sprat fishing

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sprat fishing
    Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:31pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hey all,

Trying to be a good samaritan for the local bird rescue centre... I'm after a sprat fishing location on the north shore.
Cold I know but just throwing it out there to see.

They use them for rescued sea birds as they are the perfect size apparently.

Cheers all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 3:37pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Any wharf or jetty always seem to have heaps. The best way to catch them is with the plastic baitcatcher. You just put in some bread wet it give it a shake to break it up then lower the tube into the water and watch them going nuts trying to get in. Good way of catching livies for a mish to.
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:09pm
Double Shot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go to birkenhead with the above bait catcher put some bread in and a small amount on the water you'll get loads on the stairway in sheltered water...
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:17pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bread and a cast net.. stuff waiting around for a baitcatcher to catch 5 sprats.A decent cast net will get all the sprats/piper/yellowtails in an 8ft circle each throw.
Just take a short time to learn to throw them.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:19pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thank you chaps. One of those and my sprat rod just so I've got something to do other than sit there :)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:19pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good point GH, totally forgot that option....
70ml of 90deg C water pressurised through 13g of roasted finely ground tamped coffee for 25sec's to make a distinguishing sensory hit called a Double Shot    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:28pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm on TradeMe looking at nets now Big smile The missus will be so pleased
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 4:34pm
Titanium
Titanium

Now now SeaDooer, be nice to the little lady...I find that I get away with just about anything on TM when I fashion a statement to her on anything I do...Or I just don't tell her...lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 5:54pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Murrays Bay Wharf

Mix bread and rolled oats into a bucket with just enough water so its thick then when you put it in the baitcatcher it wont all float to the surface and feed those flying rats.

Its important that you hang a heavy weight say a 10oz sinker directly centre under the catcher so it stays nice and straight then you will get alot more fish and loose less as well when you retrieve it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2010 at 8:21pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Seadooer Seadooer wrote:

I'm on TradeMe looking at nets now Big smile The missus will be so pleased

If you are after a cast net, i have a 9ft one that is about 2 1/2 months old,Uused, and had its soak to soften it up so its all ready to use.Bought it only a week or so before i buggered my back and so cast nets are out for a year or so as dont want to risk my back.

Paid $70  but looking to sell it for $40.. if you are interested.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote one leg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:02am
one leg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

go down to Milford Mariner and take a rod and bait catcher any time
woman who say they are equal to men ,show lack of Ambition .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:44pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Now theres a tip, Milford Mariner, I'd totally forgetten about that place. Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:45pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

you have a PM GoingHard
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Seadooer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 4:46pm
Seadooer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

lol Predator! I just won her some Gardener mags so i'm well and truely in the good books right now LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Double Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 5:18pm
Titanium
Titanium

Good man that's the way keep her distracted...lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AJ2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:58pm
AJ2001 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Wanda ra I know this is about 7 years late but if you still have that cast net I'm interested.
Thx