Electrolysis

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtasea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrolysis
    Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:31pm
xtasea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Dudes

I was overnighting on Saturday night and the sea was dead smooth.

Before I hit the sack I turned the radio off and I could hear a very faint crackling noise. the noise was'nt in an isolated spot and it sounded like it was coming from the waterline of the hull.

I was concerned that it may have been a wiring fault so I checked all the wiring I could and then isolated the battery’s to see if the crackling stopped.

The crackling was still happening so my next thought was electrolysis.

What are your thoughts??

The boat is ali and is fully painted internally and external. The inside of the hull is also sealed with some sort of sealer ( well from what I can see from a hatch ).

no obvious sign of electrolysis on what I can see, except of some paint bubbling around some stainless fittings that I have removed.

Doesn’t do it on the trailer.   

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CEEBEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:38pm
CEEBEE View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Are any earth leads bolted to the hull, if so remove them ASAP, or hull will dissolve.

Check ure fuse box in the dark cause I discovered a noise similar to that and found a terminal fizzing through bad contact and the arcing was obvious!!
I STARTED THE DAY WITH NO FISH AND I STILL HAVE PLENTY LEFT
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Unclejake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 3:29pm
Unclejake View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder if you were hearing shellfish etc. through the hull of the boat. There is always a lot of cracking and so forth going on under the water. Freedivers hear it all the time, even through wetsuit hoods.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 3:39pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Unclejake Unclejake wrote:

I wonder if you were hearing shellfish etc. through the hull of the boat. There is always a lot of cracking and so forth going on under the water. Freedivers hear it all the time, even through wetsuit hoods.

Inclided to agree with UncleJake definately sounds like the shellfish choir .
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 3:54pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It's amazing hearing how much sound comes from the sea life after dark.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazzman58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 3:56pm
Bazzman58 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Nothing like hearing it on a night dive..
We all have one that got away..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hamish_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 4:29pm
Hamish_S View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sorry to hijack your thread but i jhave bubbling paint around some fittings on my alloy boat, i assumed it was salt water getting in where the painted is broken for a screw or fitting...

is this not the case?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:00pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We used to hear a noise exactly like you're describing while overnighting on the old family launch. It was Kauri and is still going strong so I don't think you've got anything to worry about.
I've heard all sorts of theories such as plankton etc.
I believe a few rums minimises any impact on sleep! Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:10pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Hamish_S Hamish_S wrote:

Sorry to hijack your thread but i jhave bubbling paint around some fittings on my alloy boat, i assumed it was salt water getting in where the painted is broken for a screw or fitting...

is this not the case?

In your case it's most likely two different metals setting up an electrolytic reaction in which the lighter or less noble metal is eaten away.  More nobel = less prone to corrosion.  Remove the fittings, clean the paint off and replace with a corrosion inhibitor paste, there are several out there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Don18025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:24pm
Don18025 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can confirm the divers, just the sound of the sea life round the boat getting on with life. I hear it in my wooden boat sometimes as well. You must remember that sound travels faster and further in water than in the air. An alloy boat hull is an effective transfer of this sound from the seabed creatures and as a result you hear it.
As for electrolysis, except for the shorting wires, it is much more silent than that noise and once it gets going whilst in the sea it continues. I even had an oil cooler sucumb to electrolysis on my diesel recently and it was observation of a small leak that identified the problem. It would be great to not have dissimilar metals on a boat, but unfortunately that is most unlikely to happen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote xtasea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 5:38pm
xtasea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ok thanks guys. It may have been my underwater mates warning me of the tsunami Wink

I had a dive at one of my scallop spots when the tsunami was suppose to hit NZ ( I was unaware at the time ) and the vis was only a foot. it was like swimming through someone else's disturbed silt. never experienced that before.Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Yoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 7:29pm
Yoti View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We overnighted in the Tauranga harbour saturday night and was a "loud clicking noise night" and hear that noise regularly while night fishing..some nights none, others quite loud..have noticed on the nights with phosphorescence in the water the noise is more common.
29 yr old  fibreglass hull
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tugboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 8:47pm
tugboat View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hear it all the time in my tinney at night when overniting, ive always thought it was sea lice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:17pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

also check no sinkers are just lying around another cause of electrolysis in tinnies
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 10:24pm
plastic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ive had it myself, just like electronics crackling,or an ultrasonic bath cleaner. so loud, isolated everything an no difference. Someone told m its shrimps
Why is the man who invests your money called a "Broker"