Bay of Islands Landbased fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontyjfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bay of Islands Landbased fishing
    Posted: 31 Aug 2004 at 11:06am
jontyjfoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am on holiday for a few days next week and am travelling to the BOI.  Are there many land based spots (I may take my Kayaks to get to some LB spots but it could be too cold) - I don't mind a bit of a tramp. I will be based at Paihia but could explore from Maturi Bay to Tukakaka.  I would like to target some snapper, Trevally & Kahawai on some light tackle.  Any ideas would be appreciated. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2004 at 11:46am
T T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Close options would be to jump on the Fullers ferry to Urapukapuka and the work your way around the islands depending on the weather. One spot I've been meaning to give a go is off the back of Roberton, plenty of good ledges along there.

Otherwise drive to Tapeka Point beach at Russell and head around the corner till you hit the ledge...you can walk it but it does depend on the tides. Good snapper fishing here.

But considering the scope of the area you can cover, Matuari to Tutukaka, you have an endless amount of options really.

If it was up to me I'd probably have a nosey around Doubtless Bay.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jontyjfoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 10:42am
jontyjfoo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks LBG - let you know how it goes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strayline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2004 at 12:17pm
strayline View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

GROPER,

ARE YOU OUT THERE DAN ?   TOOK A QUICK TRIP UP TO CORO YESTERDAY..ALAN D. MADE UP THE NUMBERS  , BUT THE 4am START PUT HIM ON THE BACKFOOT FOR THE DAY !  

ANYWAY WE HAD A BRILLIANT DAY...CLEAR,SUNNY FULL MOON PLUS SUN IN THE SKY...OUR EFFORTS WERE REWARDED WITH A TREBLE BAG OF ZILCH !!! IT WAS AN AWESOME DAY OUT ...THE MAN IN THAMES PROVIDED SCALLOPS  ..ALREADY VACUME PACKED & THE TREVS WERE FRESH OUT OF THE SMOKER....BUT THE CLEANING & FILETING OF ZILCH WAS AMAZING I GOT MINE DONE IN NO TIME AT ALL.....GIVE ME A CALL AS WE SHOULD DO ANOTHER TRIP SOON & IF WE ARE REEL UNLUCKY ZILCH WILL NOT BE ALL WE GET !!

CHEERS

STRAYLINE

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sweet tooth#3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 8:10pm
sweet tooth#3 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

jonty give me a pm if u want some specific info
90% of fish catch 10% of fishermen
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote HELLFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 10:46pm
HELLFISH View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rawhiti is the best option at the moment.

No fish garanteed but your chances are better around there. The last couple of weeks has seen some hard fishing but the guys who put in the effort get at least one really good fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2004 at 11:14pm
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

one of my favourite areas the oki bay area.
cod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Outer limits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2004 at 6:21pm
Outer limits View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

dan here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishermandan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 12:33pm
fishermandan View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,
Pretty new on here...heading up to the bay of islands (Taupiri Bay) in January. keen to do as much fishing as possible. Can anyone give any advise to good spots or where to start, I don't mind driving (within an hour or so) Wanting to target kingfish and snapper.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated