Burley - how do you do it?

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wahoo Woman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burley - how do you do it?
    Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 1:30pm
Wahoo Woman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all,

Just trying to get a few ideas togeather to help our friends at NZFN and we want your help!

What we need to know is.........

1) Whats your favorite Burley?
2) Do you make your own? If so how?
3) How do you deploy it.... off the rocks.... at the beach... from the boat and method?? ie: wobbly pot or something more innovative?

We are looking at putting an article togeather and want as much help as possible with the ideas so lets do what we all do best and share that wealth of knowledge out there. Hug

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:27pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

None!LOL

OK if I had to choose my fav was breaking fresh kina in mushy pellets weetbix consistancy with chunks of pillies in and scattering around the rocks by hand out of a bucket.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:58pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fav Burley is chicken pellets from Supermarket 12 for 10 kilos, minced up with fresh makerel,
I send it all through a modified garden mulcher, and dispense it with a pvc down pipe with a small rotor on the end so that is spins in the current...  hanging down off the front of the boat!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Moocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 2:58pm
Moocha View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like to make my own and get an oil slick going  that would make BP Oil breath a sigh of relief that the gulf was not too bad after all

Kinas - smashed
Tuna or fish oil liberally applied
Chook pellets
heap of mushy old pilli's or those baby salmon are premo chopped up and fired into the brew - pulverised ( the odd home brand/ budget tin of fish infused cat food  as well)
and water to taste

Get a 150mm diameter x 400mm long (ish) length of marley stormwater pipe  with a screw cap at one end, plastic shopping bag slide inside then berley sack  inside that again  and slop in the brew  knot the top and freeze . standing on the cap end.

The plastic bag keeps it together whilst freezing and mostly comes off pretty easily, then I just attach a rope to the burley sack and into the drink she goes

Bon appetite.

- Its a bit labour intensive but rewarding  when a plan comes together. Its good off the bricks or at anchor straying baits but I cant say I have used it on the drift but  I did have a thought of ground baiting  and drifting back through it but each to their own Thumbs Up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:03pm
Big Jim View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE

OK if I had to choose my fav was breaking fresh kina in mushy pellets weetbix consistancy with chunks of pillies in and scattering around the rocks by hand out of a bucket.

[/QUOTE]
Totally agree there muppet with some tuna oil added for that bit of extra flavour. also make my own with old pillies, crabs, fish frames and YEMs to bulk it up and it all goes through the mincer and into 500gm tins. Off the boat, beach or rocks in onion sacks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:10pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Frozen minced fish (including shellfish) flesh, don't care whether I buy it or make it at home.

Deployed in a wobbly berley pot hangin off my downrigger down to 50 metres, believe it or not.

Or deployed in a surface berley dispenser if it's shallowish, less than 20 metres. Also put fish frames in surface dispenser and mash em.

It really is that simple.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote danjer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:14pm
danjer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

kina mussel and anything old bait in freezer

Homemade, custom electric mincer setup

On a weights under a bouys, several set out along a part of coast, let em sit for a while and go for a swim or have a feed or a beer or ten, then cast the softys in towards bouys and hold on!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phantom Menace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:07pm
Phantom Menace View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Burley:
Hand-made on-site kina (and occaisionally fish) burley.

Method:
1. Shoot a drummer (if doing a fish burley)
2. Swim round with it on your floatline until you find a likely looking spot with good approaches.
3. Slash the drummer up with your knife to get it going
4. wedge it under a rock
5. Collect kina and more kina
6. Pile the kina up by the drummer
7. Find a suitable rock and smash the kina
8. Swim away and leave the burley to "cook" for 20+ minutes
9. come back and sneak a peak from behind a big rock
10. Shoot fish while they are otherwise occupied
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:25pm
NZTurtle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1. Mostly salmon burley unless I make my own

2. Once a year, get garden mulcher from hire shop and clean out freezer of odds and sods. Got to get just a bot of deforst going.  Into large bin with lots of oil and some pellets (chook or pig). throw in in burly bags/onion sacks

Deploy n down rigger if deep. If shallow, hook to bungie cord tied to boat with 44oz sinker on water end and let wave action make it bounce/wobble/disperse. Works realy well with the salmon burly 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:30pm
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

i use shop 1s pillie and banito 1s in my home made wobbly pot (made out of a hq rear spring)
use a clip and slid it down my warp or hang it off the back
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:49pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Salmon burley from top catch does me fine.
Put it in a cray bag and let is wash around in the swell whilst I fish off the rocks.
Supplemented with fresk kina gathered from around the rocks and the odd bit of pillie etc
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarmerBrowne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 6:54am
FarmerBrowne View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

equal numbers of of kahwai and skipjack tuna (minus heads - kept for the pig) through a mincer or garden chipper plus any other odds & ends in the bait freezer such as barracuda and left over bait.

Add bran from the bin inn (purchased in bulk)

Freeze in one litre square takeaway type containers that are easy to stack in the freezer.

They then act as slicker pads in the slurry and get dispensed in either a burley release pot attached to the boat or in a weighted plastic one down below in the terakihi habitat.

Easy to refreeze unused burly at the end of the day as it is still in the containers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skidoggg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:26am
skidoggg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mix of salmon and a tuna berly in an onion sack preferably with some sand chucked in the mix , park up on a good current spot just back from  a good kelp bed cupla hours befor the change of light preferably with the wind and tide goin the same way add a few cubes of pillys to the mix  then start loading up on fresh  livebaits /big baits , strayline big baits out the back with as little weight as nessesary to drift it closer to the bottom but try and avoid the kelp ,wait for good long continuous run so as to allow the fish to swallow bait  befor striking ,then its up to the angler !

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 5:30pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Minced up crayfish with rabbit pellets
The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:50pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Make my own Burley.  I've recently been using Carp from the Waikato river, plus add used cooking oil from deep fryer when I change the oil.   Also add in any old left over bait Pilchards, squid, Bonito and yellow tails that end up in the boat or deep freeze.  
Another additive is prawns left over bits from removing the shells when eating. 
Heres how to make that perfect Burley.Wink

Firstly leave all ingredients out side in Sun to thaw out for around 20hrs warning likely to attract Cats in the neighbourhood, do not leave out for too long as Wife might see and smell not good for the very important Brownie points which can have disasterous effects on future fishing trips.  Actually a good idea to leave in recycling bin as you may get extra points for recycling women really like this sort of stuff.  Back to recipe
Mince all thawed out ingredients into a large plastic bin and stir for 5mins on low heatLOL do not cook this can lead to the mixture becoming well smelly Dead. And attracting more Cats!!.
Add old Cooking oil until a smooth consistency. Usually around 3-4lts as thats how much the deep fryer holds.  Once again you can get extra brownie points for changing the old oil in deep fryer Wink Stir for another 3-4 mins about now you will probably be feeling thirsty a can or bottle of Lion Red usually does the trick.   Using a small 1/2 shovel the type normally found around the open fire for removing hot ashes.  Shovel the mixture into 10lt plastic buckets or 2lt Ice cream containers, God help anyone who takes the ice cream from the bait freezer.Tongue leave in freezer for a week or so.  Deploy in Wobbly burley pot firmly tied with rope attached to front of boat hand rail.  Have tied to back of boat but found it has occasionally been forgotten about in haste to chase work ups, only to see a piece of nylon rope flying out the back of the boat without burley pot attached, not good for the wallet.
Can also you get you the Dick of the Month Trophy if any of your fishing mates happens to see and report you at next fishing club meeting.Cry

Notice the forward and reverse control of this bad boy for the inevitable jam ups.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FarNorfOwnage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 9:50pm
FarNorfOwnage View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Oh i cant wait!  we just wait for you fella's to bring up all youre MEAN AS burley, sit just down-current and have a free day on the yuppies heheh.

many a horse has been bowled over like this.
out there doing it or STFU
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 9:40pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1) Whats your favorite Burley?
Anything that doesn't cost a lot.
2) Do you make your own? Yep
If so how? Save all "leftover" bait and refreeze. Also collect all (own caught) Skippy frames heads guts etc. When I've got enough or just get sick of trying to find real bait in the freezer make a batch up with the ass kick mincer add more fish oil. Bulk out and dry a bit with rice and pig pallets. Scoop (lovely big hand fulls) into short lengths of 110mm PVC pipe. To seal the ends I either use the proper PVC caps or just tape a plastic bag to it. Freeze in the tubes. Deploy into burley despencer as attached. As soon as it slightly defrosts it pushes out of the tube easily.
3) How do you deploy it.... off the rocks.... at the beach... from the boat and method?? ie: wobbly pot or something more innovative?
This is made out of plastic gutter-guard with a aluminum disk and dive weight on the bottom. top automatically compresses to hold burley in. chain down the sides and above as sometimes the sharks get close. When finnished for the day just top-up if required and put the whole thing in the freezer. Note: the extra chain and rope just poke back in the top. I've been using this for years no mess no waste. I did find out the hard way that plastic doesn't like being bent too much when it's frozen though. Alow to defrost before attempting to top-up.

Also been known to make up some HEAVY bombs (weight inside the Burley) and just drop over the side when in deaper water and want a faster reaction ie arrive on daybreak.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote roddholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 3:35pm
roddholder View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i took a couple of aussies out last year, they checked out the pig bin behind our countdown and uplifted 4 stale bread loaves.
they crushed them up and mixed with water in a bucket, and then used it for berley, a cup every 2mins.
the snapper came for miles and we all got limits of big snapper.

a real eye opener....no cost....no smell, and all the fish you would ever need.
she was only a fishermans daughter, but she reeled at the sight of my rod!.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishin mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2010 at 4:26pm
fishin mad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

this burley is versatile rocks boat beach anywhere i buy 6 cans of homebrand fishy cat food usually $1 each bread crumbs oats thick as fish oil fish frames old bait rice mix all together in a 5 litre bucket Dead

freeze in bread bags and just chuck in onion sack tied to some rope and chuck of the rocks etc if you want it at the bottom i just add a BIG sinker from my tackle box and watch it fly to the bottom! and add cut up pillies to the burley trail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:03am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Boil up a pot of white rice add a little bit of fish oil. This stuff is dynamite on bringing piper around. Can also be used when netting.

In the boat or off rocks or wharf dispense the rice with fish oil sparingly , a spoon full at a time to attract the bait fish not feed them.  You will soon have your own little acquarium round boat or rocks.  Its always exciting to watch for the first piper start to appear.  Catch the piper and yellowtail on 2kg line using small trout hooks baited with tiny pieces of pilchard or piper, while waiting for kings to turn up.  When you see the kings drop in a live yellowtail  or piper in front of them...on 24 kg line.  Big snapper and John Dory will often be attracted once baitfish around and also love live yellowtail. 
Page  123>