"Fish Freshness" How Long?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Fish Freshness" How Long?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 6:06pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ok have wondered about this for a while.

Assuming i catch lets say snapper and i gut it on the rocks but keep it whole and then throw it in a chilli bin with salt ice.
Then take it home and put it in the fridge wrapped so it doesn't go dry how many days is it good to eat?

We know you cant beat it eaten same day but sometimes you dont catch up with your rellies for a couple of days and you want to pass some on.

I had some tonight which we caught on Saturday and it was binned and kept as above.

It still tasted great and didnt smell any stronger than the fish we had on Sat arvo!

Also wonder how many days after being caught do they sell it at the supermarkets?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 6:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon if kept whole (or gilled and gutted) on a good bed of salt ice 3 days is all good. Once filleted and prepped for cooking I try and eat it all within 36 hours. That normally involves dishing some out to the in laws.Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:02pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

when we catch ours its chilled an killed (ice slurry) as we all do ,just before we decide to call it a day we fillet all fish wash in salt water ,bag and seal it then into a clean mix of ice slurry,when home straight into fridge where i will feast upon it for few nights ,i too think its good to have it eaten with in 3 days i dont freeze it ,rather give family,neighbours some fresh fish ,,,,,,,,,,i went out few yrs ago now with a mate from footy went to a place where the fishing is awersome,we caught some huge blue cod,teris,etc he had no where on his boat to put the fish into,he just chucked them under the floor hatch it was summer and at end of day fish was off ,bowed like a banana and stink ,i was very annoyed at this as was some others ,i took no fish home it was a pure waste of killing the fish ,anyone can get a chilly bin and chuck some ice in it mix with salt water and it will fit on virtually any boat ,so why he couldnt do it was beyond me ,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 7:54pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So long as it's been kept well it shouldn't be a problem to get 5 days + out of fish.

Ever eaten fish at a restaurant? When I'd recieve fish at my restaurants it would often show up in worse condition than a 3 day old catch of mine at home.

In a restaurant you'd ideally not serve fish after three days in our chiller, a lot of places will if the fish still appears fresh with no smell. We very rarely know when the fish was caught bare in mind, so we could recieve the fish three days in.... makes ya think

If you need to there are ways to make it last longer, say if you need it to last for a bbq or something a few days down the track.
One good way is to get two containers of the same size that stack one inside the other.
Drill holes in one and place that into the other. Layer the one with holes in it with ice, a layer of cooking paper with holes stabbed in it, the fish, another layer of cooking paper with holes and then a layer of ice. Cover the hole thing with a lid of glad wrap. Sounds like a hassel but you can get 7 days out of fish if needed just by changing the ice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

So this is worthwhile info as we now know how old the fish should be before we pass it onto the inlawsSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Top Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 8:47pm
Top Cat View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi photofisha

I was looking at his subject the other day.

There is some interesting info on freshness at the end of this thread

I'll give it 5 more minutes...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers thats interesting for sure TCThumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:34pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Some good stuff here.  It closely matches Badfish's comments:
It comes from the Seafood Industry Council.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:46pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if the fish has been killed and iced straight away and then filleted the same evening you'd expect 5 days easy in the bottom shelf of the fridge at 3c. of course kahawai is best within 2 days eh?!

snapper keeps fresh for ages as does Tarakihi, groper ect.

change the paper towel the fillets are sitting on the next morning and then twice more. don't leave it sitting in its own juiceDead even at 3c. wrap the plate/tray tight with glad wrap.

i too often wonder how old it is at the supermarket. our new world had snapper fillets for $48 per kilo last month.Shocked

then there's vacum packers which probably merit a whole new threadLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 9:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Wouldnt the fish stay in better condition if you keep it whole or do you think it best to get the flesh away from the frame?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote blackboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:00pm
blackboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

holly molly Pro $48 kilo hows the average joe blogs to buy his family couple kilo snapper for tea ,,,man im out of touch with supermarket prices no wonder i never go in them 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:20pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

snapper 34.95 k at local pak n slave... terakihi 22.95 k and gurnard 19.95 k ..
I reckon they got it the wrong way round...Big smile 

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:38pm
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just as a matter of interest I notice several people here eat their fish the same day as it’s caught.

I understand and certainly practice the fact that fish left for 1 day after catch certainly tastes far better than fresh fish. I also kill and salt ice straight away but leave the fish in the salt ice and salt water for a day then fillet; I have found with most fish that it’s far far easier than trying to fillet the same day. The fish also taste better having time to “rest” before using, once filleted I either throw them in one of Bradleys vacuum pack bags and freeze down without any other washing etc or use within 3 days in fridge. If I leave them in the fridge I have a clip lid plastic container which I have adapted a cake rack to fit and the fillets go on this which holds them about 20mm off the deck so that the liquid drops down – this works well and stops the fish form being tainted. I have also found that if you cook the fish then you get another 2 to 3 days extra out of them so you can get up to a week easy this way.

Does anyone else practice leaving the fish before eating?
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tas-tackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 10:54pm
tas-tackle View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yup.... spot on moggy... but I fillet, skin and bone...  little saxa non iodised salt and into fridge... vacuum pack balance.. for friends, family or freezer...

http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 12:36am
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having tested the evidence and cooked it up to five days after being given it (sorry mate, I was busy Embarrassed)  I would be listening to whatever Prosport has to say on this subject. Even six days after being caught his fish barely smells in the pan and is delicious.

Whatever he does is very, very right.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote J-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 5:40am
J-D View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm with Moggy on this one, I prefer to leave my fish over night in the fridge. It appears to "settle" better over night making the whole filleting and cleaning a lot better. My Mrs is a food, health and safety inspector for a large super market chain. I get in trouble LOL if I haven't vacuum bagged the fish after 2 nights in the fridge. The other issue she said is most folks don't have their fridge cold enough for fish storage. This is a good post and interesting!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bossco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:24am
Bossco View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Photofisha Photofisha wrote:

Wouldnt the fish stay in better condition if you keep it whole or do you think it best to get the flesh away from the frame?

If you fillet it its generally warmed up again, after being in a slurry and exposed to air with bacteria etc which can't be good for it and would reduce the life by heaps. I leave my fish whole and gutted in a seperate fridge that gets extremely cold and down to below the recomended fish storage levels, and they stay in a semi-frozen form, whenever I want to eat one I just take it out and get the fillets off the frame, longest normally 6-7 days before they get eaten and the quality is still superb.

Never eat or fillet them on the same day, always the next day minimum so the flesh has set etc, bit like why you would'nt rip a steak off a cow on the same day without resting it a bit first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:44am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I always leave mine 24 hours on ice before filleting it firms them up perfectly.

Another thing I do lately is I am scaling my snapper and cooking with skin on. Its way better imo the skin has all the flavour. I have always done this with JD's and gurnard but I tell ya the snapper has the best flavour of the lot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:46am
Moggy View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DORJAM DORJAM wrote:

I'm with Moggy on this one, I prefer to leave my fish over night in the fridge. It appears to "settle" better over night making the whole filleting and cleaning a lot better. My Mrs is a food, health and safety inspector for a large super market chain. I get in trouble LOL if I haven't vacuum bagged the fish after 2 nights in the fridge. The other issue she said is most folks don't have their fridge cold enough for fish storage. This is a good post and interesting!!

Hey Dorjam
What does your Mrs. say the correct - or max temp should be - or temp range perhaps out of curiosity?
Your right about fridges, generally the "normal" fridge temp is too high - as I understand it if you dropped to the right temp you would freeze damage any greens you have in the greens bin so that why it’s not usually down low enough, separate fridge is the way to go for those that have enough space/money

Had not thought about your idea Bossco - keeping intact till needed but it makes sense only drawback I guess would be cleaning up the mess each time you want to use some fish. I prefer to do all the "work" at once and vacuum down the balance - just I guess I make such a mess that I don’t want to have to clean up again...
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
FISH FIGHT The Peoples Protest
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:04pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've been told, and my own evidence would back it up, that the reason fish fillets are firmer if the fish is left whole for a day because when they do go through rigor mortis the tissue is supported by the skeleton and the skin.

Fish fillets or I guess more accurately the flesh of fish is sterile, (bacteria can be introduced in through cross contamination in the filleting process) so keeping them below four degrees is a good idea.
Bacteria is usually dormant in anything under 5deg, but over that they'll grow until about 65 where it tapers off and all but a couple strains are killed off at 75deg. I think it's around 37 where bacteria grows most rapidly.