tauranga fishing

Page  <1 246247248249250 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Baked Fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 3:14pm
Baked Fish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Walu, 
be sure to have a gander at A-bouy before you head out. That way you know what the wind and swell are acutally doing.

http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/Environment/Harbour-Conditions/
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2015 at 4:30pm
EarlyRiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good fun out there today! Shot out along Matakana. Drifted from 5-18m (dam windy out past that).Couple of snaps on sliders then home in time to pick up the kids from school. Great ride back through the chop, still grinning!
Go the BlackdogCat

PS. seems to be alot of snakes around (even under15m), upgrade those assist cords.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2015 at 1:48pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good on you Joel. I heard you had your new dream boat! I'm going to try the harbour early tomorrow due to the strong winds and swell forecast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2015 at 12:51pm
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I guess the crap weather has put a dampener on reports, so here is one from a mediocre harbour trip on Friday.
Result: 3 Kahawai on lures/softbaits (workups in the channel off Rangiwaea Is), nothing on baits except good catches of sea lettuce at all spots we stopped at (fished  2nd half of outgoing tide off Te Puna inlet - with heaps of burley, then off Rangiwaea Is, the change of tide at the hole off Hunters Creek and some of the incoming at the Southwestern end of Mutuhoa Is)! The only strike we had appeared to be a freight train (suspect stingray or shark) as line kept peeling off while the drag was over-tightened until the inevitable 'ping'/breakage. The visitors enjoyed it, which was the main thing. The wind was blowing well over 15 knots by the time we headed back in.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EarlyRiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 9:50pm
EarlyRiser View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Short trip Monday.. Shot out to around the 40m mark and drifted a couple of lucky spots. Kaveman micro jigs worked a treat with some solid snaps taking them on the drop well off the bottom.
Schools of rats for a work out on the micro gear and thankfully no snakes to mention this time round.
Wind up by early arvo so pulled the pin and had a great ride back in, starting to feel fairly confident now in what the cat can handle.
"FELIX" Kingfisher Cat 5.1cc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stunned Mullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2015 at 11:15pm
Stunned Mullet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My first snapper up the harbour for this season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:41am
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Solid effort up the harbour, Glad to see they are moving in. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 9:30am
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yes  nice snaps ,  yesturday i did a bit of paddling cant say  i really tryed very hard to catch a snap as just  took the kayak and  soft bait , it was more of  a paddling  trip than fishing  water was warm but not hot  i did see some schools of kahawai of small fish when the tide turned  water  was  very dirty around mangatapu

lots of  weed all over the banks  and not  one wader or godwit to be seen 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 10:30am
Big horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fished the harbour on JetSki this morning by omokoroa just before full tide not a fish. Was told to burley and bait, anyone been soft baiting in the harbour ? Looking for ideas will try again tomorrow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:15am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big horse Big horse wrote:

Fished the harbour on JetSki this morning by omokoroa just before full tide not a fish. Was told to burley and bait, anyone been soft baiting in the harbour ? Looking for ideas will try again tomorrow
Try the shallows on the incoming, and the feeder channels on the outgoing. Stick to the bait n berly until you locate them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:31am
Big horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for that, I hope I can post some photos of fish tomorrow haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stunned Mullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:57am
Stunned Mullet View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys,
We fished Long traces 50+ mtrs & blue mackerel baits on incoming tide in strong current on edge of shallow banks. Got only massive kahawai b4 sunset, but as soon as the sun went behind the kaimai range the snapper were into the baits till the current went slack.
Another tip...we started with heavy sinkers that we clip onto the line once heaps of line out, and reduce the sinker weights as current slowed. Ended catching last couple straying into virtually no current.
Fish not massive 32-39cm but very happy for first feed in the harbour.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 2:03pm
tigurello 90 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

any kings in the harbour yet thinking about heading over tomorrow in the yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jonocoogee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 4:20pm
jonocoogee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

heard of a few kingies around kauri pt wharf at the moment. 
TAS - Its a real disease
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grimski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 4:50pm
Grimski View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Picked up half a dozen good size trevs in the harbour on tuesday. No snapper found but had a good load of trev fillets for the smoker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 6:43pm
Silver
Silver

sounds good is matakana wharf producing?. Is the channel dangerous to cross on a kayak?. iv been warned a few times about the current that rips through tomorrow will be the first attempt that I have tried launching into the harbour so any info will be appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Daniel K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:08pm
Daniel K View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by tigurello 90 tigurello 90 wrote:

sounds good is matakana wharf producing?. Is the channel dangerous to cross on a kayak?. iv been warned a few times about the current that rips through tomorrow will be the first attempt that I have tried launching into the harbour so any info will be appreciated

Never been there on a yak but I yeah, that current is real fast. 
Don't know if it'd be dangerous though. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tigurello 90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:34pm
Silver
Silver

yeah launched into the papakura channel once the current was so strong there if you got into the main channel current you couldn't paddle against it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 7:42pm
Big horse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My sons coming down to stay and I want to take home spearing for founder I live in matua and tried ferguson park at high tide in the dark but nothing, any ideas guys?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 8:56pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Big horse don't feel despondent about not getting anything up Omokoroa way as I fished there this arvo for not even a bite, came back down towards entrance for start of incoming tide and got 1 very nice snapper about 2.7kg and then current got strong and the lettuce started moving and that was the end of that.
Page  <1 246247248249250 413>