A report for Far Quirk!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote T T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A report for Far Quirk!
    Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 4:50pm
T T View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I wish I could say I've been into some fish but no luck at all. I'm on the road for work at the moment so have been having a few quick digs at some rivers around the N.I. I just keep an old 7wt rod in the car and a few flies etc, no waders so it's a wee bit prohibitive but I pack light for a reason, so as to not spend too much time getting carried away on the water.
Had a nosey a couple of day ago up the Waitahanui, walked from the road up to the Gordon Williams fishing mainly the shallower riffles with a green beetle. Didn't see a single fish the whole time, usually there's a couple sitting in some spots up the top but nothing that day. Bit of a shame but a good walk nonetheless.
Had a quick walk around the lower TT the next day but high winds made it difficult and a few of the paths were overgrown. The spot I wanted to fish was already occupied so ended up just fishing for half an hour or so before heading off, again no fish seen.
Shot through to the Bridge Pool at the Tonga just to have a look in the water. Spotted what I assumed to be a big brown nosied in behind a rock and a few others sitting in the middle of the current. There was a guy already fishing so I just pointed the lies out to him and left him to it.
Next stop was the Maingatinoka river just off the main road, too windy again to get a good enough cast across to the good water (without wading) so just had a few drifts and headed off.
Then onto the Ruamahanga at the Martinborough section, some really good looking water where the river split into two which I could easily access. Lifted some rocks and saw a lot of cased caddis and a few nymphs so fished a heavy H&C and flashback PT. Again no luck, the river was a really dark blue / green so I'm not sure if it's always like that. Definitely keen to go back there again a bit better prepared and make a couple of days of it walking the river. Looks exceptional.
Still have another three weeks on the road so hopefully I can update this with some South Island success stories somewhere along the line.
It just makes me realise how amazingly lucky we are to have so much available water in the country just on the side of the road. My best fish so far was a 5 pound brown I caught in the Kaitoke in between meetings!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 5:55pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Fantastic report L B G!!!!  I know some of that water, and I know what it's like to go several sessions without a fish.  I was based at the Edgecumbe dairy factory and fished several rivers around there.  Rangitaiki, Whakatane & Waimana and maybe the Tarawera & even shot up to Rotoehu one evening.  Beautiful water, generally all to myself.  Saw a few trout but despite my best clumsy efforts with both fly and spinner, over about 12 sorties I didn't hook one fish.  Priceless experience tho'.  The locals laughed at me.  Used to say that 4 or five fish was their usual catch.Embarrassed
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!