Tauranga Squid

Page  <1234 5>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:09am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

If you spend enough time there Cliff you'll be sure to see one eventuallyLOL
'bout this time last year I tried my hand at catching them  & spent a fair bit of time at it.
Only ever hooked one  & saw one other big buggar ( + a squadron of 5-6 small versions)
There were a few guys fishing off Salisbury, dropping heavy waited squid jigs straight down & under the jetty & one night they got half a doz but I think it fizzed out after that.
Good luck, I might see you out thereBig smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 8:58am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

has any one ever tried off the rock half way round the base of the mount parallel with the entrance of the channel on matakana there is a radio becon or something on it. was thinking about taking a big hunting spotlight down there?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:24am
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Greg if you turn back to page 1 of this topic, you'll find a couple of posts by the_miksta1972.
That's the exact same spot you are asking about.
I went out there with him & he caught a couple, I returned numerous times & never ever landed oneEmbarrassed
But they are there & I'm sure a bit of perseverance would pay dividends. 

Let us know how you get on.

ps. never fished that spot at night, was always daytime.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 9:33am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yeah was walking around there the other day and thought it has got good potential( water depth, kelp cover, current flow) and then remembered I have a big spot light at work. so might just action a plan and see what comes of it.
haven't done a lot of squid fishing so can I catch them year round? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 8:36am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

went down to the pilot bay warf last night heaps of bait aroun the warf light. 2nd cast and hooked up thought sweet this is it finally found them,only for it to turn out to be a small octapus had this happen again after about 40 mins so pulled pin and going to try another spot this weekend

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Squid brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 7:54pm
Squid brain View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Plenty of squid round the base of the mount, best area is from north rock round to the entrance beach.
Plenty of weed and close to deep water/current. Don't think tide matters much there, more important is early /late in the day, and ensuring the water is not to murky. A little burley helps too.
Haven't seen squid for years off the wharves, no lights and not many bait fish maybe the reason?
Squid are in now though, poked a couple at the knoll on the spear gun last week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:40am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

anyone else having any sucess around the mount or warfs at night?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 7:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Still stuck in Oz workin... ill be chasing them when i'm back.
Also going to try around the west side of the Motiti knoll, some killer looking squid country there. Did a fair bit of squidding in Perth in years past, and that's the sort of ground you get good catches over. Get out there homebouy, post pics!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 7:40pm
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers mate had a good Crack on Sunday But weather was a bit rough. Mate found a good spot to try this week. Look forward to bowling over our 1st one. Il try leave some left for you mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

Ok, where are all the squid? 5 times round the mount and motiti, not even one take...Did have an orca swim into my line, luckily it came free, 4 kg fluro a bit light for those.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 10:56am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

mate i have basically given up on them. i went hard out for just over a month for nil resaults
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 12:52pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Anyone tried around Rabbit? Was thinking the shore/south side might be worth a crack, bit of weed etc there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ELEVAR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 7:46pm
ELEVAR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

ive seen afew small schools at rabbit when spearfishing let us know how you go!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Stonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 8:36pm
Stonefish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by ANGLER MANAGMENT ANGLER MANAGMENT wrote:

ive seen afew small schools at rabbit when spearfishing let us know how you go!

Awesome, cheers for that, when I finish my exams in a couple of weeks I might get out and have a crack.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boz19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 8:57pm
Boz19 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For the rocks etc with no lights, try them at night when the moon is full or that period when it's really bright a week either side. Don't shine your torch on the water if you can help it either. Works up here so could be productive there too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Cliff M-F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 8:07am
Cliff M-F View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Boz19. Sounds like that's worth a try, alternatively Rabbit may be my next spot to try.
I tried casting back towards the rocks at the Mt, near North Rock on Saturday, both early in the morning and then in the afternoon, after a very unproductive day out fishing.
I did see a couple of Orcas swim past at 6.30am, which was a bonus. 
I am keen to find those squid, so any updates, both positive and negative, are greatly appreciated. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Squid brain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 12:15pm
Bronze
Bronze

Another squidless squid session around motiti knoll, last night.....Maybe the waters too cold at 13.5 deg?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:07pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm pretty sure squid are caught in temps much lower than that Brendan.
The jvc boats fish down south of Stewart Island..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:44pm
Nomis View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds depressing... bloddy us jaffas head out at mission bay and fish from the car door and catch these things. Or at the devonport ferry terminal.

I would have guessed you BOP lot would have been cleaning up on the squid down there
I'll act my age when im 69
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 10:35am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Not quite Tauranga but Whale Island is in the Bay.

Caught on a blue over white Z-man middle of the day.

CBF
Whk

Page  <1234 5>