Fg Verses Pr knots (Braid to Mono Leader)

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fg Verses Pr knots (Braid to Mono Leader)
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 6:51pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been looking at these 2 knots which one would you say is best. Just started into jigging and have had a few failures. Have now mastered the pr knot hopefully will find out Sunday how good they are when I came across this FG knot. Any one who has used both and can add some insight to these would be good,   
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 6:52pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

never tied the fg knot looks like a mis but never had a pr let go
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ancient mariner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 7:00pm
ancient mariner View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Andy, you master the PR then teach me mate!   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 7:00pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They both work pretty well, the key with the fg knot is to really put some tension on the first half hitch that you do.
Fg casts better but i think for reliability the PR is hard to beat.
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 7:10pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ancient mariner ancient mariner wrote:

Andy, you master the PR then teach me mate!   

Well lets say they look good
If I manage to hook up any kings on sunday it will test the strength of me knot. They are not to hard to do with the Bobbin and Mark (Ginga) made it look so easy when I was out with him.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 7:12pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ginga ginga wrote:

They both work pretty well, the key with the fg knot is to really put some tension on the first half hitch that you do.
Fg casts better but i think for reliability the PR is hard to beat.

Cheer's Mark I can see from the video on U-tube that they have to pull hard and wet the knots before they tighten them up so friction does not damage the line.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 9:48pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

FG is very good and reliable when done properly.  But I look at the many many tight wraps on a PR and compare it to just 12 cross wraps of the FG.  My teeth have never been the same either!  Cheaper and probably stronger and more reliable with PR.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:49am
bush billy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Censored[QUOTE=ChrisW]FG is
  But I look at the many many tight wraps on a PR and compare it to just 12 cross wraps of the FG.  My teeth have never been tChrisW]FG is very good and reliable when done proper pull hard as u can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:51am
Platinum
Platinum

pr can not be bet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bush billy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:11am
Platinum
Platinum

next thing hand onNukesee what the japs say
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 5:27am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FG better much
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 9:21am
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems most like the PR knot being better, but the FG is a smaller knot which may have some advantages as well.
Will have to see how my PR knots hold up but will have to learn the FG as a back up and maybe for a casting knot with it being smaller.
Thanks for comments on the knots.   
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:07am
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FG is a knot well worth knowing how to tie, if you only can do the PR and you forget your bobbin then you in deep poo
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 11:00am
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

At the Japanese Jig & Pop show, they were holding demos in tying PR knot, I have seen them doing it for a few years now.

I've learnt FG from Konishi and tied it many times but you have to pull the leader and braid in 4 opposite directions so that the braid bites into the leader.  You have to use your teeth to hold the leader tag.  After paying my dentist twice to fix my teeth over this, I just tie the PR, much cheaper dentist bills now.  No reason why you can't tie a short PR if lenght is a concern.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:09pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

At the Japanese Jig & Pop show, they were holding demos in tying PR knot, I have seen them doing it for a few years now.

I've learnt FG from Konishi and tied it many times but you have to pull the leader and braid in 4 opposite directions so that the braid bites into the leader.  You have to use your teeth to hold the leader tag.  After paying my dentist twice to fix my teeth over this, I just tie the PR, much cheaper dentist bills now.  No reason why you can't tie a short PR if lenght is a concern.

Thanks Christ sounds like stick to the PR knot and just have the FG as back up because if Like Ginga says i forget me bobbin.
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote footey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 6:09pm
footey View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Does anyone use the reverse albright. They are very popular in the states and recommended by tackle stores such as Charkbait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:23pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

the Albright knot is quite large and could easily take out a rod guide.  PR and other Japanese knots are far more compact.

Charkbait is located in California and their style of fishing, tackle etc is steeped in tradition.  The West Coast anglers are quite resistant to change, they are very slow to recognise the Japanese style of jigging and the advanced tackle involved.  The East Coast is quite the opposite and MJ is very popular and the tackle selection is very advanced for just a few years.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andy2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:31pm
andy2fish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The more simpler knot the better to much complications in Life without bloody knots
Well gears done, rods jigged up, boat fueled just some fish needed tomorrow to see just how good my PR knots are Looks like wind is going to play along as well and stay carm
If only I could fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:42am
Mez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i use the FG knot pretty often, and to be henst it has not failed on me as of yet. i ahve no complains about it, but it has to be tied properly which can be time consuming 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sonofafisherman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 1:10am
sonofafisherman View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

no teeth involved, just learnt the FG today, is based on how you secure a fibre rope with chain (a chain stopper), just very very many more turns, the PR Knot is based around a rolling hitch. I have trusted both with my life. If push came to shove I would say the PR knot is probably the better, but at close to a hundy for a bobbin, it can GFd.
No teeth method: slap your rod in a suitably placed rod holder, thread the braid up the eyes as per normal, and secure the end some where convenient, set the drag on your reel appropriately - to do what it does best - apply the desired amount of tension, the bend in the rod should act as a spring to help here.
 I"m no expert, but about 1 - 1.5 kg seemed to work ok. any more and the plaits started trying to capsize when I tied it. 
On lighter gear, soft bait and stray line to 15 kg, an albright knot is hard to beat, depends I suppose on the size of the trace relative to the main line.
The bloke who said learn to tie the knots you like to use, well, is on the right track.  I survived for many years knowing only four knots - the improved clinch, blood knot, a dropper loop (for making up, you guessed it, dropper rigs) and a figure eight (which can be rethreaded a la indoor rock climbing to secure jig heads etc). If anyone has tested a figure eight against the alternatives i'd love to know the results. My repertoire has grown considerably since, and I now use a uni knot in preference to an improved clinch - most of the time, otherwise KISS  
Page  123 4>