BOP Motiti Island

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BOP Motiti Island
    Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 8:35am
MattG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Zoomed out to motitit last night about 8pm, came home about 10pm , 1/2m swell & some chop on way out then it died down while we were anchored off the knoll. reeled in  6 35cm snappers plus a couple trevs, Also a 1m cuda which took two of our hooks at once, for that we gave him some extra gills and sent him home. Then i came across this bad boy at 3.9kg - my personal biggest fish ever!.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Phishpula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 8:39am
Phishpula View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top stuff there Matt. Noting like a fresh feed of snaps. What bait were you using out of interest?
Turtle free since 2012
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 8:41am
MattG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Bonito exclusively, had some burly running too - have a nice supply of them from last season.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote unlimited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 11:17am
unlimited View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey Matt, where abouts at Motiti did you go Wink
keeping it reel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wide Load Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 1:31pm
Wide Load View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's only a matter of time until you catch a 20lber if you are fishing the Knoll at dusk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 1:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Matt, you be now addicted to get them bigger and biggerWinkClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MattG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 9:29pm
MattG View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

funny thing was I was not far off having a ralf due to a big beef and vegetable roll and it not agreeing with going to sea with me and decided we should catch just "one more" and go.

I was fishing off the southern end of Motiti on what is called the knoll - a small kelp reef which is about 3m deep & about 1km long maybe, we just park beside it in about 6m and fish onto it with no sinkers usually. I usually only fish change of light, but this time I went a bit later. I noted the water temp was about 16 degrees.

We dropped the fish fillets off at the fish and chip shop this evening - fed 9 people and I gave away 1/2 of the rest this arvo to people that normally wouldn't be able to buy fish. (damn 45 bucks a kilo at countdown now for snapper ATM)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 12:39am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Matt hope to fish around there when I get back. Need to get my PB snapper up a few sizes as its only 43cm
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 10:55am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done!!
$45!! F###en dear!! $32 in Hammy!
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken