Home Bay - 21 March

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote _macca__ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home Bay - 21 March
    Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 11:11pm
_macca__ View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Quick report....

Headed out for a fish today.....Unfortunately couldn't fish either of Lethal's bite times due to other commitments.

So we were left with a 11:30am till 6pm fishing window......oh well might as well make the most of it.  Call was made to stick with softbaits only Wink

Got to rangi channel 11:30..... nothing.  Not even a bite. Saw the flotilla of boats on the water further up the channel watching the race though!

Moved to home bay and driftted that area for 3 hours......nothing.  Odd nibble but no takers.

Moved to Rakino channel....quick drift there.  Few little bites and a 10cm snap was all.  So headed home and stopped to see if home bay was producing better closer to lethals bite time.

We did 3 drifts at about 5pm and got 2 snapper to take home!!!! Big smile  At least something for dinner.  1 just under 40cm and the other 45cm+.

Then nothing again...... so left to head home at 5:30pm.  During the day we had quite consistent little bites taking the crazy legs tails off....but very few decent bites.

So was tough going.....

Oh well thats how it goes.......keen to try and get out there for at least one of Lethals predicted bites next time!! Smile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote saltydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 7:50am
saltydog View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

terch?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tightlines2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:12am
tightlines2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We had a tough day out there as well with all of our 5 fish caught at around 8.15am then nothing else until we wandered home at about 2.30pm. The fish were biting short a lot of the time so a switch to smaller baits made the difference but they were hard to find. The water temp seemed colder and I'm sure all the boat traffic and southerly wind isn't helping either. Time for a new plan  thinkSmile
Remember it's not the number of breaths you take that is important in life, but rather the number of times that life takes your breath away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mahiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 8:49am
Mahiman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A suggestion when the fish are biting tails off and nibbling. As soon as the wiggly tail is bitten off they lose interest. Try using softbaits that are durable with wiggly bits. I have been using the Zman lizard in the situation you describe as the fish cant bite the tail off it keeps wiggling  and they stay interestedand they will have a crack at it after a few nibbles...I have been dragging Lizards through the sand and catching all last week...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:21am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Been using those lizards with good success too mahiman. Realy good option for fishing like that.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishinrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 12:08pm
fishinrox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

You sayin satday was hard??
Daughter and I fished Rangi satday 11am til 3-15pm got our quota nothing under 350
with biggest goin 7lbs.
At anchor on baits,pilchard being the favourd.
Might pay to take some bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:18pm
snap View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I fished home bay on Sunday night 6-8pm. There were no birds (they were all off the eastcoast bays by the sounds). Saw gannets heading that way on the way out and almost turned to follow them (next time I will because ya just can't beat that shallow water workup stuff). Anyhow managed 9 snaps on Zman lizards and curried chickens drifting 15-17mtrs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yatsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 3:11pm
yatsey View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well we finally made it to Home Bay area on the 19th. Had a very keen crew on board who had been looking forward to this for weeks. Met at the boat at 6.00am and got away about 6.30 am. Headed straight for Home Bay as planned. Boat's a bit slow so we had the lines in the water by 8 am. Nothing. I had the dark softs on, we had squid, and pilchard, and squid stuffed with pilchard, a Lucanus, a jig at anchor, on the drift, with birds without birds and hardly anything. I think we managed to scrounge 4 small snapper and a KY into the bin (which was chocker with salt ice waiting to be used). We went up to Woody Bay zone, round the corner of Rakino and back to Home Bay zone after giving up up there.
Nothing.

At 1.15pm we decided "Bugger it' we'll stop in at Rangi Channel on the way home as we had to be back by 4pm. We got to Rangi Channel spot X dropped the lines in the water and it just went off. We probably caught 13 reasonable fish in as many minutes and then they moved the LV course. The washing machine of boats seemed to scare all the fish away and it just went dead.

Got into the marina for the comp weigh in and found that Rangi Channel had been going off most of the day apart from a couple of hours in the middle. Bugger Me. Mentioned this to a mate who went and fished Rangi on Saturday and nothing. Went out there myself on Sunday and fished from 11.00 to 4.00pm and caught only 3 fish at about 3.55pm bang, bang, bang. One each for the three lads on board. Unfortunately for them I caught them all. That really pissed them off. Had to leave for home then so don't know how the evening fished. All had our tail between our legs after 3 days of trying yet I heard stories of snaps all over the place.

I think I'll take up croquet. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 3:35pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanx for the report macca, good to get the occasional report of less fish, seems most only post when they have a lot of fish to show. I also was out around Rangi on Sat am and almost zilched, went out to Rakino / Motuihe and really quiet. Never mind, was nice just being out there. Dozens of boats zooming all over the place so must have been "Q" for them as well.
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bjorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:41pm
Bjorn View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Pity you couldnt wait a couple more hours out there. i was at home bay around when you were there and lost a couple of goods ones but the fish came on the bite hard bang on 7pm 
http://www.youtube.com/user/OnTheBricksnBoat