Fishing with the Squid Kings

Page  123 5>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing with the Squid Kings
    Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 1:47pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I have been interested in squid fishing for a few weeks now, so went down to see the boys at there shop in Glenfield on the North shore. I was pretty amazed at all the dedicated squid fishing gear they have in there shop. The have squid rods and reels which are super light weight  and lots of squid fishing accessories. I chatted with them and asked what to use and where to go. They hooked me up with a few lures and asked for my cell phone number so they could invite me squid fishing. I arrived home with my new Yama****a lures and about 2 hours latter Brian called me to see if I wanted to go. A few hours later we were off visiting a few wharfs some close by and some a fair distance away. Brian acted like a guide and showed us the in and outs of squid fishing. These guys had all the gears 100s of lures dedicated rods and reels, iki spike especially for squid, wearable tackle boxes you name it they had it. They outfished my mate and I hands down it requires finnesse and skill,  however they were very happy when my mate caught one.
This type of fishing is a great fun and I can see why its so popular in other countries. I will be back for more and have just been down to there shop to order a new squid fishing rod and reel.
Thanks to Brian and his mates from Angler NZ for showing my mate and I a good time. We will be back. Heres a few pics of last night. If you want to try it go and see them they are very helpful and extremely passionate about catching squid.

o

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 2:22pm
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where abouts did you go Squid fishing ?
It really does look like fun really keen to give it a go.
The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:38pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice one Paul, I'm envious

I wish there was someone in Tga who could lead the way for a keen & aspiring squido
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:45pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Nice one Paul, I'm envious

I wish there was someone in Tga who could lead the way for a keen & aspiring squido
Give them a call uncle these guys go all over the show 3-4 times per week would not surprise me if they go down your way. There very helpful, and keen to teach others..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 5:02pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Whats the name of the shop, and where is it in Glenfield??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 9:13pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Its called Angler NZ and its on the corner of link drive and target road behind burgerking in amongst the asian shops. Theres a chinese supermarket called T Mart and its inside upstairs there.

ph:(09) 4443318

1030 till 6
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote part-timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 10:07pm
part-timer View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mahiman Mahiman wrote:

Originally posted by part-timer part-timer wrote:

Its called Angler NZ and its on the corner of link drive and target road behind burgerking in amongst the asian shops. Theres a chinese supermarket called T Mart and its inside upstairs there.

ph:(09) 4443318

1030 till 6

Cheers for that..  yeah, cant beat a feed of fresh squid...  Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NooB_Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:14pm
NooB_Fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wat kinda gear you bought? and most important, how much =P if you don mind me asking. cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:39am
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by NooB_Fisho NooB_Fisho wrote:

wat kinda gear you bought? and most important, how much =P if you don mind me asking. cheers
it varie in price and quality from a few hundred up to 2K. The squid kings had little stellas with low capacity spools and superlight rods. I went for a quality rod which cost about 300 and 150 for the reel there is cheaper and also more expensive.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NooB_Fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:54am
NooB_Fisho View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

wow..that's quite alot for me >< thx for the info n gluk with squidding!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 12:04pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by NooB_Fisho NooB_Fisho wrote:

wow..that's quite alot for me >< thx for the info n gluk with squidding!
you can use a softbait setup also
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 6:58pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one heaps of squids around at the moSmile
just use ur softbait gear to start with its easy there alot of place's u can go to get them in aucks
yeehaa fishing has a massive supply of all things squidy Thumbs Up got me some pritty pink one's the other day about 4 bucks each

http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xsspeed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:06pm
xsspeed View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I'm planning on using the softbait gear I just bought - what weight braid should I go with (will most likely be fishing Mission Bay) would 6lb be light enough?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:24pm
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reckon we should have a friendly Squid fishing comp night down Mission Bay when the weather comes right. By reading some of the posts in here everyone keen to give it ago.

The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote green guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 7:57pm
green guy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by xsspeed xsspeed wrote:

I'm planning on using the softbait gear I just bought - what weight braid should I go with (will most likely be fishing Mission Bay) would 6lb be light enough?
i got 10lb on mine its fine but think the guys who do it alot use around 4lb
http://www.facebook.com/hauraki.hillbillys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Xtoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:13pm
Xtoad View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"I reckon we should have a friendly Squid fishing comp night down Mission Bay when the weather comes right"

I'm keen for a squid-off in M Bay! Nothing better than catching dinner in the rush hour traffic. Anyone else keen?
I use an old flyfishing rod and 6lb braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:33pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Got some light weight gear , sounds like fun. Where in B.o.P would you go ?
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Naki man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:43pm
Naki man View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We squid fish a bit off the yaks down here in the Naki. The ones we catch are a bit different than those are and mean as. We make sure we are fully clothed (long sleeved shirts and gloves) as they draw blood very quickly. Some of them, including tentacle, are 80 or 90cm. Lot of fun to catch. I use a 7/0 hook slid through the eye of a tripple and have a flashing light on the trace. I also put a small piece of KY on the 7/0

The solution to any problem - work, money, love, whatever - is to go fishing - the worse the problem the longer the fishing trip should be.

"I have a lot of very large problems"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 8:45pm
smizz View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

fishing for squid sounds quite interesting..can anyone help as i know nothin about it.   is there any special way of catching them? can they be caught anywhere?..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 10:06pm
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by smizz smizz wrote:

fishing for squid sounds quite interesting..can anyone help as i know nothin about it.   is there any special way of catching them? can they be caught anywhere?..

Go to one of the Asian fishing shops they are in to it big time and will tell you all you need to know. Theres Angler NZ on the North Shore and Yeehaa on the city side of the bridge if you live in Auckland.
Page  123 5>