AUCKLAND VIS/LATEST DIVE

Page  <1 468469470471472>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote chillwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 12:29pm
chillwave View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

was out at the barrier yesterday. viz not spectacular but still good. water is warm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grim Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:10pm
Grim Sleeper View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got this yesterday, goes to show the water is unusually warm for this time of year. It was in only about 5 meters of water too. Came in for a look when I shot one of the JD's. Didn't even have time to take the JD off the shaft, just reloaded and shot it, does that count as a two for one shot? All in all the dive wasn't the best, vis wise, fish wise until my way back in when I got these. Would have never of though a Boarie would be in that shallow. At a spot that a lot of people would just swim past too, as I have done plenty of times. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Greenbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 5:01pm
The Greenbone View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Shot out for a dive at Te Arai yesterday morning. Water was probably 5m but hazy. Managed to find a JD lurking. It was very small, but I hadn't been spotting them lately so was pleased to break the drought. Plenty of bait fish around but only rat kingis were in attendance. A couple of panny snaps and some Kahawai were also taken by the team. Not a great dive but not a bad dive at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote olenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 6:36pm
olenz View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Anyone here dove te arai this morning and left a pair of gloves on the beach?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote James spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:10pm
James spearo View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Anyone diving tomorrow ? Let me know ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 1:05pm
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Great Barrier yesterday- average viz, lots of crays about, none soft yet.  Only saw one hen in berry. 
Lots of small snaps about but nothing spectacular.
****ty trip home in the wind and chop.
Big thanks to the guys in the tinny who'd been to littleB spearfishing.  Had an engine electrical fault that killed it as we got to ti point on the way back.  Many thanks for the tow back to omaha.
Interestingly saw what looked like a big green parrotfish (40-50cm), with a whitish chin mark at sugar loaves.   No idea what it was, never seen one before.  Was hanging around at the end of the drop off at the east end.
Any thoughts Herb or the other fish fiends?

14 snapper fillets, "enough for a feed" ?!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 5:09pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Saw one at the aldies 5 years ago too. Never found out what it was.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:34pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Be a Green wrasse lots of them out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 9:10pm
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

definately not a green wrasse, seen plenty of those, head was a different shape and body was far more solid, shape was more like a sheephead from california.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 11:47pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tuskfish?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 4:52am
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

http://torckler.photoshelter.com/image/I0000.B6D6bnQHLk

Green wrasse?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 9:46am
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by fish food fish food wrote:

Tuskfish?

I reckon that's it!  I should have shot it and sent ti to te papaLOL
Is the water really getting so much warmer?!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote herby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm
herby View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Of course! If it looks like a weird fish shoot it - in the name of science.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish food Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 3:05pm
fish food View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or gopro it.
Black spot tuskfish, it has a pale blue? chin and is greenish all over . A baldchin groper hasa white chin but that's west oz only.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 5:57pm
tom1 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by fish food fish food wrote:

Or gopro it.
Black spot tuskfish, it has a pale blue? chin and is greenish all over . A baldchin groper hasa white chin but that's west oz only.

looked like the big one in your pic, looked darker green but then I was at 14m 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote powerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:15am
powerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went for a shory yesterday,Father and son mission at Mungawhai .Viz was not to bad.6m and a little brown but fishable,couldnt beleive the amount of Kahawhai.WAs fully expecting kingfish,but nadda.Was a very pleasant couple of hours.The smoker is full thismorning .Smoked Kahawhai for lunch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lemonshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:44pm
Lemonshot View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Waters clear Dow te arai, pretty fishy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fuzzybabybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:41pm
fuzzybabybunny View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, I'm a tourist visiting NZ with my freediving gear (no scuba). I know it's a big ask, but can someone recommend any specific spots somewhat close to Auckland where I might be able to grab my limit of paua? I'll only be in the country for two more weeks. I just wanna go rent a weight belt for a day and get some paua and head back to AKL. No spearing.

I don't have a boat so it would need to be a shore dive. When I was in Australia I wasted a lot of time going to random rocky outcroppings only to come up empty handed :(
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishFingers29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:24pm
FishFingers29 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey bud,

Ya can't scuba for Paua in NZ, a big no no. And you will certainly be hard pressed to find any around Aucklands water...
Page  <1 468469470471472>