motuhora with 5 good snapper. Much different to last years fishing at this time!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:37am
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

While I browse all the different bitetime calanders, I don't put much faith in any of them. Best time to go fishing for me is when I feel like it and when weather plays ball. So yesterday was a perfect day despite fish not exactly playing ball!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rolybagz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 12:46pm
rolybagz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

UPDATE : The Hirepool Trailer Boat Tournament this weekend is ON!!!  After careful deliberation around the forecasted weather we see a good opportunity to run this event still on Saturday and Sunday.  However fishing will not be continuous from Friday evening and start from 6am on Saturday.  There may yet be a harbour restriction to fishing on Saturday 6th if sea conditions are deemed unsafe for trailer boats. This will be advised at briefing. On the upside there has been great fishing for Kingfish, Snapper, Trevally and even John Dory in the harbour…all have great prizes!  Sunday at this stage we anticipate boats should be able to enjoy fishing anywhere inside of Chart 54.  ALL ENTRIES DUE IN BY 6pm FRIDAY

https://www.tsfc.co.nz/event/hirepool-trailer-boat-tournament/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote badger99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 9:01pm
badger99 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Waihime Waihime wrote:

Originally posted by lizid lizid wrote:

While I browse all the different bitetime calanders, I don't put much faith in any of them. Best time to go fishing for me is when I feel like it and when weather plays ball. So yesterday was a perfect day despite fish not exactly playing ball!

didnt end up going on my maiden night harbour fish last nite, thought it would rain all night. slighty annoyed with myself haha
but though im not that an experianced fishermen i find the "minor" bite time on here had always got me a feed. which annoys me coz its not always when i can fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rolybagz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 2:31pm
rolybagz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sorry guys, weather is just too rubbish! See you next weekend!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 9:36pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Trip to the Mayor today. Picked a few teras, a ruby fish which was really tasty and a first for me was one of those deep sea gurnard. Extremely pretty fish, but man, have they got some mean looking spikes on them!
Tried a drift or two for some blunose but nothing happening.
Conditions out there were fantastic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:45pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Shot out early along pap beach, was nice and calm but water still merky as so found the lures needed a bit more action. Got my limit of good size fats snaps by 9:30 so all good. Had heard of skippies in close but didnt see any, did spot flying fish and kings though. Did hook a rat that was fun on the lightest set in the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waihime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 6:54pm
Waihime View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

35mtr mark straight off Bowentown did it for us today. Loaded up on our limit of good sized snaps in 3hrs.
Would have liked to go and chase skippies with how the weather was, but geriatric crew member was puffed out and happy to go back home for a nap!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 7:16pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

finally got out yesterday and tried in the habour probably 4 or 5 different spots all for a decent trev shot out past the mount (first time and a bit hesitant)and got a decent feed of good snappers 

i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JasonEdward62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 12:22am
JasonEdward62 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice work Cosmo.

Originally posted by cosmo cosmo wrote:

finally got out yesterday and tried in the habour probably 4 or 5 different spots all for a decent trev shot out past the mount (first time and a bit hesitant)and got a decent feed of good snappers 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote try harder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
try harder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Claphad a cracker morning Tga harbour limit snaps 2 of us [14] 35cm-45cm less than 3 hours fishing would not have used 2 litres fuel from pilot bay rampThumbs Up
cutta2
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 5:08pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Try Harder and good news that the snaps have moved into the harbor in numbers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 4:28pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a day out with my Grandson today.  With the forecast I didn't think it would be too bad have to say it was far from pleasant.  Headed out toward Pudney at displacement speed and put a couple of skippy lures out 6 km from the mark. Got a dozen then tried to have a bottom fish.  Seasick kid so headed back in towing the lures.  He appeared to be getting a bit bored catching skippies on light game rods so I put the lures on a couple of rods with Torium 16s.  He had a ball and we ended up with 22.  We were getting them 9km in from Pudney and they stopped when the blue water stopped.  Nothing to eat but a bloody great day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 5:42pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey Coutta, never tried to catch them before. what were you dragging and how fast? would need to be a good day for me as not a fan of being caught out wide in mine. Are they no good to eat even if you bleed them? Mind you I bleed everything I keep, makes a hell of a difference to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 6:35pm
dilbert View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Skippies are eaten in most of the rest of the world. If you have had tuna in Fiji it was probably skipjack... If you eat canned tuna it is almost always Skippy so why not in NZ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote adammac-hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:36pm
adammac-hill View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Because they've got a stigma here of being only good for bait. Skippys fine to eat. I personally prefer kahawai or anything over snapper to be honest, but everyone's got a different opinion of what's good and what's crap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 9:31am
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

we eat sushi skips all the time fresh skippy is good 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 10:39am
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm not a fish snob and pretty much agree with adammac. There's a lot of great eating fish around that people turn their noses up at. A friend of mine looked at me sideways and sniffed my tobacco to see what I was smoking when I said Scorpion Fish (granddaddy hapuku) are right up there.
As far as catching skippies 14ftFC, drag a little feather or plastic lure.  At the moment in the BOP you don't have to go far and they're not schooling so the seiners aren't dealing to them yet.  Pink or red/white are working for me at the moment.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2018 at 9:58pm
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Having been getting limits in the Harbour the last three days, keeping all over 35, going to get down to motiti to see if there’s any large snaps that will take softbaits later in the week, maybe a dive.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Page  <1 310311312313314 413>