Canterbury Spearos Thread...

Page  123 365>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canterbury Spearos Thread...
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:54pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So as per an earlier thread, someone needed to get a thread started for those of us who get to hunt fearsomely large crays and plentiful Butters, cod and moki in visibility that makes my creme of chicken cup-a-soup look crystal clear, so please post away with reports, trip notifications, pics and general ramblings...

Oh and anyone headed out Banks peninsula way this weekend, figuring the southside might be OK with the Noreasters- will give a vis report after my Birdlings Flat check-up this evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Qaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:00pm
Qaz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is this the start of a thread for All places in NZ ?....
The rate people are opening threads like this its surley looking that way Wink
http://www.gladiatormarine.co.nz/
A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 7:45pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Checked the water off Birdlings out, not overly dirty and like a lake- hope it holds out into the weekend.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 8:31pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

sounds good mate, goodluck out there
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 9:33pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

dived little akaloa today - dirty as hell, large northerly swell rolling on in. saw some seriously large crays sitting in the back of caves, but wasn't game to be venturing in there with my 'buddy' sitting on the boat with an idiot stick. ended up grabbing a medium cray and nailing some fish for tea. Heading to the south side of banks tomorrow, looked good from the summit, so hoping for a good day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 6:41am
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good Luck R Jack- from the birdlings flat check you will have a good day, I'll be out there on Saturday if anyone is keen.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 6:56pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

a good day of cray harvesting. had heaps of fish from kaiks the other day so just concentrated on trying to get some big bugs. both of us got 6, and some nice ones amoungst them so that was cool. bit of a southerly swell / chop, made for a rough and wet ride in the tin machine but ok for diving in the sheltered spots. vis a milky 5m.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 8:31pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Cool, I'm going to have a look at Magnet or Tumbledown on saturday if the weather holds, anyone else keen?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 3:45pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Keen on a report on kaikoura conditions if anyone is up that way today or tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 3:46pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by R Jack R Jack wrote:

a good day of cray harvesting. had heaps of fish from kaiks the other day so just concentrated on trying to get some big bugs. both of us got 6, and some nice ones amoungst them so that was cool. bit of a southerly swell / chop, made for a rough and wet ride in the tin machine but ok for diving in the sheltered spots. vis a milky 5m.

That's good going R Jack - nicely done.  If you are up for an evening trip out in the next week or two and fancy some company then drop us a line as getting out cray chasing off Banks is something I'm real keen on.  The cat's meow Mr Felix and I are heading off to Kaiks tomorrow for some general slaughter, and if this nor'easter holds it should make for a good trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 3:50pm
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by vip_yo vip_yo wrote:

Keen on a report on kaikoura conditions if anyone is up that way today or tomorrow.

From a combination of Swellmap/ Metservice/ Dive Kaikoura vis report/ general guesswork it looks good for tomorrow but the Southerly coming through Sat night may cock things up a little for Sunday depending on how strong it is. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote vip_yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:00pm
vip_yo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah I was thinking sunday might be a bit of a gamble.Hopefully the southerly is weak.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote L Akaloa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 8:11pm
L Akaloa View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

R Jackā€¦.. idiot stick, unimpressed! Will have to redeem myself next week by getting wet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CRAYMOUNTS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 9:18pm
CRAYMOUNTS View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

photos of ya hellish crays? us auck wackers will judge for ya
CLASS CRAYMOUNTS DONE
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 3:36am
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by L Akaloa L Akaloa wrote:

R Jackā€¦.. idiot stick, unimpressed! Will have to redeem myself next week by getting wet.

haha snapped. it is what it is, good thing you're evolving now Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 5:24pm
kj View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Ended up going over to Wainui today, 2-3m of vis (not bad in the harbour). saw a couple of butters. Did mange a feed of paua (was shocked because it was literally a 20 metres from the carpark) anyhow it's not a bad option if there no where else to dive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 10:26pm
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

had a good day up in kaikora, i will let teezer tell all, and upload photos, off to bed now, 17hr day is enuff for me

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Teezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 9:39am
Teezer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fd3s, Pomahaka, myself and another chap were headed off to Kaiks yesterday morning with Felixx + 1 when Felixx got a puncture and as soon as that was changed him and his mate's coastguard beepers went off so that was their day done.  The hardcore crew carried on regardless though, a little bit dubious on what Kaiks would be like following a full night of strong Nor Easter. 

We needn't have worried though - Kaiks was blue sea, warm sun and around a 2 foot ground swell.  Stopped at a bay along the coast before town, and got suited up.  Fd3s was toting his new beauchat gun, and Pomahaka and his mate Anthony - who's a newb to the game - were keen on some paua. 

Jumped in (after startling about 100 seals that we hadn't noticed on observing the bay from the road) and it was straight into 4m vis and some lovely fishy territory.  Saw butters from the off, and picked up crays and paua.  After rounding the furthest point of the reef, headed back over some mixed boulder/ sandy ground in about 8m so figured I'd nip down for a look, only to be greeted by Mr Blue Cod and a couple of his mates.  First one I've seen around the S Isalnd, and I was stoked to have a chance at one.  A decent breath up, and I was soon on the bottom.  It was textbook stuff - laid flat, stirred up the sand, kept my head down and when I looked up there was the biggest of the lot eying me up.  A nice easy shot and he was mine.  Sweet!

Headed back to the shallows, met up with the others and after grabbing a few paua we hopped out. 

Fd3s with his first butter:

Not for too long though as we all got back in again - it was just too good to resist!  I headed back out to the blue cod spot and found another takeable fish, then foraged for some more crays.  We ended up with 8 crays, limit of paua, and a load of butters, the blue cod and one nice moki. 

A good South Island haul:

After a bit of R&R at the pub for beer and carbs, we headed off home to finally get back 13 hours after leaving.  Bit tired last night.

It was great to be out there, and I can feel my breath-hold and general underwater fitness improving from dive to dive.  Still getting leg and foot cramps though - how can I avoid these?  Finally, kudos to Anthony for persistence despite being underweighted, he kept at it for ages after we'd all got out in order to secure his first blackfoot & yellowfoot paua, along with some (not so tasty, as he found out Dead) kina.   Full marks for effort. Clap

Now to get ready to do it all over again next weekend Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bad uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 10:38am
Bad uncle View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

swet pics andy. bbq went down good to, but none of the girls were keen to try the kina, oh well more for me.

and yea bit of a bummer flelixx had the call out, but hay they save some poor bugers life, so big ups to them for that, and there's allways next week.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote R Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 12:02pm
R Jack View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

teezer that's interesting you saw cod there as well - I found them waaay shallower than I've ever seen them there before, and friendly as hell. I almost felt bad shooting them (almost). I dropped my gun while the guncam was on as one stage and they all cruised up looking into the lens LOL
Page  123 365>