Coromandel Habour

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BeachedAsBro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:30am
BeachedAsBro View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

About 7km's north og Coro township is Oamaru Bay. Has a ramp, it's free and it's close to some great fishing grounds (mussel farms, reefs and islands)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish caught will we realise we can't eat money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 1:55pm
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kauabunga kauabunga wrote:

Junketer how did you get on at coromandel? I am heading down there next week

Hey, this is probably too late 4 ya. Anyway, first off this was the first time I'd ever been fishing in my 1st ever boat so while the fishing may not have been that great due to my inexperience i still had a blast.  Only managed 2 trips out & 1st time was middle of the day with my bro-in-law & 4 yr old son so we didnt venture too far from Te Kouma boat ramp - only out to the second mussel farm out to the left of ramp.  Ramp/parking fee was only $6 not the $10 as mentioned earlier by others.  I just bought a ramp pass from the BP station in town - never saw the old guy down at the ramp. Good ramp to launch from & it helped that there wasnt a lot of traffic down there the times i went.  Just stay clear of those mussel boats when theyre in unloading.

After having a bit of difficulty getting the boat in the right spot & attached to the mussel farm we dropped lines & were into bites str8 away & the bro-in-law hauled up a very nice trev & undersize snapper on his very first drop.  Unfortunately all of the snapper around up there at the moment seem to be on the small side but we did get a couple of keepers so had enough for a feed.  Second trip was early to mid-morning & went out to western side of Cow & Calf islands just out the harbour entrance.  The snapper were a bit better but still heaps of small ones. Took 5 back home along with 3 nice Cod.  Also got a small gurnard & small shark which went back.  Everyone up there was saying evening is the best time but it just didnt work out for me 2 get out at that time. Maybe next year!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 2:03pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

cool,least you got to know the place and can venture further next time,i will be heading up there in the first week of march for 7 days but will b heading up to fantail bay for most of the time,cant wait!!Big smile
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishabunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:17pm
Fishabunga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

thanks for the report junketer.  I am heading down to coromandel tomorrow  I will let you know how i get on.  It is good to know that the ramp fee has come down too .

Thanks JohnThumbs Up
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:48am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

weather should be settled for you fullas, if you can work the Oamaru bay ramp with top half of the tide, the farms straight out may be worth a shot, outer lines or up to 6 lines in better for tidal flow. If out by cow and calf, try the reef on NW of the cow on incoming. Hey you might have your spots sorted anyhow.

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote junketer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 8:25pm
junketer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kauabunga kauabunga wrote:

thanks for the report junketer.  I am heading down to coromandel tomorrow  I will let you know how i get on.  It is good to know that the ramp fee has come down too .

Thanks JohnThumbs Up

No worries & good luck!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishabunga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 7:36pm
Fishabunga View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I am back from coromandel

over 3 days of fishing we caught 3 keepable snapper, mainly in or near the mussel farms around te kouma and coromandel.  The biggest mistake we made was not going out at the change of light as the locals suggested but being a area that we were not familiar with we were not keen on traveling in the dark.
FISH FIGHT AOTEAROA THE PEOPLES PROTEST
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lerlamadrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 12:40pm
lerlamadrid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, i know this is an old thread. I am new to boating and have fished 4-5 times here in Wanganui with my small 4.7m fiberglass boat.

I am planning to go to Coromandel and would anyone give me a suggestion on where to go fishing "without bar crossings"? And from previous messages are there still people who you can pay to assist with launch and retrieval of trailer boat, how does this work? Thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 2:31pm
Barrie View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you stay at Anglers Lodge, They will launch your boat for you. All you have to do is sit in the boat while they use their tractor and the same on retrieving.
Great fishing and great area.
Down side is that its no good on a westerly or north westerly with any strenght
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 10:11pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

there's no bars in coromandel on the western side, only the eastern side. fishing has been a bit slow lately as is usual for this time of the year. The only place that I have had consistent reports of snapper is under the workups out in the middle. Judging by the weather at the moment that would be the last place you would want to go
Page  <12