Rabbit plague

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tone E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 8:51am
Tone E View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can help with those big black hairy rabbits with big tusks that plow the ground up and eat lambs.

By the way, don't let the dog eat the dead or dying rabbits. Pindone is very like ferrotox ( 2nd generation anti-coagulants) as used for possums and secondary poisoning is a very real possibility. Dogs and cats are very sensitive to these poisons and may need much less of it to kill them. Be careful what you eat too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:52pm
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As per last time I posted the rabbit population in central auckland continues to grow - however we seem to have found a means to keep it in check - one of our cats - currently running at avg of 3.5 rabbits per day - peak that we know of is 5 rabbits in the one day... 

Photo from one of Saturday's victims... 

The house looks like a crime scene each morning :-( 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:58pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Anyone else humming the tune to Watership Down?.....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:59pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How does thursday evening and into the night with spot lights, will be 4 of us with .22s where abouts in coatsville are u
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:06pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Was made painfully aware of the importance of allowing
only responsible shooters ... when the other morning found
the rear side window of the sw shattered ... as the result
of a richochet. I know who was responsible .... but trying
not to be too hard on myself even tho wof is due & all
windows need to be intact to comply .... somthing I find a
bit strange as utes, some convertibles etc. don't have any
windows at all towards the rear.

One added hassle that could well do without right now all
the same.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:40am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza you are so right about having the right people coming in and shooting bunnies, if you have cowboys coming in and missing a lot of the rabbits you end up training them to be really shy and any movement and they are down a hole or off on the run. Hence the farm I was talking about only allows very experienced shooters on due this very reason. There are two ways to shoot a farm for rabbit control 1) sniping with a silencer from distance using either a .22 or one of the new .17 calibre rifles and 2) close range/night shooting with a shot gun.

When I was young and living on the farm we had cats that used to catch rabbits, they would find a burrow with young and every night bring home one and eat it in the lounge much to mum's disgust in finding a head and a bit of blood and guts on the floor in the morning, this would go for a week or so until they caught all the young ones. One cat also used to bring home eels, now they make a mess on the carpet, an old Manx cat we had when I ws very young brought home a full grown pheasant one night.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:40am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Saltiga Saltiga wrote:

How does thursday evening and into the night with spot lights, will be 4 of us with .22s where abouts in coatsville are u

Sorry someone coming to shoot Thurs.

Besides reckon 4 at night could be an "overkill" ( no pun intended )
two max. probably in the interests of safety.

Any neighbours in the near vicinity need to be informed as courtesy
but even so four armed guys wandering about, blasting away would
run the risk of someone reporting a terrorist attack.

Will let you know if an oportunity presents itself .... 2 max ..... altho
curretly have a list of about a dz names that want to shoot plus
the two guys from last week want to return, for a longer session.

Cheers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:51am
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by deepblue deepblue wrote:

mean photo there DeepBlue - I like it!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:28pm
kens View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hellcat LOL
The past, the present and the future walked into a bar.

It was tense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:38pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Busted, shooting does not keep the numbers down to a satisfactory level, there are several other neighbouring farms with similar rabbit numbers (probably 1000 ha in total), poisoning is the best option but this is very expensive.

if possible, I would be keen to go and shoot some. Wont help his problem but a few less is a few less
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:11pm
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

She's a pussy - and loving and gentle but a rabbit killer....  we have the tails on our fridge at home now, along side school reports and children's photos - we are running out of room for bunny tails... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:20pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bushpig, when I was on the farm I asked about doing some shooting myself but the owner made it clear that she only lets shooters on that she knows and who are very good shots. Very concerned about scaring rabbits rather than killing rabbits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:59pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you're worried about scaring bunnies ban .22 subsonic ammo.

Sounds weird but the little buggers get to know the whine is bad for their health, if you miss.  And the richocets are shocking, if you shoot standard or high-vel only you don't get richcets as the bullets shatter on impact.

We're going back to the .22 hornets and .222.223's, as the .17's and the ilk have too much bark even with a supressor.  Once you have shot a couple of nights, one shot from the .17 puts them down the holes in the next farm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 4:23pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Bushpig, when I was on the farm I asked about doing some shooting myself but the owner made it clear that she only lets shooters on that she knows and who are very good shots. Very concerned about scaring rabbits rather than killing rabbits.

Thats fine, can understand that.

I shoot clays every Thursday night, was just looking for live targets

I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:08pm
Kezza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Busted!

the .22 Hornet and .22 Mag are o'sum small game projectiles....nothing says 'vermin! you're about to get laid the f##k-out' like squeezing the trigger on one of those bad boys.....Evil Smile....used to shoot a Sako .222 and a Ruger 10/22... Heart.....

anyone shooting the .22MAG/.410 Shotgun combos for rabbits?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:38pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

[

if you shoot standard or high-vel only you don't get richcets as the bullets shatter on impact.

[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ re no ricochets from high velocity .22 & the recently
shattered broken rear side window of my wagon bears testimony
to the fact!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deepblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:25pm
deepblue View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As mentioned earlier the .18 HMR rifles are preferred by Ak City Council shooters.. with scopes and silencers... lots of youtube video;s of this caliber and small vermin 

(no longer needed on my backyard - a full size rabbit in the kitchen tonight..) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Anyone ever tried minced up rabbit as burley ?????

Maybe that would be the answer .... "Bazza's Bunny Berley"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Busted! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:37pm
Busted! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

[

if you shoot standard or high-vel only you don't get richcets as the bullets shatter on impact.

I beg to differ re no ricochets from high velocity .22 & the recently
shattered broken rear side window of my wagon bears testimony
to the fact!
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant you don't get the loud whine as the bullet changes direction suddenly.  You do get bits flying with the standard and high velocity rounds, but they don't tend to whine like the subbies.  I got told it's due to the subsonic's not breaking up on impact, the whole lot just decides to change direction.

Dunno why they like the .17's in Auckland council, too expensive and loud compared to the others.  Its a nice gun to shoot, just really loud and hopeless in any sort of crosswind at range.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:39pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All good bazza, was just trying to help you out, shoot plenty up north on the farm along with pigs. sweet as
Page  <123>