tauranga fishing

Page  123 413>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tauranga fishing
    Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:25pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got up nice and early for a fish this morning. Rods in water by 6.15am and no fish biting, moved around to several spots but just a couble of small fry. Friend who went out never had a bite so back at ramp by 10.30 with plenty others heading out. Anyone else have a hard day out of tauranga. We were targeting tarakihi and snapper but no takers this time. tried 3mile and 5mile and of papamoea but just wasted fuel.
It was good just to be out and see plenty boats moving around so maybe one of those days.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Rockyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:39pm
Rockyw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Yes I generally have a hard time catching fish in the Bay of Empty ( Tauranga ).
Too much commercial pressure on the fishery I think.  Last time I was out, in early December, I visited several spots during a day and half of fishing, and used berley, soft plastics, bait and slow jigs, and I only got two barracuda, two john Dory, one terakihi, and 8 legal blue cod over the 30 cm mark, and a couple of kahawai. I got no legal snapper, but caught lots of undersize models, and only got the John Dory because they ate the small blue cods caught on the line.  It seems there is a a lot of small blue cod at most popular spots in the Tauranga area, so when they all get bigger it might be worthwhile fishing for them. When I pulled up the pick to head back from Steeles reef, on the morning of the second day, there was a gill netter pulling up about a mile of net just outside the reef, and then he proceeded to pick up another gill net a bit further out.  At the same time, there were 3 purse seiners all working between Mayor & Karewa.  When I returned to the Bridge marina, MAF were doing a recreational catch survey, and when I bemoaned how hard it usually is in Tauranga, he told me not to feel bad, as most other recreational fishers were struggling, and even the charter boats were only getting single digit catches for a days fishing.

That is why I am planning to tow my boat North for my next outing, even though Tauranga is a lot closer, it has been a waste of fuel for the last 5 trips.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote six guns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:57pm
six guns View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I think its just geting to know the place. shot out with my boys age 3 and 5 got 6 snaps 11 terrs in two hours. try make a plan and execute it
skull draging and taging
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mackem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:59pm
mackem View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Tauranga in December is always hard fishing I find , to many people trying to catch to fewer fish , I don't bother trying through the silly season , wait until they have all gone home , the fishing usually improves towards end of Jan and really fires in Feb and March , save your petrol and soft baits and go and slay em in about a month ' I hope' Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:04am
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

tauranga from september to christmas is always hard going. 3 mates went out on boxing day, got a blue cod, gurnard, dozen snapper, 30 terakihi and a frostfish - in 28 metres of water.

change of light in the shallows up the harbour is always worth a go for a feed of snapper from november to april. or kings around struture with high tide at change of light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote friertuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 8:23am
friertuck View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A couple of us went out to TePuna channel in the harbour Boxing day evening (Sunday) It was change of light 2 hours before incoming high tide and a sh*t load of burley, caught 1 small snap and 1 small eel. Fishing here is a lottery. Even 5 -- 6 years ago it was much better what's the next 5 going to be like.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:13am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We have not had to much trouble coming home with a feed during December, but we have been fishing the outer reefs (tokoroa shoals, plate, schooner, astrolabe). Plenty snapper, kingis, trevs and kahawai in amongst the schooling kahawai.

If you are keen on a feed and the weather conditions are conducive I would suggest travelling a little further offshore.  That said we also picked up some nice 40-50 cm pannies around rabbit a couple of weeks ago.

All the fishing has been done using softbaits (darker coloured baits) or jigs.

Wednesday, Thursday & Friday are looking good so there should be no reason for some good fishing reports.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:20pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Must say it was not to bad at the boat ramp and everyone being good and sensible so far. The fishing does seem to be hit or miss this time of year. While i was clearing me tracks on the gbs deleted all the fish marks as well Bugger have to get some more and load back into it, never mind.
Back to work tomorrow so wil have another go next week and maybe try a evening fish like some have suggested. Thanks for the info and happy fishing out there
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:24pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate, go to the spot I told you about earlier in the year, it will work for you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:03pm
DIY! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PM me the spot AM! 15 metres was ok after 6pm the other day - snapper are mouthing so have swapped to a very light drag then crank it up once the hook is set.
http://www.actionstations.co.nz

Berkley 2009 and 2010 S/B champ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No worries AM will be going there soon probably a week or so and when the tides right. Its been a little hit or miss in the harbour. Hopefully do a fish inside, first of the season and many to come I hope    

Originally posted by ancient mariner ancient mariner wrote:

Mate, go to the spot I told you about earlier in the year, it will work for you!
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote biggear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:03am
biggear View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well we have been doing ok right through december on the snaps and kings. Just gotta put in the time i guess.

Dont let the grey hair fool you!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 7:39am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Will have to get some of your gps marks as lost all mine Only kidding
King's not a problem when weather plays got them sorted either jigging or popping all good. Just seem not so good on other spieces maybe need a few pointers. If you have a free spot sometime would be good to get out and see just how different im fishing. Can spllit fuel ect of all next week if your out if not no worries.
Be nice to get out today shame im working this week
Role on friday

Originally posted by biggear biggear wrote:

well we have been doing ok right through december on the snaps and kings. Just gotta put in the time i guess.

If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote U357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:21am
U357 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Went out to Karewa on the 27th, clouds of krill on the sounder, fish clogged the sounder screne, Kys, mao mao, trevs. hooked 2 undersize kings. Snaps were all too small. Lost my favorite silver Xrap to somethingCry, Lost something decent due to a hook breaking in halfCry, hooked a decent sized Marco on the last troll, these things are a reel handful and gave the Fin-Nor a work out, put on quite display leaping about and pulling string, the next problem was how to get the Rapala Magnum back, finally it de-hooked itself  which was a good result.....have now put a new trace on due to damage, so not the most productive of days but a hell of fun.   
404. That’s an error.
That’s all we know.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 1:08pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like you had some fun at least
Will give it another go this week amoungst the hundreds goimg out there this week. Have got to get some more gps marks so if anyone can help would be nice.

Originally posted by U357 U357 wrote:

Went out to Karewa on the 27th, clouds of krill on the sounder, fish clogged the sounder screne, Kys, mao mao, trevs. hooked 2 undersize kings. Snaps were all too small. Lost my favorite silver Xrap to somethingCry, Lost something decent due to a hook breaking in halfCry, hooked a decent sized Marco on the last troll, these things are a reel handful and gave the Fin-Nor a work out, put on quite display leaping about and pulling string, the next problem was how to get the Rapala Magnum back, finally it de-hooked itself  which was a good result.....have now put a new trace on due to damage, so not the most productive of days but a hell of fun.   
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm, ive always found in the warmer months inside the harbour shallow spots around certain islands can really go off for snapper,and in areas of less than a metre in the late evenings. I tend to use fresh pipis and haunt the pipi beds if the ole lettuce is not to bad.Some of the places are so shallow its easier to anchor the boat up and walk to than try to get the boat all the way there.

if your out and see a gill netter dropping his net then anchor up just up current of the net where the fish should be, as they dont drop those nets  if there is nothing on their scanner screens.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apteryx1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 10:26am
Apteryx1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We went out on 27th for a full day fishing and came home with zippo...apart from scorpion fish!
On 30th, left lkids behind this time and did very well on snapper (my best was a 12lb), and plenty trevs and terahikis.  Was a really good day although we had trouble getting lines to the bottom as the rat kingis were going nuts and grabbing the bait and even the sinker (when there was no bait!).

So some days are good and some are sooooo frustrating!!

Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 1:37pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep very true how frustrating fishing can be. Went out today had some nice kawahi in the harbour then out but not to much biting out there. Next time out will have to take me jigs and go further out for a king or two. How far out was you for the snappers. Not had to many rats more problem with barry;s biting the tackle off.

Originally posted by Apteryx1 Apteryx1 wrote:

We went out on 27th for a full day fishing and came home with zippo...apart from scorpion fish!
On 30th, left lkids behind this time and did very well on snapper (my best was a 12lb), and plenty trevs and terahikis.  Was a really good day although we had trouble getting lines to the bottom as the rat kingis were going nuts and grabbing the bait and even the sinker (when there was no bait!).

So some days are good and some are sooooo frustrating!!

Big smile
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote fish i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:17pm
fish i View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We've been fishing most days and always getting as feed. Today = kings, terakihi, snapper, trevs, gurnard, albies and Skippies. Good mix bag. Rat kingies are in plague proportions. Plenty of fish out there, they are well feed thou. Just start to think a bit differently. The usual popular harvesting grounds are hard work this time of year. Use your charts, think currents and don't do what 99% of the summer crowds are doing. Everyone seems to be complaining about the bay, not us.
6th place in the inaugural Te Kauwhata Regionals paddle crab division
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2011 at 8:28pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to hear fish i,
Will have to go a little further afield from the norm like you say. Thats a good mixture of fish was it on the outer reefs mentioning no names. Its my second season so still learning and theres a sh-t load to learn
Not knowing the current flows too well but got a few places that do well just need the winds carmer to get to them as a long way out.
Thanks for the info always good to hear fishos doing well in this area just means I must try harder like you say.

Originally posted by fish i fish i wrote:

We've been fishing most days and always getting as feed. Today = kings, terakihi, snapper, trevs, gurnard, albies and Skippies. Good mix bag. Rat kingies are in plague proportions. Plenty of fish out there, they are well feed thou. Just start to think a bit differently. The usual popular harvesting grounds are hard work this time of year. Use your charts, think currents and don't do what 99% of the summer crowds are doing. Everyone seems to be complaining about the bay, not us.
If only I could fly
Page  123 413>