tauranga fishing

Page  <1 296297298299300 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:44pm
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Aramoana Aramoana wrote:

Care to give me some pointers as to how to do it? How do you go about locating them or do you have a spot that constantly produces? How does your neighbour catch them at the entrance?

Well, I go to the area I want to fish and in this case, end of Papamoa was my spot. Got there (anywhere around 15 meters) and started idling around very slowly watching your sounder. Once you see baitfish ball or little red arches with green edges, you found the snapper (that's me reading my Lowrance chirp) so that's a good place to start.

Usually I drop a ledger rig to get to the bottom quick to see if I get any bites, if you do, anchor up, berley and you should fill your bin very quick.

I am sure the same works by Matakana Is anywhere from 7 to 20 meters.

Keep in mind that this approach only works this time of the year (well, at least for me) because I've done the same before and came back home with nothing.

I also learnt from kitno (Craig) from here that the harbour works too but it's on after dark usually.

Exact locations are hopeless as the fish will be always moving so the chances of "same place, same catch" are very slim.

Another thing to keep in mind is the fact I am a beginner too hahaha but I have put a lot of hours and am only getting better and better the more time I spend out there.

Happy to yarn, drink beers and teach you the little I know!

Cheers,
FK
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FredKaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 5:48pm
FredKaiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I will take some notes next time the old fella stop over for a yarn... I don't usually stop at the places he catches his fish. Don't ask me why.

Another thing to note is the bait... Pillies and Bonito are my favourite. I reckon I only catch weird fish on squid over these ways.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kindred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 6:09pm
kindred View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For those after skippies, found them in 38m behind Karewa - they were all the way out to around 50m - heading towards Mayor, Lassiters way - this years small models - filled the bin - 17C water - blue and white and red and white the lures used
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 10:08am
Fizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just a heads up- if any one here is looking at the forecast for monday arvo/tuesday as a possible swordy drop mission- im available and keen as a deckie/human shield. 
Glenn
Boat Name- Solace
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:50pm
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

shot out again yesterday, very cold!! Plenty of fish still about. Heaps of mackeral schools and what looked like whitebait schools also. Went along to papamoa in the shallows then shot over to Motiti, wind picked up and I was stuck out there till the tide turned. My boats a bit little for those wind waves!! Picked up a bin full of snappers, a good size trev and a blue cod. Biggest snap went 56cm. Quite a few seals about too as the water cools off.

Hey has anyone else noticed the extra fat layer under the skin on the snappers? Leaving fat all over my knife. This is my first full year with access to the boat and ive been getting plenty since about october so intersting to see the difference in condition and also the differnce in their hunting habits with jigs etc been working better than the softies.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 7:04pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went out today, the weather was fantastic and the fishing even better...
No need to measure any fish, all big good size snapper....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 8:52pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Anyone looking for skippies, plenty of coke bottle sizes down by Karewa Is.
They were in as close as 18 mtrs but more concentrated at 23 mtrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:06pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey Uncle - crazy that the skippies are around and in so close! makes up for them being so absent over summer! Hope you're well too Bill - must catch up one of these days...  
14foot - yeah the snaps are well conditioned at the moment and taste a treat. Wait until the Christmas time and wipe your finger along the blade - won't be in such good nick then...

Ducked out yesterday for a quick run through the cut, kahawai schools all over the place in along the beach toward town point, and a few snaps hiding in amongst them too Big smile Kids were happy!

Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 9:15pm
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice bag 14Foot!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:52am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for that Uncle, did you bag a few? What was working? might have to go grab a couple of your lures and pop out thursday. New moon but still could be worth a crack, so much bait fish about!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:20am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

No Dan, I was too busy catching snapper LOL

Believe it or not, I didn't have my arsenal of skippy lures on the boat so just had to watch the buggars plopping about, all around me.

Yeah, would be good to catch up Speedy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 14footFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 10:04am
14footFC View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There are plenty out there!! What's working for you? I got a couple and the trev on new penny 5'' but wasn't getting touched on other colours. Finding small orange and yellow metal slow jigs hard to beat at present. I make some hand tied lures too and have been getting some good ones dragging them behind the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sixstars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:41pm
sixstars View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Popped out yesterday down to Papamoa plenty of snapper on the softbaits in 25m. Then picked up a bin full of skippies for the freezer about a mile or so straight off the mount. Tried all sorts of colour options, in the end blue and white feathers and a yellow pink and green one I bought from uncle many years ago hooked them. Also caught my first gurnard in 4 years, used to see them regularly when I set a long line but they have been absent from my bin until yesterday. Mint day but a cold start.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:48pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I went ofr a skippy hunt today, trolled from 25m between Karewa and Bowentown out to 60m got 6 in 55m over a 5 minute period and that was it for the day, only saw one small patch of skippies on the surface. Found a big school of snapper in 45m, got 7 in quick time all just standard pannies, there were quite a few small kingies there as well.

Did anybody else get onto the skippies today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 9:27pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Couldn't help myself, went out again today, the snapper fishing is pretty good, heaps of big fish..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote noponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:16am
noponies View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone taken time out from the outside and fished the harbour recently? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CTAMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:44am
CTAMarine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,

fishing looks like its awesome at the moment. Wish I was out doing that instead of away working. 

Was wondering if anyone on here owns the following boat?

or http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1331157656, copy and paste into your browser.

I like it, it has a good fishfinder, good lights for night fishing. Small so I can fish solo, or take my  kids out. 

I guess what i want to know is 30hp yammy enough on a v13 sea nymph. 

I would probably only go outside during reasonable weather. 

Currently using a 3.3m inflatable, with a 15hp yamabasi lol

I will fish in that comfortable in 0-50m. After 50m I get a bit stressed about the tax man size.  

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CTAMarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:00am
CTAMarine View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Also just as an FYI for everyone, I have worked as a composite boatbuilder. So I know my composites. 

If anyone one has questions or wants to pay me to do some work on there boat I'm available. Happy to come and meet you so we can talk etc. 

And if not all good as well 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:57am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by CTAMarine CTAMarine wrote:

Hi all,

fishing looks like its awesome at the moment. Wish I was out doing that instead of away working. 

Was wondering if anyone on here owns the following boat?

or http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1331157656, copy and paste into your browser.

I like it, it has a good fishfinder, good lights for night fishing. Small so I can fish solo, or take my  kids out. 

I guess what i want to know is 30hp yammy enough on a v13 sea nymph. 

I would probably only go outside during reasonable weather. 

Currently using a 3.3m inflatable, with a 15hp yamabasi lol

I will fish in that comfortable in 0-50m. After 50m I get a bit stressed about the tax man size.  

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Looks great for the price. It certainly isn't overpowered but I think it would be ok given the size limitations of the boat. Just guessing though! I'll move this to the Boat Shed Forum where it will more than likely get noticed.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote piwikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:09pm
piwikiwi View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by sixstars sixstars wrote:

Popped out yesterday down to Papamoa plenty of snapper on the softbaits in 25m. Then picked up a bin full of skippies for the freezer about a mile or so straight off the mount. Tried all sorts of colour options, in the end blue and white feathers and a yellow pink and green one I bought from uncle many years ago hooked them. Also caught my first gurnard in 4 years, used to see them regularly when I set a long line but they have been absent from my bin until yesterday. Mint day but a cold start.

Are any of you guys regularly getting Gurnard at Papamoa ? I catch bugger all these days in the yak using softies. I know bait and flashers work better but i have a feeling gurnard numbers are not good at Papamoa ?
Page  <1 296297298299300 413>